How be less awkward/Be more social? -For you, Derek420!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by RJ, Sep 1, 2010.

1. RJ

RJ Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    California
    Heya TA,

DEREK, This is for you. Just because you advised me to make a thread, so i did :D

I am in high school, and i am in almost every group of people. Geeks, nerds, 'cool' people, everyone. I know almost everyone in my class (like i know their name and they are in some of my classes, but i dont talk to them that much), yet i want to try to become more social and starting talking/getting to know everyone. If there is ever a big group of people, or even a small group of 5 or 6, i barley ever talk unless it contributes to the conversation...and im really awkward about it too.

Everyone seems to always be going to someone else's house or a party, and im never in on it.

SO, how to become more social/be less awkward around peoples?

--RJ

2. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    Fitting in seamlessly with groups of people is something I have difficulty with too

but isn't this a terrible place to ask

3. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Make a thread on an iphone gaming website on how to be cool.

4. RJ

RJ Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    California
    Yeah, but i've looked it up on google, and nothing has 'helped' So i thought i would ask here.

Plus derek420 advised me to make a thread, so i thought i would give him a laugh :p

5. JoshC.

JoshC. Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2009
    The first step is to realize you cant google answers to relationship/social questions and dilemmas.

6. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Do a shitload of drugs.

You said you fit in all groups, so join the druggie group and talk about all the drugs you did last night.

7. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    This or get into a band. Like a good one, get lots of vagine.

On a serious note, let me just say this. I got along with everyone in highschool. I had no problems with socialization, had a good amount of close friends and I was in many bands of many different types of music, opening up to many different groups of people.

Ask me how many of my friends I still talk to 5 years out of highschool? 2. And that's before I became a parent. I just recently (like a week and a half ago) got in touch with some old band-mates back in high school and were starting a new band, so theres a few more, but that's about it. lol

Moral of the story? WHo knows. I am no good at offering advice, just try not to make it so obvious that you are trying to fit in socially. You'll be alright man. =D

8. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    The real question is...do you really want to be with the people in these groups? Most people in high school are full of B.S. ideas and self-delusions. Like Booch said, you are very unlikely to keep any of these friends past graduation. I can name only one person whom I am still friends with now that I am in college.

One of the great bonuses of being a social oddity is that you don't have to put up with a bunch of drama.

9. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Exactly.

10. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Yea I agree with the drugs comment. Drugs make everything better.

Or just practice bp daily until you dominate everyone.

11. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    This is correct. Your friends in high school are fun for short periods of time, never take their loyalty too serious, they come and go, its just hanging out for fun, mostly immature fun. Don't forget most of them are just kids with attitudes trying to figure life out, but are not quite sure of themselves yet, or their friends, no matter how much they pretend to act like it.

You'll probably still talk to a few of your former classmates after high school but it will have a different tone to it. Most of them you will not talk to at all after 3-5 years have gone by after you leave, and if you run into them after that point they likely aren't gonna care about anything that went on in high school.

The real people you will meet after your high school years, and they will be of all different ages from all different towns. even different states.

So in other words focus on just having fun and not so much about getting into certain groups. If I was you I'd just go for the girls because they usually don't give a shit about groups they just wanna hang out with whatever individual seems interesting and not boring. My advice for now is to go pick up chicks and drink lots of beer, good things will happen from there for the rest of your schoolboy life.

12. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Just be stunningly handsome. People will want to hang out with you because you are beautiful and give you everything you could ever want for the rest of your life. You'll be living on easy street and won't ever have to try hard to accomplish anything.

This has worked for me. :cool:

Before any one labels me a pompous ass, I am just kidding. Also, if you happen to be ugly, just be funny. You'll still get chicks that way.

13. Hitch

Hitch Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    The Lonely Island
    I've been in the same boat as you. In my first 2 years of high school, I knew everybody. It was really fun hanging out with a lot of people, but it was always hard to switch around groups a lot because although I had a lot of ok friends, I didn't have many great friends.

My advice is to keep being friends with everyone, but pick a group you want to hang out with, then try to hang out with them a lot more. I picked the soccer kids and it's been a ton of fun.

You cant just wait to get invited to hang out though. Get a bunch of people to go to the movies, or to have a battle of the bands on Rock Band. The group that has the most fun and that you have the most fun with will probably grow to be better friends through the year.

So yeah... Be yourself, invite people to hang out, and still be nice to everyone and it'll all work out. Hope I helped a little!

14. Electric_Shaman

Electric_Shaman Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    I third the suggestion of drugs, all the cool kids do drugs

15. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Drugs be bad Derek.

16. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Yea but you also have a cool beard.

Nonsense :eek: Drugs made high school bearable lol.

17. super6ft7

super6ft7 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    well people talking about how they don't know their old friends anymore are missing the point. He wants to have fun and have memories and experiences with friends. I know what it's like hearing about lots of parties and stuff going on. Luckily I have managed to get a cooler than me girlfriend and have got in with the potheads, so I have a good social life, but I would like to be more popular :(

18. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Why? That's the only social clique you need to worry about ;)

19. justlegos

justlegos Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Student/Cart Pusher
    Iowa
    Just talk to people about things that you think they like. I've gotten quite a few girls to wanan date me, but I decline :p Haha, suckers. Just try to be funny and have nice manners, don't be the person who rips one in the front row every 2 days...

20. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    I couldn't agree more... It's so nice not being in on all the senseless drama. I never have a problem with anyone for the most part (a couple of jerks, but there's always giong to be a few).

That said, my life's pretty boring.