GameClub Hook Champ (by Rocketcat Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Slapshot, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    You did it!

HC-related art tutorial on the blog. Also contains a Jake sprite in a PSD file, which has been requested before.

http://blog.rocketcat-games.com/

2. TheSporkWithin

TheSporkWithin Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2010
    College student, studying English/Japanese lit.
    Silver Hat is still driving me insane. I just get so frustrated with it... I can clear every other level no problem, and have beaten the dev score on all but one or two, but I can rarely make it through the second lava tunnel, and when I do I always mess up just past the lava wall. >_<

3. maxoster

maxoster Member

Feb 21, 2010
    needing help

Ok so on gold bull i try and try and try, but i thought i did everything peerfect and i got 3rd world wide. anytips?

4. Morenar

Morenar Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Keep trying :D I doubt Mikeg123 or our favorite not a robot qpawn are going to give up their closest secrets. Hmmmm....I do believe I need to get back into the high score race...So many other games have been vying for my attention.

Oh, as a side note to Kepa, this should make you really happy

http://www.slidetoplay.com/story/friday-slide-obsessions-in-the-making-dino-run-for-iphone

Dino Run for the iphone. More hats!

5. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    I don't think there is any real secret to Golden Bull. I think the key to that level is to get through the crumbling blocks at the end without slowing down. I personally like to use Gunny and her shotgun blasts, but that doesn't always do it for me.

6. hacknslash64

hacknslash64 Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Wooot!
    Finished Silver Hat!
    What an evil level, those third set of rings were forged by lucifer himself.
    I must have died a few hundred times on those rings, I only got past them twice but luckily the rest of the level isn't so punishing.

7. KGameLover1

KGameLover1 Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Student
    Ohio
    I still haven't beat Silver Hat and I've had this game ever since Hookbot came out.
    Can never get past that 3rd set...

8. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Hook Champ was/is pretty much a Dino Run tribute, already.

Hook Champ update in the works. The focus of this upcoming update: New music for the levels, made by the original Hook Champ musician, Amon26. I think we'll have about 7 new songs, to play as you're dying in Gold Bull or Silver Hat.

This update will hit at about the same time the next game is released.

9. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    When's that?

Can't wait for it.

10. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    Hook Champ+Quick Hook! WTF!

i would go kill myself in excitement, but then i cant play.

11. Piasintein

Piasintein Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Up! :)

12. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Our plan to make it so you never lost a score upload from being offline was tied to shifting over to OpenFeint, completely. This would involve taking our score servers down. The one downside to OpenFeint scores is that it's a hassle to do weekly clears of it. So, switching over would basically make the crown achievement impossible.

For Super Quick Hook, we moved over to OpenFeint scores completely. We just designed things from the ground up to support this change. There's alternate ways to get the crown, for one thing. Also, OpenFeint supports keeping track of what hat you're wearing now, and what grappling hook you're using, and so on.

While putting music into Hook Champ, we discovered a bug that made the title screen much slower than it should have been. It turns out that the music made it load a lot slower, and stutter a little. That bug was fixed easily, so the Hook Champ music update will run smooth.

13. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Super QuickHook (sequel to Hook Champ) submitted.

We're now finishing up the update to Hook Champ. It will be submitted tonight.

- New music! A long requested addition: there's now music for when you're playing the levels.
    - 4 new SQH themed hats.
    - A Rocketcat news updates/catalog thinger.
    - Performance tweak! Main menu no longer stutters, for example.
    - Various other tweaks/bugfixes.

It should come out the day Super QuickHook comes out. We'll have a release date for the patch as soon as Apple lets us know.

14. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    When do you think the new HC levels will be coming out? I'm sure with all the SQH work, you guys haven't had much time to put into the new HC levels. But I seem to remember you saying that new levels would be coming around the time SQH was released.

15. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    To be honest, I'm not sure when/if Hook Champ is getting more levels. We wanted to. The problem is that Super QuickHook is just much, much easier to update than Hook Champ.

Super QuickHook was built from the ground up to be extremely modular. A lack of modularity was one of Hook Champ's flaws, and why we made an entirely new engine for SQH. As a direct result for this, SQH is literally about seven times easier to update than Hook Champ.

Not only does SQH have a much more modular framework, it also has a much better level editor. Hook Champ's level editor was not pretty. SQH also has a better testing environment, due to the checkpoints. In Hook Champ, I had to test each new level over and over again, from the start, endlessly.

Finally, we kind of backed ourselves into a corner of what sort of levels we could add in Hook Champ, creatively. The lack of modularity meant that we couldn't really bend the game too far in terms of new code. This limited what ideas we could implement for new levels, so making levels that were actually different from each other (in gameplay terms) was daunting after the Hat Dimension levels.

I'm sorry to disappoint. I'm also sorry about the essay. New Hook Champ levels aren't incredibly likely. Even if we could revamp Hook Champ's framework at this point, it would not be a good/sane move, in terms of survival.

16. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    Thanks for the explanation! I completely understand what you are saying, and why you would choose not to add more HC levels. If it were me, I wouldn't. ;)

17. weedeatinflyincougar

weedeatinflyincougar Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Well, I've started playing this game again. Does anyone have amy tips for the Rat amd Skull levels? I can't seem to beat them.

Also, should I get the Cursed hook or the Grappling hook cannon? I only have enough gold for one.

18. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    #3798 Kepa, Jun 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
    The cursed hook is Jake's unique hook, the cannon is Gunny's. Get the one that matches whatever character you play as more.

For Rat, Gunny has an easier time with the levels due to more shotgun ammo, though they're designed so Jake can survive them, barely.

Edit: Hook champ update submitted! The stuff I was talking about in an above post, plus Pro Mode is back.

19. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

yep. don't fix it if it aint broke. (but oh wait, maybe make it bigger ;))

20. weedeatinflyincougar

weedeatinflyincougar Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    I use the Golden Monkey for gold runs.

Also,

[​IMG]

Look at my top 2 times on this. I beat myself by 0.01 seconds. :eek: