GameClub Hook Champ (by Rocketcat Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Slapshot, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Twiddle

Twiddle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    I'm thinking the same thing. Hook Champ was a cool name for the game, but QuickHook... I don't like it. Anyone have any ideas for an alternative name, other than "QuickHook" or "Avalanche Game"?

2. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Honestly I like "Avalanche". Short, simple, and to the point. QuickHook is just meh. Sounds like it wants to be Hook Champ.

3. Shumby

Shumby Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2009
    quickhook? :(

I want this game no matter the title... but that's disappointing.

4. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Yeah, I can't say I'm a big fan of the name "QuickHook". Since the new game isn't necessarily a sequel to Hook Champ, I'd rather see "Avalanche" in the title. Either just "Avalanche" or how about "Avalanche Run" or "Avalanche Chase" or "Hookalanche". Ha!

5. Shumby

Shumby Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2009
    hookalanche has my vote :)

6. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    I might be in the minority here but think 'QuickHook' is a fine name; it indicates that the game is related to 'Hook Champ' without being a straight sequel.

In the end, what'll matter is the gameplay and controls (not suggesting those who dislike the name are unaware of this) and not the name.

Though come to think of it, 'Hookalanche' is rather catchy.

7. Mag

Mag Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
  8. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    I'd rather have Avalanche Champ tbh :p.

9. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I like Quickhook.

Though we were thinking of having it be "QuickHook: Escape from Eagle Mountain" as the full title.

Hey GDC over.
    Back to work on the game. I'll mostly be communicated via the Twitter for awhile. Heavy development time.

10. Bluellama1

Bluellama1 Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Student
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    You guys do realize that before Kepa started calling it Avalanche Game he called it Quick Hook. Just sayin'. Avalanche would be a cool name though.
    Friend: "Watcha' playin' there Andrew?"
    Me: "I'm playing Avalanche."
    Friend: "Sounds awesome, I'm gonna buy it because of it's name."
    Me: "Don't forget to buy Hook Champ, I told you to buy that months ago!"

11. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    Are the secret hat levels a cruel joke from the developers? They are impossible!

12. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    They are cruel, but not a joke and not impossible. :)

13. Mag

Mag Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Still wondering about this :eek:

14. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I like Avalanche, also Snowslide... just to be different.

15. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    My problem with "Avalanche (insert blank here)" is simply that Avalanche mode is just one mode. There's the one cross-country avalanche escape mode, then 4 or 5 (on release) no-avalanche modes where you can take your time if you want, set across different climate and landscape types. We're also going to experiment with adding more of these racing levels; if people go nuts for them it would be easy to keep adding more. We made absolutely sure this time around that the game is easy to update.

Back to work for me. And by work I mean Quickhook work. The new art pass is looking pretty intense.

16. Mag

Mag Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Ah, so the Hook Champ type levels wont have a ghost/avalanche chasing you? Thus giving the game the exploration/ease of hookbot but still the time/points trial like with Jake&co? Cool :D

17. The Guy

The Guy Member

Jan 28, 2010
    I decided to post here because this game is pretty much the best. I'm in 20th on the Open Feint Grand Total scores. That's right, I'm the infamous Player 71349413. On the in-game score-boards, I go by Cosmo. Named after Cosmo Kramer. I was reluctant at first to get this game, but I've been addicted ever since. I've played it far more than any of my other apps.

18. zoo

zoo Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    'Quickhook' is too generic a name, I think. If I didn't know about the game already, and saw it while flicking through the App Store, I wouldn't hesitate to skim straight past it. I understand that 'Avalanche' might be a misnomer if avalanches are only featured in 1 game mode.

Hopefully the game will be good enough for such trivialities to not matter. :)

19. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

everyone knows avalanches can happen anywhere! on a mountain, in an ancient jungle temple, in a volcano, down your road...

:D

20. Grohl960

Grohl960 Active Member

Jul 1, 2009
    I'm wondering... I haven't seen this asked anywhere (or answered) but if you're travelling by hook, cross country, presumably down a mountainside, what exactly is it you're hooking onto?