iPad How I think full games wouldn'twork on the iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Cashoo, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Cashoo

Cashoo Member

Dec 21, 2008
    I don't think full games would work on the iphone for the one simple reason there wouldn't be enough room since most full games would be over 500Mbs so you would run out of space quite quickly.

2. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    'yes, but u can delete games. Its not like you have 3 games in the DS at all times. Also, apple could have some sort of online solution.

3. Jaytee

Jaytee Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2009
    You are a genius! Have you checked if apple is hiring? You really seem to have a clear vision for the future.

4. ibelongintheforums

Jan 4, 2009
    were you talking to me?
    and if you were, were u being sarcastic?
    and if u werent being sarcastic, thanks!!!

5. lcwz

lcwz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2008
    PSPs use 4 or 8GB memory cards for games, and they work.

6. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Well, not for completely 'legal' games, but for backups and such I can have a lot of psp games on it. You'd be surprised how well people can format and compress files so that they're very high quality but take up very little space...

7. ibelongintheforums

Jan 4, 2009
    yes, but thts not the primary place to play games. The UMDS are.

8. Cashoo

Cashoo Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Yea but you have easy access to the games since you have the game cards. It would be annoying to keep having to redownload the games.

9. VWXYZ

VWXYZ Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    I don't think its an issue.

I have an 8 GB iPod
    1 GB used for music (I might even be able t shrink it a little if I really wanted)
    1 GB for video (video podcasts, this is needed)

And around 1 GB for firmware, sound podcasts and pictures

that leaves me with 5 GB for apps! right now im using 1 and im at 34 apps (having beat maker (120 MB), PayBack (200 MB) and Tap Tap Revenge with everything downloaded being three of them)

I think I could have 3-4 full retail games on this no problem.

10. ibelongintheforums

Jan 4, 2009
    yes, thts a good point it would be annoying. but the iphone cannot take the DS or PSP because the iphone isnt competeing for the same spending dollars as the DS and PSP are. You dont ask yourself, should i get the ds or a phone? you say tht u will get both. But, back on ur topic, look at rolando its not 500 megabytes and its a "full" game.

11. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    This thread has made my day, thank you all for participating.

12. lcwz

lcwz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Come to think of it, I would still rather have my PSP games stored in my memory stick than to carry the UMDs around. Even if it means I have to replace the games every now and then.

I would certainly not mind doing the same for my iPhone.

13. ibelongintheforums

Jan 4, 2009
    How has it made your day?

14. lcwz

lcwz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2008
    You probably wouldn't have time to play that many different games at a time anyway. Usually, most people finish(or get sick of) a couple of full games before they go on with others. Then, you can just unsync those games, and sync in new ones.

15. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    Just reading posts #1-4 is all, put a smile on my face. :D

16. ibelongintheforums

Jan 4, 2009
    Exactly what i mean.

I used to have a PSP and DS(sold it for ipotch) and i didnt even carry around every game i had. So yea, if you beat the game you can delete it and lets say its immpossible to beat the game, (scoops, trism, frenzic, smiles) you can still keep it on there. Hypthetically, if every game was 500 mega bytes (which they wont be) you could fit around 16 games(one page) on your idevice. (tht number will most likely get larger due to file sizes shrinking and apple adding more memory). Anyways, can you really think of 16 games?
    really?

17. ibelongintheforums

Jan 4, 2009
    he still hasnt responded. Maybe he wasnt talking about me?

18. bensashi

bensashi Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Your problem is assuming that the quality of a game is related to the amount of space is takes up on a hard drive. What are you defining as a "full game"? Vay, one of the first games available on the app store, is a remake of an old RPG and if memory serves me correctly clocks in well under 100 MB. I haven't personally played through the entire thing but I would imagine it offers 10-20 hours of gameplay, similar to the single player experiences of most games on current consoles.

I would say the vast majority of the Nintendo DS library clocks in under 300 MB as well...I believe the size of a lot of the ROMs are under 100 MB. My point is, you can offer "a lot" of game without "a lot" of size.

I'm assuming by "full game" you are talking about games with photo-realistic 3d visuals/textures and high quality sound. That is when you start to run into issues with disk space. Even then, good developers can figure out how to work around these limitations.

In my opinion, some of the best games on the store right now are some of the smallest in terms of size.

19. ibelongintheforums

Jan 4, 2009
    precisly what i was failing to say.

20. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

Maybe Apple culd let you save games to your computer (save EVERYTHING!) so that you can delete the game on your iPod.
    And if you want to play it again you can put it back on again from your computer (with savegames!)