iPad How does Chess With Friends work, exactly?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ravenvii, Jan 18, 2009.

1. ravenvii

ravenvii Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    I noticed something strange about Chess With Friends. Are you truly playing with human players when you create a game with a random opponent?

I ask this because I noticed how quickly a game was created when I create a game with a random player. Are there really that many players creating a random game and getting matched up?

And further, I noticed that every time I created a random game, I'm the white player. Every time.

So it made me wonder. How exactly does it work?

2. {klondike}

{klondike} Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Rapture. It sucks.
    All I know is that you play chess with friends. It doesn't state if those friends are real or not though.

3. Babalu

Babalu Member

Jan 2, 2009
    They are real.

Like myself people start up maybe 5 games at a time, sometimes more. maybe 1 or 2 games will start immediately, while sometimes some wont start for 10+ minutes.

4. ravenvii

ravenvii Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    I never had to wait more than 30 seconds, and I was ALWAYS on the white side.

And yes I have 5 games going on. I'm white in all of them. As well as the 15+ games I've played before that.

5. Mahaa93

Mahaa93 Well-Known Member

On your screen, you are always white, and on your opponent's screen, he is always white.

6. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    That's not true. From my experience, you get white when you get an instant gameplay. If you get a waiting time whilst it's searching for an opponent, then you get black.
    I've played lots of this game, and yes, most of the time I am white (because I do get an instant game), but sometimes I am black.

I can show screenshots if you want...

7. Monopoly

Monopoly Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    i think if you clikc find a game and DONT quit the app while it searches for someone then you get White. If you do do quit the app and come back an hour later or w/e then it will give White to the person who u got matched with who has their app open

8. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    That wouldn't make sense. Who goes first?

9. Noah

Noah Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Sr. Web Developer
    Atlanta, GA
    I've played something like 100+ Chess w/ Friends games... and sometimes I am white, sometimes I am black. *shrug*

10. Newtoy

Newtoy New Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Chess With Friends Random Opponent

Hello!

You are always matched with a real player in Chess With Friends. There should be a 50/50 chance of being black or white depending on whether you were the even or odd player to start searchin for a random opponent. This will also determine if you are put in a game immediately or if you need to wait until another player searches for a game.

Also, quitting the app or waiting 30 seconds for your games list to refresh should not effect the outcome of the opponent search.

Happy

Regards,
    David Bettner
    Newtoy Inc

11. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    what chess with friends need is a mode to dedicated gameplay... meaning timed battles... either you checkmate fast or you count the remaining pieces at the end.

12. yankjenets

yankjenets Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    No. A live mode would be cool, but I don't believe thats the purpose of Chess With Friends--it's supposed to be a casual chess game. And your second suggestion is just retarded.