GameClub Hook Champ (by Rocketcat Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Slapshot, Oct 17, 2009.

1. gsimonds

gsimonds Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    #21 gsimonds, Oct 17, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
    Didn't think I'd like this, but took a chance on it. Glad I did, it feels very satisfying to play it. You get into a groove and start zooming through the level and it did somewhat remind me of Canabalt. I'd gladly take this over the prior, due to the levels and item upgrades. Nice app!

2. mrWalrus

mrWalrus Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2008
    designing games
    Venice, CA
    The game plays very well.. getting in a flow is quite easy and fun.
    Hook Champ is brilliant fun!

3. aloepar1

aloepar1 Well-Known Member

May 26, 2009
    USA
    Definitely worth more than the asking price. Excellent controls which was my main worry, but they are perfect. And the upgrade shop is what makes this game something more than just a pick-up-and-play game. The game is very complete as it is, and if there are any updates, well even better.

4. RayLancer

RayLancer Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Wow I was pleasantly surprised by this. Addicting gameplay, lovely pixel graphics, great retro music, and only $1.

5. caubetocdaido

caubetocdaido Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Wowww ! i like it :x

6. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    This is a fun game, excellent mix of arcade and adventure action. Once you've played the interactive tutorial level you'll be "hooking" like a pro;)

7. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I'm glad everyone likes the game so far!

Oh, and there's going to be updates. Some of the planned ones are actually going to be pretty nutty. More info on this in the coming days.

8. truthlaser

truthlaser Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2009
    I've just played four levels but... wow, I really like this.

This feels great. Looks good, excellent control when you, uhm, get into the swing of things, lots of upgrades (the red bandana made me smile, so I just had to buy it), multiple ways through the levels and some sweet action.

Great tension as well. Seeing coins on different paths and having that monster chasing your ass makes for some quick decisions.

Lovely.

9. AaronAMV

AaronAMV Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    WHO KNOWS
    I bought this on a whim since it was only .99c and I'm glad I did! A fun little gAme with nice gameplay and I love the shop.

10. Rolento

Rolento Active Member

Jul 16, 2009
    I know it's short lived but hit #1 and a few high spots on the leader boards... very cool to see you unlock a crown to buy for getting #1 globally :)

nice.

also... there's hidden gems in the game? time to go hunting!

random question though... there's no background music for the stages? I love the main menu music... where's the game music?

11. xFinch713x

xFinch713x Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    I did not expect this game to be as awesome as it is. I love how the coins you collect in game are actually used to buy things in the store! It's also much more fun than I expected it to be. Pick this up now while it's 99cents, its absolutely a steal ;)

12. nyarla

nyarla Well-Known Member

This game is awesome fun, definitely my new favourite iphone game :D
    Nice work!

13. truthlaser

truthlaser Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2009
    Bought five maps in the game now, not completed every level yet. Need to go back and collect coins so that I can buy some upgrades in the shop.

This is just pure greatness.

The way the levels open up, the feeling you get when you're doing some perfect swings, the panic when you realise that the monster is right behind you and you run into a wall, the, well, everything.

There's some fantastic writing in there as well.

This is truly a magnificent gem. I sure hope it won't be buried among the general crap.

14. Xood

Xood Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    Casual Game Developer (Coder,CTO,CEO)
    Germany
    Very nice!

I was not sure what to get...

The game is almost like a side scrolling Jump'nRun, with the major difference of the hero carrying a robe with a hook attached. While walking and (later) jumping is possible, most of the time you spend swinging around like Tarzan.

There are multiple maps, each having maybe five or so levels.
    Each level can be re-played in order to get more gold or to climp up the local or global high score ladder.
    I love to be able to re-play the levels, as it allows me to spend my earned gold in the shop to upgrade things.
    For example: Get a better hook, longer robe, faster shoes, new maps with new levels, etc.

The shop is accessible from the world map, here you also see the regions you unlocked and with a simple touch you get a level list and pick the one to play.

One more important thing to mention. Besides the first, all other level seem to have some big monster in there chasing you. Hence you can not spend much time exploring around as you got to hurry up or else you will get caught.
    Right now it is all fine, I just hope it won't become too stressful in later levels. :)

Visually it all looks very old school, but definitely polished. The game feels very nice and I can say the coder is a good one. :)

Highly Recommended at $0,99!!

15. cranker

cranker Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Montreal
    Just picked this up......Great casual pick up and play :) Pick it up at .99 !

16. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    That's good, because it's 3 dollars after the opening weekend.

We delayed release by about 2 weeks just doing the controls over completely and adjusting the difficulty curve. I think the delay was worth it.

So do I! A lot of it depends on if large reviewers cover the game. I imagine Hook Champ is easy to ignore for them, being our first major game. Hopefully the fact that there's so many early fans when the game is just on this toucharcade thread will be helpful.

Looking at the scoreboards, I notice that Xood has discovered that it becomes stressful in later levels. We wanted a nice curve from the simple and replayable early levels to the brutal final levels. Most people should hit a wall for awhile around Golden Frog or Silver Bull. I notice a couple people that have gotten a little further than that already.

Thanks for all the compliments, Xood and this entire thread!

Better get the game while it's still 99 cents! We'll have the occasional $1.99 sale for patches, but it will never be 99 cents again. Early adopter bonus!

17. 5duc29

5duc29 Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    I'm stuck on the last level of Bat. It's frustrating that the monster catches up and eat me up, I tried upgrading but still die. Any suggestions, 65% through the level before I die I suck at this game :(

18. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    very tempted to pick this up from all the enthusiastically good commentary on it

19. Igoo

Igoo Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Oh man. Picked this up on a whim... and super glad I did. The graphics aren't my taste... but the gameplay is phenomenal. I'm on the Silver Bull. Two more and I think I'm done... then i can focus on beating all your scores. :)

20. lasharor

lasharor New Member

Oct 17, 2009
    #40 lasharor, Oct 17, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
    My tips:

• Use the hook by pressing the top right corner, this shoots it away in a 45 degree angle. If you don't do it like this you wont make enough speed at later levels.
    • Upgrade Rope->Hook->Rope. Don't max your hook, try to buy running shoes and shotgun. Max your hook at later levels. Rope is important, so max that one. (if you feel confident, get loot vacuum to lvl 3 (or 2, dont max it). You will get more coints and more money but you will have to play without rope and hook upgrades
    • Don't buy hats at the beginning, money is important.
    • You make more speed if you keep the rope short, longer ropes make the character go slower. (personal thing, don't know if kepa would agree.)
    • When you have maxed all, buy a hat and try to get high scores at the first levels. Nice to see your name with your hat on top of the online high scores.

Ps. it is totally normal that you have to retry the last level for like 30 times. I Played a lot and still didn't beat that last level.