GameClub Hook Champ (by Rocketcat Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Slapshot, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    We're moving to a fake 16-bit style of graphics, rather than fake 8-bit style. We might try the 8-bit style again someday, but only if it was like a super bright and colorful game. Even then, it's a tough call. I think 16-bit style graphics would have more universal appeal.

Also, Kig's bug might end up being a "feature". We can't fix it, due to time constraints, until the next planned Hook Champ update. That's like a month away. At that point, we'd have to go back and erase a month's worth of high scores...

2. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Yeah, it is a tough call. I still feel mixed about using it. As I mentioned before, I used it on Stone Monkey, and have the current high score -- only because that level was already tainted for me, so I figured I'd at least shoot for the high score. I'll hold off on using it on any other level. If it is decided that it will be a "feature", and others decide to use it (like qpawn), then I might consider replaying some of the levels. Honestly, I don't really feel like going through all of the levels trying to make use of it. And I'd rather see it go away, but as you mentioned, that really skews the high scores at that point.

3. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    I'm having a hell of a time trying to beat silver Minigore. I keep dying. :(

Any tips?

4. Mag

Mag Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Can you, or someone else, explain how this works exactly? I tried but nothing happened :p

5. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Just do exactly as Kig mentioned. :p Seriously, it doesn't happen every time, and that is part of the challenge -- you have to play with the timing of pressing jump, pause, and restart. If you get it, you will know.

6. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    Is there any prefered characters to use for the harder levels like the skull, rat, and forbidden hat levels? What is the difference between Gunny, Zelle, and Jake?

Also do I need to have the upgraded hooks (the $3000 ones) to beat the forbidden hats level?

Also I'm still getting owned by the Minigore level. :mad:

7. Bluellama1

Bluellama1 Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Student
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    Very precise timing is required. If you get it right your character will already be hooked onto something when you start.

8. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    #3728 eev, Apr 7, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
    i think style of graphics is not so important in this case. and for example Hook Champ drains more mah thnn jet car stunts on my iphone. it's very sad but most developers don't try to optimize power drain of their games on iphone. sometimes it is just ridiculous when simple games drain more mah than shooters.

9. sirluke

sirluke Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    any tips for the forbidden hats lvl? i keep dying but maybe thats cus i suck :(

10. Twiddle

Twiddle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    I wonder when the blog is going to be updated... it's been a really long time.

This is probably the most frequently asked question. It really just takes time and repetition to beat it. It's 25% skill and 75% luck. There aren't any huge tricks to beating the levels.

11. sirluke

sirluke Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    can u beat it with the robot? i started the lvl with him and he didnt pick up the treasure

12. Twiddle

Twiddle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    You can beat them with Hookbot, but you don't win the hats, except for Silver, which is only beatable with Jake.

So your best bet is just either

a) Play the level through with normal characters

or

b) Beat the level with Hookbot then go back and beat it with normal characters

13. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Probably when Super Quickhook is released, to be honest. We haven't had time for our planned redo of the blog's content. When we get around to it, it will be a "behind the scenes" kind of thing, with stuff like concept art and early drafts.

14. Martini HFX

Martini HFX New Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Canada
    First time posting, but just wanted to say that Hook Champ is far and away my favourite iphone game. Originally checked this site for tips on how the hell to beat the stone hat level, but eventually I was able to figure it out, and now I'm here for good! Plus tips for the bronze hat would be welcome as well!

Looking forward to Super Quickhook...

15. kijib

kijib Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Incredibly successful Brain Surgeoune
    Pokemon World
    this game has jailbroken issues

16. RJ

RJ Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    California
    By the means of...? Hacking money i assume?

17. kijib

kijib Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Pokemon World
    new levels wont unlock after i beat the previous level

18. RJ

RJ Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    California
    Hmm, that is pretty weird. How can jailbreaking affect that though?

Oh, and i'm STILL stuck on Silver Hat, been mocking me since January of this year. :(

19. kijib

kijib Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Pokemon World
    i think its a conspiracy

20. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    Why don't you just buy the game?