"Horn" a new game by Phosphor Games Studios in partnership with Zynga games!!!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by PhosphorGamesGal, Jun 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    You can see gameplay in this video. I think it looks great, and I like how the character movement works. (it appears to be similar to the movement in the Epic Citadel demo)

2. Daver16

Daver16 Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2011
    So how is the IAP going to work on this game?

3. Mr. Grizzly

Mr. Grizzly Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    This looks great! I wanna play! ;)

4. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #44 Rip73, Aug 3, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
    I like the sound of that control scheme. It definitely will suit a game with exploration elements better than the usual attempts to emulate a controller on a touch screen device.
    It could be the key element of the game for me actually. Other than the amazing graphics and the great sense of atmosphere that ye do so well already, Dark Meadow proved that much.
    Nice touch (pun intended).
    The part of the video where it's being played on an iPad certainly looks very good and the controls look very intuitive in that clip.

5. kukulcan

kukulcan Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Loved Dark Meadow and if this turns out to have close to Zelda gameplay quality it sure it a winner.

Not generally against IAP, as long as it is no endless money pit, I won't ever spend hundrets on a game.

6. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #46 Vovin, Aug 3, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2012

Yuck, Zynga. My stomach just ached.
    They will rip all your money from you amd then again. Easy as that. That's how Zynga games work.
    One more note: please be fair, people. Comparing Zynga to a deal with the devil is a major insult towards Mr Old Goathoof. Even he doesn't deserve this.

7. Adamo

Adamo Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2011
    We will have iap options but the game has never been balanced towards or even playtested with iap in mind. Players will be able to play, enjoy, and beat the game without needing any iap. :D

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    To be fair to Zynga, their games have, so far, not killed anybody. Blizzard's, in contrast, have ;).

9. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    That sounds perfectly fair and balanced.
    In these circumstances, buying some iap is only fair in order to reward the developers hard work

10. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Just read that link.
    That is unbelievable. Talk about a major addiction problem.

11. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Unfortunately, there seem to be a lot of video game obsessed kids around nowadays. Shame. The outdoors calls, sports, books, friends, etc. Pretty pathetic treating games as a lifestyle (unless that's your career) instead of a relaxation or hobby.

12. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #53 Vovin, Aug 4, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2012

Well, I guess you know that in the latter part of my post, a bit of sarcasm was involved... ;)
    Although I still utterly dislike Zynga's "swallow them; if you can't, copy them" behaviour. Even the devil sticks - once sealed - to his contracts. :D

Interesting article. Sad story. Games can be drugs, that's for sure. But they never kill directly, as other drugs do. It's every persons responsibility to care for himself. Not the game killed him, that stupid guy killed himself. But as always, the games got blamed somehow. Why is nobody talking about the hundreds of people dying every year because of sport activities? :rolleyes:

13. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    Sadly, this has happened on number of occasions now. The game they happened to be playing is irrelevant of course, and is simply sensationalist journalism. DVT is generally the cause of death, brought on by sitting in the same position for hours at a time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-14350216

14. HelperMonkey

HelperMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    Okay. This looks pretty excellent. But, I must force myself to expect disappointment. Then, if it doesn't suck I can be pleasantly surprised.
    So. Never mind. This looks awful.

I did detect some Team Ico homage, with the kid with horns, and the "colossal" enemies. But if you're finding inspiration anywhere, Ico and 'Colossus are damn fine places to draw from.

15. Adamo

Adamo Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2011
  16. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
  17. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
  18. wilflare

wilflare Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2011
    Singapore
    that sounds amazing :D
    man you've got some really good person on the team :D

19. Superstar85

Superstar85 New Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Isnt Horn being published by Zynga and Developed by Phosphor Games Studios.
    Now, join me in a “LEARN THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PUBLISHER AND DEVELOPER 101” for all of you ignorant people out there.

What is a publisher?
    Publishers provide finance for the entire industry. This is not just paying studios, in stages, to develop a game. It is also the publishing costs which can often be far, far more.

Publishers take the risk. This is a pretty big job, especially for current generation console games, most of which don’t make a profit.

Publishers market the game. It is a simple fact that with zero marketing a game will have zero sales.

Publishers create and build brands

What is a developer?

A video game developer is a software developer that creates video games.
    Most developers also specialize in certain types of games, such as role-playing video games or first-person shooters. Some focus on porting games from one system to another. Some focus on translating games from one language to another. An unusual few do other kinds of software development work in addition to games.

Video game development is usually performed in an extremely casual business environment with T-shirts and sandals being common work attire. Many find this type of environment to be rewarding and pleasant, both professionally and personally.

In most cases, publishers have little or no say in the games they sponsor. Publishers risk a fair amount of money to sponsor games by picking up the tab to make a profit if the game is good.

TADA!

How hard was it to understand? Although this game is being PUBLISHED by Zynga, we have to consider who is making it. Phosphor game’s Dark Meadow was fantastic! I don’t know why people are already making judgments of a game that
    A), IT’S NOT EVEN OUT
    B) NON OF YOU HAVE PLAYED THIS GAME
    C) IS DIFFERENT TO WHAT IS OUT THERE IN THE MOBILE MARKET

Judge by experience
    Never judge a book by its cover. Ever head of that?

Or better yet
    Most of our assumptions have outlived their uselessness.
    Marshall McLuhan