How come no Avatars under user names for this forum?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by aquatic, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    If developers get their own icon, I think the maximum height of the icon should be the space between the timestamp and title of a post; that way it wouldn't really take up any extra room. IMO, that space would be enough to put a logo and name of company.

2. therhino

therhino Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Georgia
    That would be fair, Arn would be doing them a major favor so I doubt they would complain or anything.

3. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Yeah, a banner in the sig would be good.
    But I suppose that would be classed as advertising, so people would have to pay.

4. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

I think just instead of "senior member" or whatnot under their name it should just say developer

5. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    I don't really mind. My current profile picture would make an awful avatar.

6. aquatic

aquatic Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Professional Game Tester
    WA, USA
    Personally I really don't like the idea of only developers getting avatars. I know you want to distinguish them from everyone else but it just isn't fair to everyone else in the gaming community who is not a developer.

Liked the idea of changing senior member/member to say developer instead if they are in fact a developer.

What about only allowing senior members and developers to have avatars or something like that.

I do see how not having them helps make Touch Arcade more mobile friendly but I don't think safari is really THAT slow.. I browse more intense websites still with ease.

I love posting and checking forums and it just feels like Touch Arcade is a bit plain and impersonal compared to other forums. I am pretty sure it's do to not having avatars. ;) Also I am pretty sure that if you did a poll: Avatars or No Avatars, the overwhelming majority of users will say they want them. Just a thought

7. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    I was looking forward to another one of these threads...not.

Seriously, people have enough issues coping with titles so let's not clutter the forum up even more with avatars and rep points. None of this adds anything to the experience of the forum.

8. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I love how everyone is acting as though the addition of avatars somehow turns the forum into a crazy free-for-all where crime rules and nothing is safe. It's just a picture, it's used on thousands of forums with little to no problems. It's possible the mods may have to delete the occasional avatar if it's deemed offensive, but that's what mods are for. If they don't like the job they can revert back to member.

9. Twiddle

Twiddle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    I like the idea of an avatar. Possibly only Senior Members should be able to have avatars, that way no one gets hurt.

I would also like the ability to title myself something, below the Senior Member title.

10. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    #30 Mew2468, Feb 27, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
    The problem with giving the privilege of avatars to Senior Members is that it might cause more spam (Junior Members spamming specifically so they can have an avatar). I think if avatars are given to a select group of members, it should be by join date.

11. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    I actually like the clean look of TA forums. Other sites choked full of avatar pics gave me headaches.

12. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Same. Avatars are unnecessary IMO.

13. aquatic

aquatic Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Professional Game Tester
    WA, USA
    check this out and tell me it's unnecessary!

Attached Files:

14. Deewin

Deewin Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    I like how the forums here don't show avatars. I want to focus on reading comments and not be distracted by annoying avatars.

15. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Changing your name to a capital letter is unnecessary.

16. therhino

Jan 27, 2010
    Georgia
    Yeah my point exactly, but I would like for developers to have a small logo if they choose to do so.

17. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    If we get many avatars like this the forum will look so messy. I shudder at the thought of it.

18. Vester

Vester Well-Known Member

Same, it would make it look kinda trashy

19. therhino

Jan 27, 2010
    Georgia
    Yeah it would be a mess, like "other" forums. I'm not normally against avatars, but when you have a forum overrun with 12 year olds I think it's best to just not have them unless you are a developer.

20. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Animated avatars possibly, but that can be disabled. If it's just images in general that give you headaches then watch out for Google, it'll kill ya.

Too easily distracted. Don't go outside, there are cars there. They move and everything.