Universal HoPiKo (by Laser Dog)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Sep 24, 2015.

1. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    This is literally the most brilliant game I've played on any platform this year!

I love that there are only two control mechanisms in the entire game: tap to straight-shot or swipe any direction for a precision-shot. These two inputs actually go the distance to providing an enormous amount of control in the game.

Oh, and just a friendly observation; Don't be afraid to take chances. Cutting corners in HoPiKo on many occasions is rewarded with that extra split second or two of precious time shaved off your speedrun.

Bottom line, absolutely don't miss this thrill ride if any of this games offering looks interesting to you. :D

Richard

2. retrogamOR

retrogamOR Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2013
    I have a problem.My times are not showing in GameCentre.

My time for the 1st run showed after about 30mins,but no other times are showing.
    It's not my internet,i've tried other Gamecentre games and they are updating fine.Done the usual,reset etc.

Loving the game otherwise.Anybody else having the same issue?

(Ipad AIR IOS 8.1.2)

3. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    No issues for me with it.

It's brilliant but stage 1 run 4-5 has me completely stumped.....

4. Deckard74

Deckard74 Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2012
    Trust me to start playing this game just before getting to bed before work tomorrow, Laser Dog have pulled it out of the bag yet again..I love the immediacy of the levels and the chiptunes are pure 8-bit earworms. I'm sure Rob Hubbard would be proud of some of these old-school tunes, now I'm showing my age ahem. I'll play some more of this after finishing work all bleary-eyed I'm guessing.

PS. Add me on GC on Deckard740 for some speedrun shenanigans.

5. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    This game is so god damn good

6. raravan

raravan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    best platformer since VVVVVV. ever.
    incredible, Laser Dog, you are created brilliant game. GOTY without a question.

7. collider

collider Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 22, 2013
    CEO/Owner Collider, Inc.
    NYC
    Soooooooo frigging fantastic. Like they crossed VVVVVVV with N+. They obviously should have used a 1 letter name, that's the only disappointment.

8. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #28 VirtualBoyFreak, Sep 25, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
    Speed. I am speed. Move like a Cadillac, sting like a beemer... HoPiKo is triple speed!... SOLD! :D

9. orangecan

Aug 9, 2011
    Well I'm still stuck on this one - can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks in advance

10. collider

Patreon Bronze

Mar 22, 2013
    CEO/Owner Collider, Inc.
    NYC
    heh - you need to
    tap swipe on that one, not just tap.
    (not all that much of a spoiler - I just never used the spoiler button before) I love the way they throw that in just to mess with you :) So frustrating because you're so close to the end and you're on tap auto-pilot at that point.

This is one of the few games I actually find a joy to go back and replay to carve my times down. I got so obsessed with this I haven't even opened Astra or Land Sliders... along with Cavernaut this has been an incredible release week.

11. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Yep, the few seconds it takes to replay each run was implemented in such a way that even though the game does take pure skill on a dry run, it's beneficial to go back over and again to memorize each tap and swipe and ultimately carve an amazingly quick time.

I love this game and Laser Dog have executed this sucker in grand fashion!

Btw, give AstrĂ¥ some plays too, it's an awesome game too :D

12. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    This is a touch post platformer and a great game. I hope it doesn't get into the overlooked valley.

13. retrogamOR

retrogamOR Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2013
    Ok.Thanks.

Installed on my Ipad Mini & i'm having the same issue.I'm at a loss to why this happening.It's improved somewhat,some of my times have gone to GameCentre (some #1 on the scoreboards,surprisingly).It just seems random if my time gets uploaded or not.

14. orangecan

Aug 9, 2011
    Ahhh thanks very much I should really have worked that out but like you said your on autopilot by then!

Mind you I've been trying for the last half an hour and I still can't do it...

Must admit I don't normally do this kind of game but I'm loving this to bits.

The only other game of this type I loved was one involving an Australian in the outback (I think, memory is hazy) cartoony single screen thing whose name completely escapes me

15. 8BitFlash

8BitFlash Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    Love this game but my god it is so hard. You have to have some good reflexes and decide when the press very quickly.

16. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
  17. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    This is some excellent retro gaming! Beautiful enhanced retro aesthetic, fast paced slingshot platforming, and rocking chiptunish electronic soundtrack. You die a lot but the gameplay is so much fun that that you feel compelled to keep trying. This game will likely stay on my device for quite some time. Many thanks to the developers for yet another amazing game!

18. orangecan

Aug 9, 2011
    Got it now! Was staring me right in the face feel like a right numpty

19. orangecan

Aug 9, 2011
    Are you showing as 'not ranked'? When I first started playing I thought it was because I hadn't played the stage yet but I went back to it earlier today and saw my earlier stages were mostly showing that now too except one that had risen from 42 to 800.
    So I'm assuming that not ranked means I've been beaten out of the top 1000 or whatever the limit is - but I don't know for sure

20. collider

Patreon Bronze

Mar 22, 2013
    CEO/Owner Collider, Inc.
    NYC
    Insane score, but how are you staying on 00:00 until level 3?