How difficult is Eliss?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by wootbean, Apr 9, 2009.

1. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    I was considering purchasing this game but i looked at the reviews and many of them were complaining about the difficulty being so high that it makes the game near impossible around level 10 (some were whining about it being too hard at level 3). I don't want to spend $4 on something that I'll find too frustrating and never come back too. Just how hard is the game?

2. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    i was on the edge about purchasing this game for about 2 weeks and finally caved. it is a GREAT game. it is very difficult, but why have an easy game. im only on level 5 and i play it when i get a chance to sit down and try to tackle a level. so far not close to impossible but i cant speak for any level beyond 5. just my experience, i think its for sure worth picking up. hope i helped a bit

3. anduril_ukr

anduril_ukr Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Student
    New Jersey
    very very hard but very very fun. i have been stuck on level 9 forever. if you don't like hard games, you probably wouldn't like it. but its fun and unique and enjoyable

4. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    It's one of the toughest games I've tried. I don't know if its Fast Lane difficult, but it's up there.

It's not impossible, though. I'd still recommend it.

5. foppajoe

foppajoe Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    #5 foppajoe, Apr 9, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
    It is very difficult. Level 3 is really hard, but once u get passed it, it gets pretty easy till level 8. I would never com back to play it but the music and visuals are so good!!

6. wootbean

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    the only ipod game i currently have that i found really hard is space ninja, does anyone know how the difficulty levels for these two might compare?

7. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    They're about equal, IMO. They're not the same kind of difficult, though.

8. ixBilalxi

ixBilalxi Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Fremont, Ca Bay Area
    Fastlane is easy for me(after 2 months) but this game is freakin hard man.

The other hard game i play is geodefense.

9. arono

arono Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Sam's town
    I can tell you that this game is relally, really hard so if you don't like challenges don't get it coz it's not for you
    I was on the edge of getting this one a couple weeks ago when the 5-hour sale ended but I still got it and there are no regrets
    Right now I'm stuck ok level 12 and try it more than 5 times a day but still can't get through it but I still recommend this game a lot

10. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    It is difficult, but it is also very innovative, so it is worth the trouble, IMO.

11. wootbean

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    well i caved in and bought the game :) i'm liking it so far, haven't gotten to the frustrating levels yet maybe ;)
    got up to level 6, had to retry 5 a few times. i don't see what was so hard about level 3 tho

12. Benegesserit

Benegesserit Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Geodefense is cake compared to this. It does really cruel things like tie up 4 of your fingers (with large planets) while popping up new wrong color planets under all the ones you have currently seperated from each other.

A lot of fun but really unforgiving. You lose health really fast. It's a nearly perfect game for those looking for a real challenge, I just wish you didn't have to mash your finger all around the screen to pick up the health triangles. That part seems poorly designed.

13. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    I read somewhere it'll actually become easier with 3 sets of difficulty ;p

14. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    Extremely hard. Got it, deleted it.

15. MrMiller

MrMiller Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    you sound like a real winner :)

16. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    I spoke to the developer about it at GDC.

As superbad said, he's going to make it easier. He gave me some statistics, I wish I remembered exactly. This might be off: but there were something like 4000 people who played it, and only 2 made it to the end (20 levels). And only a handful made it past 10.

That said, it's a great game... I recommend it, and a difficulty modifcation will be coming down the pipe.

arn

17. wootbean

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    that'll be quite welcome
    i've just reached level 10 and am scared to attempt it lol

18. Axl Lowe

Axl Lowe Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    It's very fun, but yes, very challenging. I personally haven't been able to pass level 3 yet, but I do keep trying.

The more you play, the more little strategies you figure out.

19. wootbean

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    level 10 truly is impossible

20. cmfnyc

cmfnyc Active Member

Nov 13, 2008
    A Healthy Dose of Frustration

I love the game, even if it doesn't love me. I'm stuck on Level 7, though I got close to completing it a couple of times last night. Alas, I missed a crucial slow motion power-up. It may take me years to reach Level 20, but I don't mind.

Three things make Eliss stand out for me.

1. It's a true iPhone/iPod Touch game. By that I mean you cannot really play it on the DS or PSP.

2. As someone over 30, I find Eliss a time-warp. It maps today's technology (multi-touch) and yesterday's look-n-feel. It also reminds me of when difficulty level was part of the fun of playing games. As I've gotten older, my threshold for difficulty has plummeted (in tandem with my freetime!).

3. It adds balance to the games I have on my Touch. I've got plenty of games with variable mode settings from sports to platformers to puzzlers. I often start easy, finish, and then move up. Eliss is a welcome reminder that frustration can be liberating fun.

All that said, if Eliss is the only game on your iPhone or iPod Touch, you may lose your mind. I suggest you pair Eliss with two other games. Edge is a pleasurable platformer/geometric adventure with difficult patches, but plenty of reward. In addition to Edge, you could pick from any of these very distinct games, SlotZ Racer, WordFu, Drop7.

One wish I have would be a meditate setting where you could play a level for as long as you want. The simplest version, you move to the next level only when you die not when you complete the level.