how do I find out where/when my iPhone app was featured?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by headcaseGames, Nov 26, 2010.

1. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    This may sound like a stupid question, but how do I find out what countries and when my app was featured in? I seem to keep finding out after the fact, it is very frustrating.

If it shows up in N&N in the US store of course I will see it, but both appFigures and appannie (we use them for daily sales reports) don't seem to single out what stores the game was featured in, if at all.

It's rather cumbersome to select through EVERY store by hand and check the history. Of course if the game is getting attention then I want to do something immediately to capitalize on it..

thanks for your help!

2. Ciechan

Ciechan Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2010
    Poland
    As far as I know appannie will show the featured status on the day after getting featured. Since apps get featured on friday, you can expect appannie to display it tommorow.

3. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    i just tell you :)

4. Moonjump

Moonjump Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    Game designer
    Lincoln, UK
    On App Annie, it says on the right of the App Details page for the app how many times it was featured. Click on the number to find out where in the world.

For example it says for my game TiltStorm that it was featured in 286 places. I then click on the 286 and it has listings such as: United States Arcade > New & Noteworthy.

5. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    well headcase was more interested to get knowledge when an app becomes featured.

the where is secondary if you don't even know that you are being features.. i find it more than odd that apple can't even notifiy you with an ordinary email.

somehow appannie is tracking that.. but they only update daily and sometimes get things wrong..

anyway.. since they are capable of getting the data somehow everyone should be able todo that.. its just the question how?!

6. CurlyBrace

CurlyBrace Member

I can't seem to find the specific categories that appannie mentions. For example, it says that my game Sjoelen is now featured in the Dutch app store in the categories iPhone > Family > What's Hot and iPhone > Kids > What's Hot, but I can't seem to find these categories anywhere. On my iPhone, the "featured" section doesn't have any categories, and neither does the "What's Hot" section on iTunes.

Or am I interpreting too much into what appannie says, and it's just that it's featured in "What's Hot", and happens to be in the Family and Kids categories?

I also understand that appannie lists these things they day after they happened, which would explain that I can't see it anymore.

Too bad, I'd loved a screen shot of iTunes listing my game as "hot" :)

7. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    iPhone Developer
    It's there.

Screen shot

The thing with these category features is that it's worthless for sales. If even the developer has a hard time finding it, then there's little hope for the consumer. This section also has 120 titles at the moment and can only show a handful at a time, so your app might have a 1/6 chance of coming up on the rare occasion someone does look at this subsection.

8. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    well i agree on the "uselessness" ... nice word hehe..

apple is "promoting" too many apps.. if the promoted item list is so big it is losing its usefullness.. it just becomes another list.. like subcategorie top list etc..

but thats what developer wanted.. more visibility.. but if everyone is visible no one is... :)

9. CurlyBrace

CurlyBrace Member

Ooh... I missed the fact that there's chance involved even if you are featured. Interesting - I should probably have refreshed the page a few times.

Given that there are probably a lot of page views on that App Store section, I suppose featured apps do pop up on peoples' screens now and then.

I've been "featured" in 286 categories, according to appannie, but I haven't seen many extra sales resulting from that. Perhaps it'll make a difference in the Dutch app store, since the vast majority of my sales are from there.

(Although I'd welcome a break elsewhere in the world...)

10. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany

well if you got featured in a subsection.. it actualy means no visibility at all..
    thats just of interest if anyone uses itunes for browsing subcategories.. and i never bought a single game over itunes.. i always browse on the actualy device..

nowerday being featured doesnt mean being features.. :)

if you are features under higlits in the (mobile) appstore that actualy is worth alot.. itunes features.. well mean jack ... as hard as it sounds.. apple could remove thoose "sub" features completly and no one would even notice.