Universal Horn (by Phosphor Games Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Phosphor_chip

Phosphor_chip Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
    >>I thought this was suppose to be F2P to begin with as stated on their press release..Or is there going to be a freemium version like DM??With all the talk of Freemium as the future of gaming on their previous statement,what happened to the surprising and sudden change??(not that im complaining)...Just want answers..<<

There was never a F2P version mentioned in any PR, it was speculated so much there was an assumption it was true.

There has not been any discussion between Phosphor and Zynga to make Horn F2P.

Regading needing IAP- iLounge said this in their review:
    http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/phosphor-games-zynga-horn/

Particularly given that Zynga’s the publisher, it’s worth mentioning that you can actually earn enough in-game currency through battles that you needn’t pay real-world dollars for items, though that’s an option for those who want to spend extra money on the game.

2. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    They should state explicitly in the description that graphics are severely downgraded for 256mb devices, then people will have no one but themselves to blame. Then again, knowing the average iTunes reviewer...

3. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    Ah, so it will work in lo-res, low graphics etc. on an iTouch 4G? Darn, knew I shouldn't have uninstalled it just now, heh. Oh well. I look forward to the patch.

Again, I'm not complaining about any of this - though I can understand you'd be concerned people would do.

4. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    There are two types of IAP: consumable (you get Pygite and Cores, the two currencies of the game) and packs (costume pack, blueprint pack, etc.). So far, I earned enough Pygite to buy the, at the moment, best sword (you can't forge some weapons without their blueprints) and without grinding, and I still have a lot of Pygite left (it was around 2000 Pygite and I still have around 8000). The second currency is even easier to get. I have 33 Cores and every weapon or upgrade only needs around 3.
    The blueprints are hidden in each mission.

Summary: you don't need any IAP.

5. JagerBombS

JagerBombS Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    They both seem easy enough to get. There is even an arena style world, where you spin a wheel for a challenge like "enemies are faster than normal, but grants an extra %100 crystals". So it seems like you could (with some work) get everything in the game, from what I've seen.

And the ports comment, I like good games and ports, was just trying to emphasize the attempt at bringing original, large scale iOS games to market, and I like old asses:D

6. Markku

Markku Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    please answer this how many hours is this game.

7. Johnny101

Johnny101 Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    You can even argue that the best game ever on iOS is a port, ( Dead Space ) with a few new elements thrown in !

8. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    While I won't deny that it goes down in the iOS gaming hall of fame as nothing short of spectacular, it isn't a port by any stretch of the imagination. It's an entirely new game with different weapons, story, protagonist, everything. It's a great little side story to the excellent console/PC titles. But it isn't a port (though I would argue that with the current hardware ports of the DS games are possible).

9. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Dead Space the best game on iOS? Hahaha

10. Zedd2011

Zedd2011 Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Game Impressions

Great game.

Highly recommend it.

Graphics look great, story is decent, and controls work fine.

Early on still, but so far loving it.

11. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    You don't need to go anywhere near IAP's at all. They are just for folks who want to unlock everything straight away without playing the game properly. If you let the idea of IAP's put you off, you are missing out on an excellent game.

12. fulcizombie

fulcizombie Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Honestly even if IB2 can run on older devices this is a much more demanding game since it has free movement, don't let the touch controls fool you .
    It's obvious that with more high-end engines like UE3 starting to being used in proper games (not things like IB or god forbid crap like epoch) , the demands for hardware will grow . To enjoy games like horn and i would guess wild blood you'll have to get an A5 device .

13. Markku

Markku Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    how long is this game??!?

14. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
  15. Johnny101

Johnny101 Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    Yup, arguably.. .. Amazing game, I don't see why that's funny :rolleyes: What's yours btw??

JBRUU,

I haven't played Dead space on PC so I assume your right about it not being a complete port. Fine game though ! The only thing it's missing is multiplayer.

16. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Wow wasn't expecting a 9.

On a side note, why the hell is the video "restricted content"??

17. fulcizombie

fulcizombie Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Honestly , when it comes to console type games, we are now beginning to see the "best" . I'd say that Horn, Nova3 and TDKR are the beginning of an onslaught of games that will transform the more advanced IOS devices to modern handheld gaming devices . "Dead space" was great for its time but its being surpassed by every recent big release.
    I really wish EA would release a new dead space spin off for IOS though .

18. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    I personally wouldn't want multiplayer, the entire point of the DS series is that you're alone in space. Think Alien, the horror movie vs Aliens, the actioner with horror elements. Co-op would ruin the survival horror experience and turn it into a action-y shooter like CoD zombies. Anyway, wrong thread for this.

19. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    #139 JBRUU, Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
    DS is still the best horror game on th AppStore.

TDKR would be amazing were it not for the button mashing.

iOS has already surpassed handheld consoles like the vita a while ago both in features and graphically. Look at resistance or the upcoming black ops. 8 player multiplayer with only 6 maps and I believe only 4 modes, the trailer shows the same death animations over and over, and they look just plain ugly compared to NOVA 3 or even MC3. The vita has nothing like TDKR, though AC looks intriguing. Plus the prices are exorbant and no good games are being released. iOS has more content and better prices, in addition to having superior games. The only thing the vita has going for it is physical controls. No, my friend, iOS has surpassed other handheld consoles.

20. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    Indeed a tap to run would send him in one direction, and then when you swipe the camera you basically turn him. So thats all you need. Quite simple. :)

Anyways. You just made my day. Thanks for replying here. :) And grats on a great release!