Hook Worlds by Rocketcat Games (reelasing 16/dec)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Piasintein, Sep 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rblacula

Rblacula Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Silver Circle said...
    SEPTEMBER 25, 2010 11:47 PM
    Kepa said...

2. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    What Rblacula said. Why do you ask?

We'll probably make IAP available earlier than we usually do, since it's a 99 cent game. First update will most likely introduce alternate costume + extra hat packs for each character. Also any early requests, and the bonus world as a difficult unlock.

We're doing the Early Buyer's bonus thing again. This time we're going to try to link it to OpenFeint/Gamecenter accounts, so you can't lose your stuff. We'll be putting in a bunch of exclusive hats for people that get the game in the first few days, along with instant access to the bonus world, no waiting or unlocking necessary.

3. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #63 LordGek, Oct 13, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
    This looks like the game I was HOPING Quick Hook would have been so I'm all over it!

I love the concept of Quick Hook but, for the life of me, could never get the controls down. It never felt intuitive but, sadly, I really have no idea how you could have done it better.

I wouldn't mind if there are still some levels or aspects that the player has to work on to unlock, but I want to be able to play all randomly generated levels and at least have a decent chunk of content I can get into right off the bat.

I also love the idea of equipment that has as much function as style and like the concept of needing to carefully equip my guy with the right combination of gear (kind of like what they did in Wheeler's Treasure) where you can't simply have the best of everything but instead have to make tough decisions on which items to equip (these boots boost your fly time but these other boots will allow you to float on water...so which effect would be more useful to you as a player in this world?).

4. This looks really cool. Can't wait to check it out!

5. SilverCircleCircus

SilverCircleCircus Active Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Well if it's still early enough for hat requests, I'd say a Fidel Castro hat, a clown hat of some kind, a Napoleon hat, a truckers cap, a raspberry beret, a totinos pizza roll hat, a severed head, a conquistador helm, a batman cowl, a deep sea diver helmet, and a lampshade.

6. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I like functional equipment, too, but it's a game design nightmare due to how the levels are constructed. Wheeler's Treasure had really simple level geometry, making the equipment customization system a little saner. If Hook Worlds does *extremely* well, I am thinking about making a fantasy RPG world with different weapons. It's on the wish list.

Conquistador helm's already in. Diver helm's already in. I think we have a Napoleon-like hat, but I'd need to check.

Pizza rolls are hard to convey, since not everyone knows that they even exist. We totally have pizza roll billboards in one of the modes, though.

7. SilverCircleCircus

Jul 27, 2010
    It's good to know the lords of the dystopian future still peddle pizza rolls.

8. Rblacula

Rblacula Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Take as much time as you need! I'd say maybe even wait til LATE November cuz if you rush, it might not be as good as it could've been!

9. SilverCircleCircus

Jul 27, 2010
    Got some more hat requests: samurai helmet, indian headress, rasta dreads, medusa snakes, squid head, marge simpson hairdo, deer antlers, a balloon hat like clowns make for kids, jesters hat, a shark fin, a futurama brain slug, oversized cowboy hat, Card dealer visor, ram horns. How's about some hook requests! A skull hook with a bone chain, a slice of pizza hook with a chain of cheese, clampy teeth on a spring like data from the goonies, a giant neon sticky hand.

10. FL!ppY

FL!ppY Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2010
    Nice examples, i must admit that i would love to play with Marge's hair :)

11. polarsolstice

polarsolstice Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2010
    by gravity flip ability, will it effect to the things around gnomey or jut for gnomey? if the things around him is effected too it would be a large field of ideas and gameplay element to mine into

12. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Only Gnomey gets affected by using his gravity belt.

13. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    So where's the trailer?

14. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Before I go to sleep. Just waiting for music to be ready.

15. csklimowski

csklimowski Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cnlHApT1GU

Wow. That is one sweet trailer.

The only thing that bugs me is the fact that the hook sort of fades out of existence whenever it detaches from the ceiling. What's up with that?

16. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    It's just a cosmetic effect. I thought it looked pretty cool in-game.

17. cjsbug

cjsbug Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Kepa, I was convinced only seconds into the trailer that this is an instant buy! Can't wait :D It looks fantastic!

18. iamthekiller

iamthekiller Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Hook Champ is my favorite iPhone series. I'm looking forward to this

19. I'm horrible at Hook Champ and Super Quickhook, but the games are just so addicting. I'll be buying this on release.