Universal HOT37 - an isometric, low poly, sideways side scroller tower game inspired by sim games of the 90s

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by jblakeharris, Jun 4, 2024.

1. jblakeharris

jblakeharris Member

Nov 9, 2017
    Dallas, TX
    sebgo likes this.
  2. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

Joined. I'll let you know my thoughts once I give it a go.

jblakeharris likes this.
  3. Hulkino

Hulkino Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2016
    Joined too. Comments will follow!!

jblakeharris likes this.
  4. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

#4 sebgo, Jun 6, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2024
    • Given its management nature, I wouldn't call it "fun" as in "enjoying the experience in amazement and thrill", but it's engaging and demands attention on several factors to find the right balance between staff and salary, rates and floor types, guests interests and unwelcome guests. I think the pace is a bit slow or maybe it's just I don't know how to progress/profit faster to keep on building and unlocking more stuff sooner (or maybe I'm just impatient). It's a management game so it's not meant to offer great "fun" and it's rather focused on keeping the player engaged and satisfied through steady success and occasional challenges.

• The tips section wasn't intuitive for me, since I tapped the >> arrow at least twice before considering a swipe gesture. Gameplay-wise, it's intuitive enough but I would have liked the camera sticking to where I panned to, rather than going back to the currently selected floor. On my first attempt (which I failed soon) I built like 10 floors and going from top to bottom, or viceversa, was hindered by the camera not sticking in place, like there was some kind of rubber band forcing me to tap floors in between in order to "explore" far apart floors.

• Good performance, even on an iPhone 8 which counts as quite outdated nowadays. No hiccups, no slowdowns. If something, pressing the pause button to check tips and going back to the game takes a bit longer than expected, but it's not a major problem.

• No crashes so far; no weird things happening visually or logically, either.

Aside from the camera issue, my only suggestion is adding a guided tutorial, so that players aren't forced/meant to rely on intuition or on figuring out what each button does (basically, the "learn more" link you shared, that I didn't check before playing, would make a great addition to the game, even as a link to check on Safari). I'm a manuals/tutorials fan, so maybe I'm a bit biased, I like to know what the goal is and how I'm supposed to achieve it with the tools I have at hand.

Cute game, I liked the aesthetics (forgot to check sound) and the day/night cycle.