iPad How do you like to control games?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by iScarFace, Feb 23, 2009.

1. iScarFace

iScarFace Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    I recently downloaded a game which got me frustrated a little bit due to the way it was controlled.

So my question to those who play games on their device is:

What type of controls do you like in the game?

There are many types of controls in games, such as; Joy Sticks, D-Pads, Sliding, Tapping, Tilting, and other ways.

My favorite way to control a game depends on the type of game.

-If it is a retro game such as Pacman, I like to use the joy stick type of control.
    -Though if it is a game such as Pocket Sports Football I like to use the D-Pad for better controlling.
    -However, if it is a racing game such as Fastlane I like to use tilting to control it, and touching to make the gas / breaks go.
    -Last but not least, I like to use a control stick like on Hero of Sparta for fighting games like that. How ever some fighting games I like to use d-pads like on Bomber Online, or Zombieville.

So I ask you, What type of control is it you like? Explain.

2. i like to have multiple options for controlling them

i enjoy Drop Ship's controls a lot

i suck at using the tilt in most games except for 2079 and blue attack

3. Blaqkie

Blaqkie Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    I guess it all depends on what game it is. For things like Snail Mail, I prefer touch, but for things like Ferrari GT I prefer the accelerometer. It just depends really.

4. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    My thoughts exactly. I really like Dropship because you can start the motion anywhere as long as it's on one side of the screen.

5. iScarFace

iScarFace Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    I suck at the ones that have an insane type of tilt. If you don't know what I mean, well... I mean that game which you have to hold your iPhone upside down completely in order to move up or down.

6. Owl

Owl Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    I like iDracula's controls. Not exactly like Dropships, because the rings move in dropshop. I like how iDracula's wheel things stay put.

7. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Depends where I am. If I'm in public I like simple swiping or tapping games.

I'll play more demanding tilt controlled games while I'm at home in a comfy chair or something

8. it seemed to help a lot on rolando to tilt it down that much... but then it's a pain in the butt

whatever happened to calibration ?!

polished my ass ! come on

9. mavis

mavis Well-Known Member

Same here. I generally hate accelerometer-only games, although some games 'feel' ok with it (Blue Attack comes to mind) ... For touch controls, Dropship's implementation is awesome, as is Snail Mail for racing and Bomberman for d-pad.

10. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008

I held my touch at a 90 degree angle once. the little circles still moved like mollasses.

11. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    That part I put in bold stood out for me.

You prefer Snail Mail's touch controls?

That's pretty strange, seeing as how that game is one of the games that completely nails accelerometer controls. Smooth as friggin' butter with tilt.

But I digress....

As others stated, it depends on game type. For racers I prefer accelerometer, to the point where if a game has sucky accelerometer controls but good touch controls and people tell me "just use touch" I'll tell them to stuff it. A racer with bad motion sensing is a bad racer, IMHO, no matter how "good" the touch steering may be (*points directly at Asphalt 4).

For puzzle games, touch. For adventure games, touch. For RPGs, touch. For shmups...it depends. Some of them work really well with motion sensing.

It just depends.

12. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Multiple options.

13. spacecowgoesmoo

spacecowgoesmoo Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Composer / Level Designer @ Bovinedragon Software
    Los Angeles, USA
    Depends on the game. Example: DQ4 and 5 for DS. Perfect with no touch screen controls at all; it would be unnecessary.

14. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    I'd rather have the option to choose... if i'm laying down or at a weird angle, i'll choose a touch game, if i'm sitting down or have the device flat, then i can have the tilt controls... If i'm in public or whatever I never use the tilt controls, as i'm not one to make a scene haha

15. TMAC34

TMAC34 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2008
    New York
    I like to control games with my mind.

16. BadYeti

BadYeti Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Depends on the game.

In general, though, I'd say since the iPhone has such small physical dimensions for a screen, my preference is for developers to maximize usable screen real estate by having the main game window take up the whole screen.

Additionally, I tend to dislike accelerometer controls since that makes it difficult to play in various positions, like laying back on the couch or playing a quick game before bed. I also like the idea of being able to play a few minutes of a game discretely in public when you're stuck waiting without having to look like a goob, bending all over the place and rotating your phone for some inexplicable reason.

That leaves the best option for me to be some form of virtual D-Pad overlay. iDracula, Hero of Sparta and Rebel Onslaught would all be examples of control schemes that I'm happy with.

17. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    The only people who look like "goobs" when using accelerometer controls are those that don't "get" the fact that generally only very slight motions are needed. If people are throwing their device around like spazzes, then, yeah, they look like spazzes, but that's because they don't "get" it.

It's kinda the same deal with Wiimote controls. Some people simply don't "get" it and they're the ones that usually complain about "not wanting to flail their arms around like maniacs just to play a game".

18. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    It depends on the game. Some just feel natural with accelometer controls, while feel stupid with touch controls, and vice versa. You just have to find the right control scheme, and options to calibrate.

Multiple control schemes are usually ideal since different people take different takes on games.