Universal Hoplite (by Douglas Cowley)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Great game. Only thing I'd like to see added at some point would be Game Center.

2. ngajoe

ngajoe Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Wow, I really like this one. Great puzzle--and the mechanics really gel with the battles. Great feel when you start knocking down enemies turn after turn. Still trying to find my preferred build, all the powers seem pretty useful. Also like that a achievements unlock skills.

Recommended!

3. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Just downloaded this now...it will sit next to Dungelot for a good long while. My only request would maybe be some environment themes to change it up now and then?

4. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Want to buy,but iOS 7 only. Think you could lower the requirement? I mean iOS 7 has been jail broken now after all, so anti piracy can't be the reason.

If you can lower it. I'll buy for sure

5. cymsdale

cymsdale Member

Nov 2, 2013
    Talk about under the radar.

I love roguelikes, but do not love some of the trappings of them like level grinding, or non-tactical RNG-based combat (I don't have anything against RNG in general, but I dislike when it's *only* RNG).

I love this game, when I lose, I know it's my fault and not just the game deciding I'm going to lose. It's more like solving a randomly generated puzzle.

I love the upgrade system, all the options seem good.

6. c.ihls

c.ihls Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    iOS 7-only?? *sigh*

So it's off my list. :(

7. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Sounds interesting and some high opinions here, just wondering how long the gameplay lasts before your maxed out or completed it?

8. Zeillusion

Zeillusion Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2013
    Real fun rogue chess-like game. Levels are pretty challenging (haven't been able to beat it yet). It has nice rpg elements as well, being able to level your character each floor at the altar. You can choose to increase health, spear throw length, increase energy ect. This is definitely a nice little gem.

Simple yet oh so challenging & addicting !

9. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    Have just seen the overwhelmingly positive coverage in PocketGamer, Indie Statik and IGE the game has got. So glad it's getting a little recognition, hopefully TA will cover it if I annoy them enough :p

There's no real completion point - at floor 16 you find the quest item and from then on you can either immediately leave or keep descending for a higher score. That is a lot easier said than done though and having the courage to keep adventuring is not something I've mustered just yet.
    There are achievements that unlock advanced upgrades to choose each playthrough but there are no permanent perks or level ups as such like most roguelikes so it's a matter of when you get bored of the game, not finishing it.

I've played a game or two almost every day since release and I still enjoy every second. I still have some achievements to unlock and there are a number of different character builds you can achieve with the differing upgrades so it'll be fun to mess about with that. Besides, as it's a highscore chaser, I doubt I'll ever lose interest in trying to beat my best score.

I would just love some updates adding anything new. A new opponent with an interesting tactic or attack range would really throw me off my game and keep it exciting for a lot longer. Some special tile types or anything that just increases the depth of strategy and of course GC!

10. Nachtfischer

Nachtfischer Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Game Designer
    Germany
    #30 Nachtfischer, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
    True. And I find it sad and odd that thanks to today's throw-away games industry people always assume there is. Players are so used to devouring games, "beating" them, never to return. It's a shame.

This is a real game with an interesting SYSTEM guys. And one of the best on iOS. Don't look at it as one of the usual exhaustible generic content piles (which granted 99% of modern video games are) or something.

11. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Nice to see the game getting such positive coverage from those sites

12. PeteOzzy

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    Hope you didn't mind me mentioning one site in particular! :p

13. Bronxsta

I must be blind. I thought that said IGM. No wonder I couldn't find an article

14. NickyNichols

NickyNichols Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2012
    Pocket Tactics seems to really like it too.

It's fantastic, btw, I download way too many games and I spent an entire day playing this today.

15. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    The problem for me with endless games is that they feel kinda pointless. What I really enjoyed about the underrated "Ending", is that you could beat the game and escape the dungeon. However having a mechanic for high score chasers to keep playing endlessly is fine, if you are up for that sort of thing.

So does this have an ending and a way to win the game?

16. Bronxsta

Yes, you can retrieve the Fleece and return to the surface, effectively completing your playthrough or you can test your skills and continue descending.

17. wigzisonfire

wigzisonfire Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Art Director
    London
    A most excellent game. Well done sir.

A few location changes or obstacles as you descend deeper into the dungeon would be great albeit only cosmetic.

The actual mechanic of this game is awesome and it's so damn addictive.

18. PeteOzzy

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    Finally managed to summon the courage to keep going after picking up the fleece and made it to depth 19. I cannot put into words how much I enjoyed that session - how on Earth a game so deceivingly simple can feel so masterfully epic when you weave through dozens of enemy attacks and defeat them all without a scratch.

So close to getting the achievement for reaching the fleece with no damage if I'd only paid attention on one turn. This is borderline perfection to me and will stay on my iPad with pride of place next to Tilt to Live and Game Dev Story. If they added Game Centre and made it so that if you accidentally tap more than one hex away from you then it doesn't automatically move you closer when enemies are alive I wouldn't hesitate to call it my favourite iOS game of all time!

19. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    So are most of those achievement perks in effect from the start of your next game or not until you purchase a corresponding skill? Like am I getting the benefits of the throw further perk right off or is it only added once I buy the throw further skill in game?

20. PeteOzzy

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    It unlocks the ability to purchase the perks during games. Perks like Superior Throw can only be purchased in a run by praying for the lesser version of the perk.

It seems to be fairly balanced that way, especially as two of my favourite skills (Follow and Superior Throw) would be ridiculously overpowering as starter gifts.