Universal Horn (by Phosphor Games Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    Ah got it, thanks.

2. agentblank

agentblank Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    the combat is much simpler than infinity blade but the free roam is nice, although it should be a virtual joystick because I find the current controls annoying.

3. fulcizombie

fulcizombie Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2011
    The fact that we get games like this or nova 3 or TDKR at a starting price of 5€ is incredible and makes the iOS market , the great thing that it is right now. Have you seen what passes off as a 35-40€ handheld game these days ?

4. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Plays great on iPhone 4. For as much as I complain about the lack of retina graphics in games, I'm glad Phosphor opted to give us better performance than retina ON iPHONE 4. I'm just a few mins in and I can say it's already gotten my full attention. :)

5. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Persona 4 golden? Gravity Rush? Visual novels ?(the dominant genre for the psp in japan) Shin Megami Tensei games?

I understand what you are trying to say...but there is no need to talk down other platforms! The Appstore has its own share of duds.

6. PhosphorGamesGal

PhosphorGamesGal Active Member

Apr 19, 2012
    #86 PhosphorGamesGal, Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
    Follow up with players that are having crash issues!

IF YOU ARE EXPERIENCE CRASHES OR FREQUENT STUTTERING

We strongly recommend you power down your system and restart it. Certain apps in memory may affect performance of HORN.

This is a common issue with resource-intensive games

Please make sure your device is up to date :)

http://phosphorgames.com/forums/index.php?topic=445.0

PhosphorGamesGal

7. fulcizombie

Dec 17, 2011
    #87 fulcizombie, Aug 16, 2012
    I don' t even know what visual novels are , and I hate JRPGs , though the iOS market has some good ones I hear , but gravity rush ? Yeah o.k a darling for Sony fanboys but it's exactly the game ,along with many others much worse ones of course , that make me appreciate the iOS market more .
    Anyway horn is awesome, no crashes after I rebooted my ipad2 and the game is the best UE3 iOS game by a mile .

8. violentv

Nov 4, 2010
    #88 violentv, Aug 16, 2012
    Sony fanboy? I am trying to be diplomatic and objective here. I don't even have a PSP. rofl..it is good that you are able to identify why you dislike PSP/DS games: they don't produce games of the genre that you like. That however does not mark the games as duds. It is a Japanese device after all..meant to cater to the Japanese gamers.. you practically have to throttle European/U.S publishers to make localization of these niche games. Just pretend these hand held gaming devices and their games don't exist if you feel that way about them. Just don't bring them up for comparison. -.-

Horn is pretty good so far. A little laggy for me but not gamebreaking. Little details like splinters flying at me while chopping down stalks/grass are a little annoying though. I can see that there is a story unfolding and it is pretty interesting. The narrator seems to be the VA from Dark meadows?

9. Con

Con Well-Known Member

May 12, 2012
    I was kind of hoping a thread with 100 posts would have more discussion about gameplay...

What are people's first impressions?

10. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC

Are you saying that we can play this on a 3GS? I know earlier someone from Phosphor recommended that we don't download it. Just want some clarification.

11. thesmashingone

thesmashingone Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    You say that Horn can run on an iPod Touch 4th Gen, but the iTunes link says it is not compatible at all with any iPod Touch devices. Can you clarify, please?

12. violentv

Nov 4, 2010
    #92 violentv, Aug 16, 2012
    I actually have the space on my 3gs to try it out. Got to redownlood it though since I don't want to sync my ipad's app library with my iphone's.

Will report back in 1/2 an hour

Edit: The opening cutscene cuts off in the middle and the game reboots itself . This happened quite a few time until I rebooted my iphone and finally got into the game. The game crashed quite early into the game during a cutscene. Probably safe to assume that crashes on the 3gs will be rather frequent.

13. Phosphor_chip

Phosphor_chip Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
    3GS, Touch 3+4, iPad1 are not supported. We can't change those settings in iTunes- Apple doesn't let you block out devices unless there is a specific hardware reason (no GPS) - that is why Machinarium plasters it all over their iTunes page to not download on iPad1

There is a crash stopping people from getting far in iTouch4. We have that fixed in a patch waiting for approval, but again these devices are still unsupported

14. fulcizombie

Dec 17, 2011
    It' s great. The touch controls are extremely well thought out , the character has 100% freedom of movement and the fight mechanics are a mix of 3d Zelda games and infinity blade . It's nice to finally see an UE3 game that is a real console type game on iOS , now it' s gameloft's turn to show us what it can do with wild blood .

15. Mhunt190

Mhunt190 Well-Known Member

May 27, 2012
    USA
    #95 Mhunt190, Aug 16, 2012
    Game looks great but it looks like the Tegra vision would look better... again! :( I pay $6.99 for the game and I expect to get all the same features as the tegra virsion and all the test because the iPhone 4s can handle the Tegra effects dead trigger proved it so dissapointing :( I am a paying costumer!

16. PhosphorGamesGal

PhosphorGamesGal Active Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Game Support - UPDATE!

Just to verify, IF YOU ARE EXPERIENCE CRASHES OR FREQUENT STUTTERING

We strongly recommend you power down your system and restart it. Certain apps in memory may affect performance of HORN.

This is a common issue with resource-intensive games

Please make sure your device is up to date

http://phosphorgames.com/forums/index.php?topic=445.0

PhosphorGamesGal

17. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Pictures of Tegra version?

I'm enjoying the game quite a lot. The game is way more balanced than Dark Meadow when talking about exploration and fights, and it still has an amazing story. No crashes so far (iPhone 4S with iOS 5.1.1).

18. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #98 awp69, Aug 16, 2012
    Just a suggestion, but I've seen apps that use the "no forward facing camera" to get around Requirements issue that allows older devices to download it. I read these forums and have learned my lesson to read descriptions AND the requirements to make sure it will work. But a lot of people don't read everything in the descriptions and get burnt since it will download to their device.

It is pretty ridiculous that Apple doesn't allow devs to specifically name devices in the Requirements so that it blocks what truly should be blocked.

In any case, still hope that further optimization allows support for the 3GS in the future.

EDIT: Actually, the "no forward facing camera" still allows the iPod Touch 4G to download so ignore that comment.

19. Shinsaku

Shinsaku Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2011
    So there's a patch for the iPod Touch 4th Gen but you still say that it's still unsupported. # So what I'm asking is after the patch is released, will it be playable onthe iPod Touch 4th Gen?

20. Mhunt190

Mhunt190 Well-Known Member

May 27, 2012
    USA
    #100 Mhunt190, Aug 16, 2012