GameClub Hook Champ (by Rocketcat Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Slapshot, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Design decision. I figured more people would just want to have no music for the extra concentration on the harder levels, or just play their own music. Instead of having music for each level, we just made added support for playing your own music library.

The shotgun usually helps. The lowest level of the shotgun is a good 5 second stun if the Chaser is about to eat you. If you haven't done monkey yet, try that instead, as it's a little easier than bat. Other than that, we encourage trying to get better scores on lower levels if you get stuck, since beating Developer Scores gives you a lot of money for upgrades.

2. RayLancer

RayLancer Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    I love what you guys done with the game. At first when I saw the early screenshots, first thing that came to my head was this game reminded me of Spelunky.

But after playing it, I was wrong. This game is super addictive, I was playing it into the early morning until my iPod kept nagging me about the 20% battery left.

3. 5duc29

5duc29 Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Thanks! Just beat the level. Upgraded the rope twice. I think that helped + the level 2 shotgun.

Thanks again.

4. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    If anything, the game's probably a ripoff of Dino Run. I'm against BLATANT ripoffs, so I totally gave the dinosaur a grappling hook. Dino Run itself was a ripoff of Sonic the Hedgehog. Oh, Quake's grappling hook was also an inspiration, and I guess You Found the Grappling Hook.

Not that I wouldn't like to rip off Spelunky. It's one of my favorite games, though I'd want to make some design changes.

5. Rolento

Rolento Active Member

Jul 16, 2009
    K. Makes sense. I'll have to fire up some good ole chiptunes for this game then :)

6. RayLancer

Dec 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Oh, I didn't mean anything negative by what I said =] (I hope you didn't take what I said for something else) I just said the early screenshots reminded me of Spelunky.

7. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Every video game with any kind of user input is a ripoff of Pong!!!!! ;)

8. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Oh, I didn't take it that way. I took it as a compliment. I just tend to use "rip-off" and "inspiration" interchangeably.

9. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I heard Pong was a total ripoff of Ping-Pong, which predated it by at least 2 years.

10. Xood

Xood Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    Casual Game Developer (Coder,CTO,CEO)
    Germany
    played some more

I now finished:
    The Whimpy Idol
    Its of course quite easy. I let me 3 year old son play it for farming gold hehe)
    The Bat Idol
    For me the most difficult part were those walls I constantly had to break through. What is this bat item doing that can be purchased? Does it help or not, it seems I can go though the bats more easy, but hard to tell.
    The Monkey Idol
    More of the same.

Not finished yet.
    The Frog Idol
    Now here it started to get interesting. Lots of water that slows you down, and it helps a lot to have a long robe and rocket boots, so you can take the best routes.
    But the last level just kills me with all those walls. Too often I don't have the speed to break through, and at the end the big buy eats me.
    The Bull Idol
    Now that one really has it. Lots of lava, you fall into it and it takes your flesh of your skinny body.
    Later on there are small lave pits, which you can stay in for a fraction of a second.
    Though, but I like it.

Pro Controls
    I did try them, but could not figure out how to use those.
    Anyone really getting better result with them?

As for the price.
    I think $1.99 might be ok, but for more I doubt it will work out unless the potential buyer already knows how good the game is. The screenshots and the description just does not communicate it well enough to have a price of $2,99 for the game.

11. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

#51 Eli, Oct 17, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  12. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    The difference with Canabalt is that it has the press on its side already. That and a demo version in flash form.

What we're doing for Hook Champ is having a Lite version so people can experience the gameplay before they buy it. Sadly, Apple hasn't approved the Lite version yet for whatever reason. It was actually submitted a little while before the full version.

13. RayLancer

Dec 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    I'll try posting some word about this game to other indies sites.

14. zlibd

zlibd Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    New York
    great game.
    love the descriptions for alot of the upgrades like "the stache - facial hair is like a hat for your mouth' lol

15. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Hell yeah. You know, the checkpoint thing was considered but decided against due to the score-competition aspect of the game. Instead we went for shorter levels to lessen death frustration, as you picked up on. The only difficulty tweak I'd like to make in a content patch, so far, is adding a new item that gives you a mulligan in magma-heavy levels. I feel okay with the end of the game being difficult, as replaying the early levels for secrets/score competition is encouraged anyway.

Yes, that would be helpful. As a pretty new (and independent) developer, a lot of my emails seem to get lost in the shuffle. Seems unavoidable, so any hype I can get from fans of the game will be important.

If I have one complaint about the game, as a developer, it's that it doesn't have nearly enough hats.

16. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Yeah the only time where I ever felt difficulty was an issue was the magma levels. :)

17. zlibd

zlibd Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    New York
    to be fair, you can never have enough hats lol

18. Thery

Thery Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Errr it seems like another good game.

Still haven't beat any of the games o bought
    wasent trying to buy another untill I beat 1
    but am so tempted .: and elnimate is free now so

19. statnut

statnut Well-Known Member

May 23, 2009
    I hit #8 on the local leaderboard!

20. statnut

statnut Well-Known Member

May 23, 2009
    Having played the flash version, I prefer this to Canabalt. Not to say Canabalt is a bad game, but it gets old after a while.