How be less awkward/Be more social? -For you, Derek420!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by RJ, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    #21 Kamazar, Sep 2, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
    I had an awful first two years of high school. I mean absolutely miserable. Every single weekend spent at home, hearing about these ridiculous and fun stories about going to the movies (they sound ridiculous and fun, when you spend your evening watching the DVDs you pick up at Blockbuster), fishing, just chilling, whatever. Then, as it turns out, I was trying to hang out with all the wrong people. The people I were subconsciously dismissing are actually some of the funniest and most loyal people I know. Sure, these bonds'll eventually break after college into a muddle awkward mess filled with blurred lines and uncertainty, but honestly, live in the moment. I know this is sounding so cheesy right now, but I'm serious.

As for just getting along with people outside your group, most people have a sort of social schtick they use. For me, it's my sarcasm and sense of humor. I can usually get a chuckle out of someone if I try. Gotta find your crutch to lean on when you're not with friends. As for the girls, you'll know when the one comes along, you just gotta make the effort, which I'm just now starting to find out.

As for parties, drugs, drinks and whatnot, it's not my thing, but if you roll in that crowd, don't be stupid about it, and most importantly, don't be one of those douches the talks about them during school for three months and how they go so wasted/hammered/smashed.

Edit: And not surprisingly, clothes have a huge impact on the way people see you. Don't dress in awkward, 40-year old guys clothes, but don't go overboard with the emo-shit and glitter on pitch black t-shirts. Balance everything out. High school is almost a science.

2. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    I love stupid drama. It raises my self esteem.

3. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    Yeah, it's always entertaining watching everyone else get involved, but I'd prefer to just sit back and laugh at them fight over the most superficial stuff.

4. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Although all the fun is ruined when they go on and on about how bad their life is and how all this bad stuff happens to them even though it's completely their fault.

Otherwise drama is awesome. Adding to it is even better.

5. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    This is beyond true, haha. I still keep in touch with some people from high school (well...vaguely on facebook), and almost all of them are now in community or state schools with like, nothing exciting at all in their future, while i'm at a prestigious liberal arts university. :eek:

6. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    Well, I'm still in high school (albeit a few honors courses a year), and it's kinda all over the place. It's in honors classes as well as the regular academic ones, even if not as much. And, as usual, I sit back, shut up, and pull out a can of chips (which I actually did do once when two people in my class went at it... pretty entertaining).

7. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

I personally believe the key to developing close friendships (er close enough to get invited to crap) is to find ways to make people laugh. If you are funny people always tend to want to spend time with you. If you are just a naturally witty person you can do this with any group, if you are like me and make horrid jokes on a consistent basis, there are still some tactics. My strategy is to find one aspect of humor or type of joke that you can tell that will be funny, pretty much everyone has at least something they can make people laugh with. For me. I am pretty terrible at most things so I can make jokes about myself and people tend to laugh (there is a line there, don't do it all the time or you seem like you hate yourself, and that is no good). I also make sarcastic comments about my extreme abilities at things I actually suck at, at that tends to get a laugh. My bad jokes have actually become good jokes by being bad, people laugh at the fact that I thought that would be funny rather than the actual joke. Just find what you can talk about that makes people laugh and look for ways to use that kind of humour more often.

If you have common interest with a group of people, it also wouldn't be a bad idea to fluctuate toward them.

8. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Yea I can agree with this, humor has taken me long ways in life so far.

9. Drexra

Drexra Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Student
    Colorado
    I had issues with this until right around a week ago when I got to my freshman year of college. Honestly, the big thing is just getting over the first bump, you need to start just walking up to people and start a conversation. It isn't easy, whoever says it is, well either they're the dos equis guy or a filthy liar. Its even harder when you have shit self esteem like I did. But after that first person, you start building up confidence, then you can go up to another person, and another. Eventually...the awkward just goes away.

tl;dr, a very little self esteem and a lot of confidence will take you a long way. Take the initial risk, it worked out for me.

10. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    + 1,000

11. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Find them, and destroy them.

12. Lombardo

Lombardo Well-Known Member

I bet you are the coolest guy at your elementary school.

13. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
    WHOA, DA ****? This is kinda bullshit imo. A lot of my freinds went to community college's (Top of the class btw) and they are better off than I am now in terms of debt. They got their degree then transferred and are paying much less than a normal 4 year student, I went to RPI in NY and am now in a lot of debt. My friend and I both have a bachelors degree in liberal arts, from a community college (Hudson Valley Community College (1 of the top 10 in the country mind you)) and RPI respectively, and we have been offered the same jobs by the same companies, for the same salary. So, that comment is EXTREMELY incorrect.

14. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    Well....at my school, I actually get a REFUND. And the school I go to has a solid reputation, so I am pretty much guaranteed to go to a good grad school as long as my grades stay the way they are.

*shrug*

15. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
    gloat some more why dont ya 8P

16. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Nothing in life is guaranteed ;).

17. Eduku