Universal Horn (by Phosphor Games Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Yeah, iPad 3.

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Oh noes...

3. sicksilvo

sicksilvo Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2012
    From IGN review: "I also encountered one serious progress-stopping bug in Horn’s review build, but a Phosphor representative told me they were aware of the issue and a day 1 patch has been issued to resolve it."

4. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    On the upside, if that's a memory leak or something and they can improve it for the iPad, maybe it'll run on older devices as well! :p

Seriously, if they could get it stable (though again I appreciate that'd probably be an impossible task) I'd happily run it lo-res. I quite liked the opening stages. I can already see quite a few things I'd nitpick as silly or lazy design choices, but despite playing it with the details off I still liked the art design, it controlled pretty well, sound and voice acting seemed good. (Only the 2D cutscenes looked outright horrible in lo-fi.) It was fun, and seemed like it might be $7 well spent, faults aside.

5. Fractalrock

Fractalrock Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2010
    Does anyone know of this will run on iPhone 4?

6. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    If you can wait another hour for my download to finish, plus some time for me to try the game out...me. :p

7. Phosphor_chip

Phosphor_chip Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
    - It works on iPhone4, but it does not have all the graphical flourishes the other versions have.
    - The other devices that only have 256 megs of memory are not supported (Touch 3+4, iPad1, 3GS). We may in the future find a way to support these better, but for now we recommend people with those devices not download it

We are having a hard time figuring out the issue Eli is having- Eli maybe we just need you to come down to replicate it ...

8. PhosphorGamesGal

PhosphorGamesGal Active Member

Apr 19, 2012
  9. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Here's to hoping that you do find a way to support us that are device-impaired. Definately looks like something I'd enjoy!

10. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    How? Like, stuff that they bought they have to buy again? I've heard of that but it's pretty rare.

11. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Well, talking about the game and not about the premium-to-FTP discussion, the game is pretty cool, so far I'm enjoying it a lot, but I think that the battles are too simple. It needs things like combos or other abilities.

12. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Errr...no? People who pay $6.99 now would feel like they got screwed if this went free? Common sense?

13. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    I don't know why everyone thinks this is IB:3 or something like that. The only thing that IB and Horn share is the engine.

And yes, it's free roam.

14. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Why? If it's common sense then it should be easy to explain. If they got more than $6.99 of value out of it when it cost $6.99, then they must have gotten more than $6.99 of value out of it even if it later became free. That's my "common sense".

Now, if they change the game and make it more grindy or increase the need for IAP, then that obviously is bad for people who paid for a different game.

15. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    I am really enjoying the game. No crashes at all or any problems playing on iPad 3. Just one thing - this may be a stupid question, but where do you pick up extra health potions?

16. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Agreed. PC, console games devalue overtime too as their presence weakens.. do you feel screwed over now that Arkham Asylum has dropped from 60 USD to 20 USD ? >.>

17. JagerBombS

JagerBombS Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    In the weapons forge there is a top tab for potions.

This game is legit!

18. Markku

Markku Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    How long is this game? 10 plus hours?

19. antony.thai

antony.thai Well-Known Member

Oh?!? A Zynga game with 7 bucks?? AWESOME!

20. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I'm not going to get into it, but yes changing business models usually means adding IAPs that are necessary, etc. In my experience, it's usually the other way around. Meaning it's pretty rare for a dev to actually care about those that paid in the beginning.

Anyway, hopefully that won't be the case with this game. If they get it working on a 3GS, I'd probably be willing to take a chance.