Universal House of Shadows (by The Electric Toy Company)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Vovin, Oct 4, 2012.

1. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Honestly, the only fault I can find with this is that it's a tad bit too easy.

2. foxmulderino

foxmulderino Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Student
    Italy
    that's the only 'issue' I found too! The first reviews of the game in this same thread were misleading, thanks to metalcasket I have bought this one...great game, not so similar to spy mouse...I love the fact u can also tap in the desidered point to go there instead of drawing the path.
    Having good fun with house of shadows; the only problem,again, is the low level of difficulty: finished the first house, caught by ghosts...hmm...three maybe four times only!
    Oh, and with the price lowered to a buck, I have to strongly recommend it

3. JeffWofford

JeffWofford Member

Oct 8, 2012
    Programmer
    Glad to hear you're enjoying it!

It's interesting that you're finding it a little too easy. Just as a little side note: in our playtesting we found that testers found harder versions of the rooms too difficult and frustrating, so we tweaked the first house to err a little on what we thought was the easy side. That seemed to be just right for most players. Being TouchArcade subscribers, you might be more experienced and skillful than most, and so the first house might just kind of flow for you better than for some. But see what you think about the second house. It's definitely a step harder. And a third house with yet more challenges is on its way!

4. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Thanks to Metalcasket, I wound up snaggin this one. The beginning is really easy, but it does get a bit more difficult as you progress throughout the game... I can definitely see some more interesting mechanics being added later on, and hopefully some are. The controls are great, and the auto-path making is a lot better than I thought it was going to be. The lighting is incredible, I love it, and there's loads of polish, with the game running buttery smooth on my 4th gen (which is, yeah, a rarity these days) - can't believe I was going to skip out on this one because of some early impressions about controls.

5. anada

anada Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Any chance of adding an unlockable hard mode of each house once you complete it? Might help for those who think its too easy (plus boost replayability)

6. JeffWofford

JeffWofford Member

Oct 8, 2012
    Programmer
    Yes! An unlockable "nightmare" mode could be interesting. We'll consider that idea closely and put it in if it makes sense. Thanks anada!

7. JeffWofford

JeffWofford Member

Oct 8, 2012
    Programmer
    #27 JeffWofford, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
    Here's a new trailer for House of Shadows, showing off more of the graphics, gameplay, and the spirit of the game.

8. Dazzlemi

Dazzlemi Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    #28 Dazzlemi, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
    I decided to buy too... the good reviews help

[edit] the problem is that it won't run. On both my ipod touch 3g, and ipad 1, it crashes.
    Ios 5.1.1, both 32gig - on the ipod touch, it does seem to run in safe mode (yes both are jailbroken).
    I also rebooted after installing. It won't run at all on the ipad.
    Any suggestions?

[edit again] for whatever reason, the game is now running.

9. Gomerfa

Gomerfa Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Sorry to bring up an old game.

Have someone cleared level 11 of the second house yet ?
    I cant kite the zombie that is sitting on the key. Is there some secret trick to this ?

Even if i can kite him around the square room and get the key. He will reset and walk back to where he stood and catch me.

10. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Just finished this one tonight. Properly enjoyed it. Last two levels were very tricky. Hope you've got the one above sir. I had to shine my torch in that feller's face a couple of times. Got him to move and then hid round the corner to shine my torch in his face kind of thing.
    Top game, Jeff.

11. Gomerfa

Gomerfa Member

Aug 16, 2014
    I figured it out, i had no idea that you could stun monsters with the flashlight.

This game was really enjoyable, too bad he never finished the third chapter.

12. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    This game is a classic. Too bad they never added to it or made a sequel. It was good.

13. FiloMJ

FiloMJ Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    Male
    Downloading

14. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    I know that game, it was released before.

15. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Yep, first thing I thought too.

16. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    got that "til mornings light" vibe from the screenshot. never saw this before though :/

17. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    #37 metalcasket, Feb 6, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
    Right, so this is the same game. Literally. It's not a re-release. The wonderful person below this post didn't actually check if there was a thread for it and made a new one. Looks like publishing rights went from Armor Games to The Electric Toy Company (of Doug dug. fame).

18. FiloMJ

FiloMJ Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    Male
    I'm The Wonderful Person. :D
    Thankyou so much my friend! :* :* :*

Completely free and without any ADS, After having tried 10 levels For me is already a 4 stars.

GG