Universal Hoplite (by Douglas Cowley)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Dec 21, 2013.

1. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Woah...I had this on Android (and bought the full game unlock) and have been completely forgetting to pick it up since I switched back to iOS.

2. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Just grabbed it myself. It's gone free. Feel a little guilty though, having heard all the praise.

3. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

It's part of the Pocket Gamer Advent Calendar and featured game of the day (12/09/14).

4. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    So this crashes on start up on my 6+.

5. confab

confab Member

Dec 1, 2013
    It's not free in the New Zealand store, unfortunately.

6. Retro Nug

Retro Nug Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    The Netherworld
    Man, I suck at this game so far lol but it's keeping me coming back when I take a break from Cardinal Quest 2.

7. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    It is pretty awesome, got it when it went free for a day and I keep having a few goes on it here and there. So simple yet also tactical and makes you want to try once more.

8. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I really loved its unlock system. How completing achievements grants you access to cool skills in future runs.

9. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    I recently started playing this game and am doing pretty well - only the Speed Run, Demon Partisan, Pacifist and a Hoplite Master achievements left to get.

What is this Protection that people keep speaking of? I've never seen it and it doesn't look like any of the achievements unlock it.

10. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    This game is champion. Anyone tried the Challenge Mode yet? Sounds harder than a diamond in an ice storm.

11. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    All this games needs is an auto save or save/quit so you can come back exactly where you were playing. I love this game & redownlaoded for the challenges but it would have left my phone if it saved. I'm on lunch having a great run then I have to get back to work & that's it. If it's minimized you lose the level.

12. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    It is crazy hard!!
    But a really good idea. Definitely worth the redownload. I was two steps away from the end once...

I wish the rocky tiles and lava theme could get switched up for some other scenery types.

13. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    #153 zen_mode, May 21, 2015
    Last edited: May 21, 2015

It returns to its exact game state even if it's booted from memory so not sure what you mean.

Also, kudos to the dev for bringing the legacy graphics to the iOS version. Only thing I'll still like to see is an option to unlock all abilities similar to 868-hack. I'm more interested in normal runs than achievement chasing. Still playing this after all this time.

14. rainbringer

rainbringer New Member

Jul 27, 2015
    Flawless - a question

Hi, guys,
    There's something I don't understand: I've returned the fleece twice without taking ANY damage, but the achievement is still locked. Why can it be? What do I miss?
    Thanks!

15. Sash-O

Sash-O Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Germany
    Hoplite went down to 1.99€ again!
    One of my favorite rogue likes on iOS.

16. anniec

anniec Member

Mar 5, 2015
    As usual i'm always late to the party when it comes to discovering amazing games. Hoplite mitght be my favorite game currently on my phone right now and should be for a long time. I just finished unlocking the wizard beam which is a gamechanger since I'm not a fan of spear throwing unless I decide to use sword lunge. I'm trying to unlock slashing lunge through the pacifist achievement but I am finding it incredibly difficult. For Demon partizan I upgraded to shielding bash 2, winged sandals, and the rest on fortitude and divine restoration. Is it similar for pacifist or should I be using another build?

17. Ancientmoon

Ancientmoon Active Member

Nov 18, 2016
    #157 Ancientmoon, Dec 12, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2016

Hoplite is a timeless masterpiece, and it's my favorite roguelike ever along with Cavern, 868-HACK, Pixel Dungeon, ENYO and so on. It maybe the best among them.

Pacfist is definitly harder than Demon Partisan. When I got it, I didn't use Winged Sandals but I think it's also possible to reach Depth 20 without killing by using that. I used Plant Spear and Follow by the way. You have to update throwing range at least 2 times, and pray for Fortitude at the rest altars. Good luck!

18. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    64 bit (and iOS 11) support OH YEAH! \:D/

19. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    So happy not to lose this to the void.

But this does bring up something annoying, since it is such a random crapshot in what ancient apps are brought into the modern era, what is the average user expected to do? It seems like you’ ve either got to leave a bunch of now dead apps on your device and pray or clean stuff up and HOPE decent folk comment on a long abandoned thread here about it.

20. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Pretty much.

Or stay on iOS 10 like me... (probably not for long though)

This is the first I've seen to drop after iOS 11, I'm hoping there will be a few more!

:D THANK YOU DOUGLAS! :D