How does one stifle an app addiction?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Kamazar, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    It'a tiny purchase after tiny purchase that turns into a big hefty purchase that hurts to look at. How do I stop it? Or slow it down? It huuurts... make it stop...

2. Killquake

Killquake Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2008
    I recently got a new labtop and I havn't bought anything in a month compared to my constant spending a while ago

3. AppStoreGamer

AppStoreGamer Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    HA!

Steve Jobs has you right where he wants you.....

(if you're a member of this forum, chances are you have the same problem too)

4. MetaNick

MetaNick Well-Known Member

Try viewing only the free apps. Look at all the Top 100 Free lists and download a ton of those. Maybe that will take your mind off wanting more.

5. PoV

PoV Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2008
    London, Ontario, Canada
    *cough* *cough*, play more Smiles. ;)

6. either do this or smash your device with a hammer many times as hard as you can

7. arono

arono Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Sam's town
    I would love to hear a good solution coz i actually have the same problem. Though i don't spend as much of people around here that has blown more than $700 dollars in the app store i would be happy to stop spending money on it i have spent exactly $143 and i really promise that bobby carrot will be the last one

8. RedStaR

RedStaR Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    #8 RedStaR, Jan 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
    Your not addicted to buying apps
    Your addicted to buying things in general.
    Seeings how the appstore always has something to buy thats where you can get your fix.

I am the sameway, but I found after impulsive purchase after impulsive purchase, that something just don't add up. Somewher good value some stunk. But why the need to buy? Because I just have to see how it is.

Lately the games have been getting better...which gives me better forsight before purchasing. Comparing to other apps and their prices. Knowing the app store stigma for imenent price drops.

Before I found a way to preview and or get apps for free (NOT BY JAILBREAKING) I easily have bought 90% of the games in the store.

I don't spend near as much as I do in Dec-Jan then Jul-Aug.

But resourcing and reviews, not having to be the first, and setting a standard of app development all helped shape my future purchase desicions.

So I said to myself "what is on my phone/mac now that I would keep forever?"
    and I set a standard right there.
    no more cutsy games. no more puzzles......If it isn't as good as the least best game I would keep then I'll wait for someone eles to play because they will lord knows theres gonna be someone before you.

9. Flunkie

Flunkie Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Run out of money and it won't be a problem anymore.

I was addicted too.

10. CBraun53

CBraun53 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Don't buy a new game until you complete a couple of the games that you already have purchased.

11. PHARTGAMES

PHARTGAMES Well-Known Member

Make your itunes go directly the the DS Effects page when it loads.

Problem solved.

12. BOWB4ZOD

BOWB4ZOD Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Director, Producer, Editor
    Ontario, Canada
    i bought AppSniper and ever since then i tend to not buy new apps right away. I want to put them in this app for a while to let them drop in price. I have kind of made my addiction less about buying them right away to adding things to AppSniper.

Also I have changed my App Store pass code to something quite long. Sometimes I am just to lazy to enter all the letters and numbers. I also had an idea of generating a complicated pass code and making that my App Store one. Then I can't just buy apps anytime anywhere, I have to be at home and look up my pass code. But i have not tried this yet.

I find it helps a lot to get yourself over the initial new app excitement. There have been a few solid apps that i wanted so bad and could not wait for (Hero of Sparta and Monopoly are the two big ones) Once they came out I added them to AppSniper to wait for reviews. Then I decided to get them on the next price drop. That has come and now i am in no huge rush to buy them. So just getting over that first excited period I find helps a lot.

hope this helps

13. RedStaR

Jan 7, 2009
    as an *appdicted (copywritten) person It's wierd to see people post new threads asking if they should get Brothers in Arms or Hero of Sparta.

As I read those threads I'm thinking to myself "How have you not bought both of them yet?"

14. RaNd0m

RaNd0m Active Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Try getting a next generation console... my ps3 wasn't distracting me from the apps because cod4 was getting old... until I got socom and fallout =)

15. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    You might as well ask a room full of drunks how to stop drinking:p

16. alza

alza Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    lol !

17. RedStaR

Jan 7, 2009

too true

18. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    good idea. I have a 360, incidentally. hard to play fallout 3 with little kids running around, though. they keep pulling off the earplugs and blindfolds.

LMAO!

19. floob

floob Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Hi. I'm floob. I too am an appstore addict.

20. RM imagery

RM imagery Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Photographer (interiors, architecture, abstract ar
    Long Island, NY
    See what you can afford on a monthly basis and set a weekly budget for yourself. I avg. $8-$10/week but i'm trying to bring it down to $6.

Maybe yours will be $5. $20/month is not that bad - considering the enjoyment we get out of it. There's a lot of good stuff avail. @ the $5-$6 range. If you buy one of those - that's it for the week (outside of free apps of course).

Those .99 games add up but 3 or 4 of those per week is alright.I love appsniper and went crazy with it when i first got it. Now, i have 8 snipes in my range but i'm not pulling the trigger as fast.

With this site and all the info we have - we can make educated purchases much better. It just takes discipline.