GameClub Hook Champ (by Rocketcat Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Slapshot, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Mag

Mag Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Hookbot is not chased by the ghost and cant die from lava/etc. He's slower though, but good character to learn a level (and its secrets).

2. LunarKeys

LunarKeys Member

Feb 1, 2010
    #3702 LunarKeys, Mar 22, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
    Hookbot:

- Disables the cursed chaser. (at the cost of the ability to pick up loot in the hatbox levels)
    - Gives you immunity to lava and acid.
    - Has a recharging steam jump (You have one shot instead of four or five, but it recharges over time. The recharging speed depends on how many upgrades you have purchased)
    - Has a block-punching ability that knocks blocks out of the way far more easily than crashing into them as Jake or Gunny.
    - Does not have any shotgun capabilities. (which makes him poor for speedrunning in almost every level, sans Silver Skull and perhaps a few others where there are lots and lots of blocks)

3. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    I was confused about the not dying from lava thing because I still died but once I purchased an item from the store I'm now imune to it which makes the level a joke.

Either way I'm still happy to say I beat it using the main character. :D

Is there a post that explains all the items in the shop? I'm just wondering because some of them just have a funny little saying about an item but doesn't really explain what it does.

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Most are self-explanatory, which ones are confusing you?

5. Drucifer

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    The expensive ones, are they character exclusive?

For instance:

Mega Drill (assuming helps you go through blocks)
    Laser Hook
    The Grapplin' Cannon
    The Cursed Hook

I've still yet to purchase Double Barrel.

6. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Yes those hooks are character exclusive. They're mostly just for looks, but they are slightly upgraded too. But they don't do anything special above and beyond the regular hooks (help you break blocks, etc), they just look fancier. I can't remember exactly what Double Barrel is, but I believe it just gives you another shotgun blast.

7. Drucifer

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    Thanks. So there are two shotgun power ups. I'm guessing one effects how long the crazy demon guy stays away from you and the other effects the number of shots you get. Makes sense.

8. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    #3708 mikeg123, Mar 28, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
    It has been a while since I've played HC, but I thought I'd take a look at some of the high scores. Where did Kig come from? I've seen his name from way back (I'm guessing he took a long break at some point), but he is back with a vengenance. Not only has he taken all of the #1 (global OF) spots on the Bull levels (and Bronze and Silver Wimpy and Gold Monkey), he has destroyed some of qpawn's scores. For example, on Golden Bull, qpawn was at 10445, I'm at 10444, and Kig is at a whopping 10496!

I haven't seen any posts from Kig, but if you are reading, what is your secret?

He obviously figured something out on those levels.

9. greggfrog

greggfrog Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Help me?

Hiya,

I am stuck

How do I complete the Silver One on the Forbidden Hats

At one point, there is no where to hang onto or go? what happens?

10. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    You need to use two rocket jumps to get past the point where there is lava above and below. Wait until you are about to hit the lava (below you), and then fire a rocket jump. Repeat one more time and then you will see a ceiling that you can hook on to.

11. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I know Kig. He's been playing since the release of the game. That probably has something to do with his high scores.

Trailer's done. We're just waiting on the music, which was delayed a little bit. So, get ready.

12. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    Kepa, is it possible for you to show us a map of an entire level so we see what it's like :eek: I've been stuck on the last skull level for like 2 months :eek:

13. kig

kig New Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Yes, there is a trick. You've probably seen it during your play and dismissed it as a glitch. Without it, the perfect run score for Golden Bull is around 10445 (I was at 10441 with one bad block break or somesuch.) 10496 is a perfect run score using the trick.

Man, the hat levels were a pain.

14. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    #3714 mikeg123, Apr 1, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
    Welcome, kig! I thought that there might be something. I didn't doubt that you were good, as I mentioned before I have seen your name on the boards. I was just surprised at your scores since I figured we had really hit the upper limits on the Bull levels. But sounds like you figured something out. I can't say I have noticed any glitch. I'd be curious as to what it is -- more from a curiousity standpoint. But probably not the best place to state it in the forums.

Anyway, good to see you here. I haven't been playing at all, and I probably won't until new levels come out.

15. kig

kig New Member

Oct 27, 2009
    I thought I'd milk some interest but pfft. Tap jump, then immediately pause and restart.

16. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    Kig, nice find! It doesn't work everytime, but I definitely see what is going on. I can't say that I ever saw that before. And it appears to be more of a glitch/bug. I only tried it on Stone Monkey, and I beat my high score by 2 points with a less-than-perfect run. I actually feel tainted now. I'm not sure what others will think of this one, but Kepa might want to take a look, and decide whether they want to provide a fix. I don't know if I feel right continuing to use it.

But a very cool find!

17. kig

kig New Member

Oct 27, 2009
    I kinda like it more than the normal start as it gives you more ways to screw up. Of course you still end up grinding the starts to neck-to-neck races but eh.

18. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    Yeah, you do need to grind the starts to actually get it to work, and then you still need a great run to have a chance at a high score. Fortunately, this technique won't magically provide #1 global scores (OF) without any work. :)

19. influx-z

influx-z Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    I like this game!
    The gameplay is very vary addictive, maybe a bit repetitive, but still fun.
    The graphics are nice, and I understand it is a retro - game, but I would expect some more quality with my iphone which can render 3D and nice alpha pngs.

Nice game overall.

20. Drucifer

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    While 3D graphics are nice the 8-bit style graphics are not only nostalgic but also better on battery consumption. ;) I also think they fit the style of the game perfectly.