How Apple could easily fix the top 100 list

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by wiesse, Jan 4, 2009.

1. wiesse

wiesse Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    If Apple would just list by income made rather than number of downloads, developers could list their apps at more realistic (rather than artificially low) prices. This way $1 apps would have to outsell $10 apps by ten times to compete. Developers would not benefit from listing for free and then shifting to paid (which is a good thing).

I think it would work, although I am a big fan of paying extremely low prices for my software :p

2. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Many devs have been wanting this to happen for a while. I think it could help
    Some smaller devs or more expensive games, but idk, because aren't physical games like psp games counted by units sold, not income when being compared on sales charts against xbox 360 sales?

3. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Apple could fix it by making the new Release page list actual New Releases.

I have two machines here, same phone line and they can get different results on simple views like New Releases. It's either New or not.

Is Edge in New Releases? No.
    In fact the latest I see is 30 Dec.
    And why does New Releases default to 'Featured' sort? You'd think that it would sort by Release Date?

Devs NEED that window of visibility that New Releases can give them and until Apple manages to work out how to do this then Devs will suffer for it and unless people do find sites like this people will see the same stuff in the self-reinforcing top lists.

4. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    I just checked - if I search for 'edge' on the UK Store it does not exist.

So how to devs sell their product if Apple cannot be bothered to list it even when someone goes looking? This was the same with Hexile.

And this is a problem Apple could fix very very easily.

5. dlogik

dlogik Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Total "dev newb" here, but can devs actually pay for advertising on the app store or is this something Apple does to promote some of the top games? Let's face it, I say a good 75% of us on these forums don't play the advertised games, be it new, featured, whatever. We're all ahead of the game (no pun intended) sort of speak when it comes to new, upcoming, and quality titles.

Just curious if advertising is sent Apple's way to promote these older games still?

6. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    The New section is not for new apps. It's just a poorly named Featured list. It is purely a list of newish (less than a month old) apps that Apple feels will sell well. The What's Hot list works exactly the same way, but doesn't have the "new" limitation. Both lists get 4-8 new apps pushed to the top once a week, and the bottom of the list gets the same amount falling off.

7. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    We cannot buy advertising with Apple. It is 100% their choice in what gets promoted.

8. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    It could be one of two things:

1. Edge is not sold in the UK.

2. The servers haven't caught up yet. Apple has caching going on, and many servers, so it takes a long time (sometimes over 24 hours) for any changes to appear on a particular server.

9. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

Hey, LWBS. Any more details on your upcoming game? And what about that big Tanzen update? And the New apps is messed up. I mean, I have noticed that it doesn't even come close to Appshopper, which is why I use Appshopper and Apptism.

10. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    I bought Edge and Hexile - I just had to use the direct links here. I cannot find them no matter how I search.

And it does not surprise me that Apple's 'New' does not mean what the rest of the world know is 'New'. And people used to think Microsoft was bad...

11. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Working on the game all this weekend, when I'm able. Still too early to give a release date. Going fairly smoothly though!

The TanZen update is still in review. I expected it to be available yesterday at the earliest, so probably today or tomorrow. Entirely in Apple's hands.

If you keep track of new apps, the New list really has no value. It's advertising only, and should be treated as such.

12. brewstermax

Ok. Since the Tanzen update has been submitted, I guess you can tell us what it is. I mean you said that you did something major to it, but what?

13. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    And ruin the surprise?!! But I did already reveal one addition to the game the other day, in a thread started by Superbad. But it wasn't the main feature.

14. brewstermax

Well, did you at least put it in the update release notes?

15. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Of course! Plus, each update in the future will have a What's New page show up on first launch, so people don't miss anything. There seems to be a large amount of people who never read release notes, and have no idea there are options in the game, so I'm forcing the issue a little.

16. jonaswills

jonaswills Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Nov 11, 2008
    Game Developer
    Washington
    I always thought they should factor the review rating into the ranking somehow, or at least have a list of top user ranked gamers or something that you could view

17. brewstermax

Ok, then. Just making sure that it isn't so much of a surprise that we have to figure out what it is for ourselves.

18. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Not to worry, some of it you'll notice immediately. Besides, I'll probably write a post about it, when it goes live. :)

19. brewstermax

Ok. Thats good.

20. WOW_GEE

WOW_GEE Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2009
    #20 WOW_GEE, Jan 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
    I just find it kind of sad that a lot of the games that end up becoming my favorites on the touch i learn about on this website. Space Ninja, Up There, Edge, all on this site. I'm not saying this site is a bad thing, the opposite actually. How many would not have gotten into gaming on their device had it not been for places like this? and i would be completely lost app wise without it, but a lot of times posters actually need to LINK these new games because they can't be found in the app store. Its really pathetic.
    How do they expect to promote the touch as a reliable gaming device if there are only a few locations where you can get information about new great apps and honest reviews? Apple seems to play almost no part in trying to better the app store and making it fairer and more reliable, and i think that shuts a lot of devs off when it comes to developing great games for the touch. Thank goodness there are devs out there willing to put up with this crap and come out with quality games anyway.
    i hope this gets sorted out, because as it stands, chances are touch gaming won't move any farther until something is done.