Universal Horizon Chase (by Aquiris Game Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    The game is really awesome! Deserve all the praises, for sure.

2. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Heh, easily. This is my favorite iOS racer. Bar none.

3. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    I feel like many people here don't really have a point of reference for the kind of retro games that have inspired Horizon Chase, so here are video reviews of Top Gear 1 and 2, Outrun and Lotus Turbo Challenge by Classic Game Room. They should look and sound very familiar ;) (minus Outrun, which has a different composer)

Top Gear

Top Gear 2

Lotus Turbo Challenge

Outrun for Sega Genesis

4. Lipedal

Lipedal Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Game Design Director @ Luderia
    Santa Maria, Brazil
    Hey jpgold! You get a car unlock for getting gold in all main races of a Cup, and another for finishing 1st in the Bonus Race.

Getting 100% in a single cup doesn't get you any short-term reward (apart from bragging rights and my personal recognition of you being awesome), but getting 100% in every cup add up for a slick surprise at the end of the game :)

Not that we expect anyone to do that, of course.

I'm sorry for Reyjavik 03 being that hard. We should have some tweaks done here and there in an update soon, and we'll look for points of the game that are unfairly hard or frustrating.

My favourite cars for Reykjavik 03 are the ones with good Steering and Acceleration, and low Max Speed. As you'll be making a lot of hard turns and probably hitting the other cars, Steering and Acceleration come as better stats than Max Speed to look for here. Infinity, Orient and Macchina (damn, you didn't unlock Macchina yet) will come in handy. Maybe, just maybe, Ghost could help too.

More than that, bear in mind that you're reaching the end game, and second place is not bad at all at this point. You can get to the end of the game without a few gold trophies. Plus, you can come back later with more upgrades and a better suited car (maybe next cup's Dustdriver) to try and get gold. Reykjavik 03 is the track that puts to prove all you learned about making sharp turns and avoiding other cars — and that includes lifting off the gas whenever you sense you're going to hit.

Please don't break your iPads, and let me know if you guys get to beat Reykjavik later :)

I'll write a game design post-mortem next week and I hope to shine a light on why there's this "auto driving" feel in the game. Not to spoil anything, but we had to recreate some of the technical smokes and mirrors of those pseudo-3D racing games of the 80's, in order to achieve a similar play experience and the smoothness we wanted for it. The auto driving feel (it's not auto driving really) is a concession we had to make it work great and look great in actual 3D.

As you said, you still have to keep tight control of the car at all times if you want to win. Reykjavik 03 seems to be proving that. So, I think this is one of those rants that we'll have to let slip by ^^

Glad you liked the lightning storm race! I suppose it's Acropolis 01. Our artist Janderson Salgado did an incredible job creating the right atmosphere for it, and Barry Leitch's music really sets the tone :D

Thanks for the support, guys!

5. dawww

dawww New Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Yes, I have iPod 5 too and Horizon Chase running very fast a smooth:)

6. mj132

mj132 Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2013
    United Kingdom
    Haven't got an iPod touch 5thr gen but it plays just fine on an old IPhone 4s on ios 7.1.2 and just as we'll on my iPad min 3 on ios 8.4

Hope that help now back to playing this game

7. Lipedal

Lipedal Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Game Design Director @ Luderia
    Santa Maria, Brazil
    @Zevious Zoquis I recorded a quick gif to show the how the auto driving showed up in the classics from the 80s and 90s. This one below is Top Gear, a game that was a huge success in Brazil. Thanks for the videos, sapphire_neo!

[​IMG]

See how I didn't steer at all and yet I just hit the 3rd or 4th turn sign after the one I was heading for? :D

It's because of the way the curve works. The difference is that in Horizon Chase, in order for it to feel better in 3D, we had the car rotate slightly in the direction the road is heading.

8. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    Yep makes sense to me.

9. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I just wondered if anyone knew as I haven't had time to go back on again until now, so yesterday I got an upgrade and it says it upgrades the entire fleet.

So does that mean it'll upgrade cars I have and the cars I will acquire automatically? Or only the cars I have at the time? I'm wondering if I'm better off getting whatever cars I can before I win upgrades or if it doesn't matter what the order is.

10. F34R

F34R Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2012
    The game sounds amazing through a system or headphones.

11. modus_ataraxia

modus_ataraxia Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2015
    I just finished getting gold in all cups, and unlocked
    the Explorer
    . Awesome game. Having
    the remixed old school track
    was a very cool surprise. I'm curious what the special surprise for getting all pro stamps is. Maybe a spoiler?

Love the game. Definitely needs an endless mode with split paths, like Outrun had. Would take the game from 10/10 to 11. Excellent work, guys. :)

12. Zevious Zoquis

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    The more i play this the more i like it. Its rapidly moving up my list of favorite ios games and its one of the best arcade racers i've ever played. The weather effects at some of the tracks are just awesome!

I've still got 2 cups to unlock and lots of golds to get and i've played at least 3 hours. $3 for this is just a huge bargain!

I too would love an endless mode - or at least a few nice long point to point courses...

13. jrd

jrd Active Member

Dec 23, 2012
    Dumb question: I've come first in all the California tracks, yet it say only 82% complete.

How do you get 100% complete?

14. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Did you get a pro score on them all too? First place and collecting all the tokens usually does it, the bonus points off fuel doesn't usually matter.

15. jrd

jrd Active Member

Dec 23, 2012

Thanks. That could be it. Is a "pro score" indicated anywhere ?

16. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

On the page with 3 maps the pro scores will have blue background on the 'score' strip, and has a little blue flag icon on that strip just above the gold trophy icon.

17. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Gonna be an Android version??

18. Andyz

Andyz Member

Jun 27, 2009
    Exactly, I want more of a sense of progress where each car unlocked is better than the last, but most cars unlocked seem worse than first two. Otherwise great game though!

19. Zevious Zoquis

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    That's not really true. Some of the later cars are better than the first two. Also, it's not at all just about top speed. Handling is big and on some tracks fuel consumption is a big concern. I sort of like that it's not a straight progression where each car is better than the previous ones. This way, you don't end up with one or two that are worth driving and a bunch that are nerfed after the first few races...

20. chief78

chief78 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Holy crap, between this, Ace Maverick, and Pac-Man 256, My phone has been begging mercy since Thursday night Lol I don't think I've ever had a more euphoric feeling than Friday morning, when I was literally trying to decide what to play :)

I also agree that the cars unlocked later on fit specific needs on tracks. Having the highest top speed car doesn't at all work on the shorter tracks with a ton of turns. Just like a better handling car with a smaller gas tank doesn't necessarily help on longer tracks where fuel consumption and top speed may be the difference between winning and losing.