GameClub Hook Champ (by Rocketcat Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Slapshot, Oct 17, 2009.

1. aloepar1

aloepar1 Well-Known Member

May 26, 2009
    USA
    I don't like to brag or anything, but I'm killing The Bat Idol. I'm COYO BTW

2. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I wonder why we get so many Canabalt comparisons? Must be the equal prices and general escape-to-the-right theme.

3. aloepar1

May 26, 2009
    USA
    I thought the closest thing was Swingaling or Rope'n'Fly, but I didn't like any of those two. As for Canabalt, I don't have it.

4. mrWalrus

mrWalrus Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2008
    designing games
    Venice, CA
    #64 mrWalrus, Oct 17, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
    While Hook Champ doesn't completely satisfy my need for a mobile version of Spelunky!,
    I'd say it comes pretty darn close. I'm Very much enjoying this title. :D

I love the upgrade tree. Gives me another reason to go back (and) play levels I've already completed. The mechanics are absolutely superb too. Was playing the entire time I was in the car today (was the passenger - lol). Everything feels extremely natural.. especially the upgrade stuff. Getting a good flow going with the rope is about as satisfying of an experience one can have on the platform.

This is by far the best platformer on the iPhone. Second place is so far away it might as well not exist. :eek:

Great work!

ps. btw, Spelunky! is free, and in my opinion one of the best games of 2009.

5. mebeswordguy

mebeswordguy Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2009
    This is the best game ever made. EVA.

6. AaronAMV

AaronAMV Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    WHO KNOWS
    After playing two or three more maps, all I have to say is "amazing!" This is by far on the best iDevice games I've played in a long while.

7. aloepar1

May 26, 2009
    USA
    Two things I would like to see:

1) When on vibrate, I still hear the music playing. Please make it so it disables all sounds.
    2) Make a "restart level" option when hitting the pause button. That would make it faster for people that are playing to improve their scores

8. Thorbjorn

Thorbjorn Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2009
    This game's badass. Nothing is more cool than a gold rope. Unless it's two golds ropes, but then we're just splitting hairs.

9. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Noted.

I'm eventually just going to have to replace the current app store text with toucharcade forum quotes.

Yeah, someone needs to rip off Spelunky. The problem is that would be extremely hard to do. A name would be easy to come up with, though. "iSpelank: In No Way Affilliated with Spelunky".

10. 5duc29

5duc29 Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Haven't played through all of it but do we get to play that female character in the game? It would be nice if we have another person to play, like one with different kinds of techniques/sources involved- stamina, new kind of hook, something..

11. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    No, but that's a pretty good idea.

In the earliest versions of the game, there was going to be alternate characters, each with their own level set. We ditched that in favor of just focusing on one character in specific. We'll probably mostly concentrate on adding levels and items to Jake, but a character unlock is still on the table. Something mostly cosmetic, but maybe some sort of slight advantage and disadvantage.

12. Gryphon23

Gryphon23 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    McDonalds! French Fries anyone?
    At that place... with those... people...
    pocket god crossover!!!!

jk

13. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    Please no, but am interested in new characters. I don't care if it is purely cosmetic or actual characters with different abilities.

14. mrWalrus

mrWalrus Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2008
    designing games
    Venice, CA
    mmm.. Spelunky! is going to be on XBLA soon and after that who knows.

Welcome to the board, Kepa.
    I fixed some of my grammatical errors in the love note on the prior page just in case you actually wanted to use it.. lol :p

15. pharmx

pharmx Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    I know I've already said this, but I love this game :D

I wish it still had manual retract though, those were some good times! ;)

16. statnut

statnut Well-Known Member

May 23, 2009
    It's a combo of that, and the timing of release. Canabalt was just released a few weeks ago, and their themes(to me anyway, are similar. But Hook Champ adds so much more to the genre, that it's superior in nearly every way.

17. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Picked it up :). Having fun so far! Retro graphics take me back to N64!

18. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Cosmetic characters or characters that are only a little different than Jake should be possible in an update. First we'll probably just be adding new level sets and smaller feature requests, though.

Hey, maybe I can do a contest later. A Design-A-Character contest, when the promo code would be more valuable. Some time after the 99 cent sale ends.

19. Ravenlock

Ravenlock Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    This is a pretty kickass title. For $.99, an absolute no-brainer. Bravo to the dev. Excellent work. :D

20. [cc]

[cc] Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    Wow, reading all these posts, it's really wonderful to see how much everyone's enjoying our game! We've been jotting down your suggestions, a lot of these ideas are ones we've been brainstorming about already so it's good to see what things the players would really like implemented. Anyway, back to work for me, got more code to write for our first update!