GameClub Hook Champ (by Rocketcat Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Slapshot, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Controls.

2. maxoster

maxoster Member

Feb 21, 2010
    When he said that german it was being said to someone else not you he just translated to you .

3. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Kepa-

I think you should remove the lite or enhance it somehow. Everyone hates it (including me) but loves the full version.
    Anyone have any idea why? I deleted the lite in like 5 minutes yet still bought the full for no apparent reason (and thinks it was the best 2.99 ever)

4. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    #3624 mikeg123, Mar 9, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
    I never tried the lite version, but I could think of two reasons why people don't like it. First, do you start out with the rudimentary hook and hook length? If so, then that could be a problem, as you really need those upgrades to make the game playable. Second, it could just be the fact that people aren't used to the hook mechanics, and I think that is something you might not get the hang of when playing the lite version for 5 minutes. It seems common that people don't care for the game at first, but after sticking with it for a bit, something finally clicks and the game becomes fun.

I don't know if getting rid of the lite version would be a good thing. It seems on one side it could discourage people from buying the full game (as you pointed out), or if there isn't a lite version, then people will complain that there isn't one, and won't buy the game until they can try out a lite version.

5. frendil

frendil Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2009
    New Zealand!!
    I didnt find the lite too bad, hasnt convinced me to buy it yet but I think I got the general idea, it comes with 12 levels so thats pretty good value for a lite version

6. Kaos999

Kaos999 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Australia
    I got the Lite and pretty much hated it. I couldn't work out why people liked the game so much. However I had $4 sitting on my account, so I decided to take the plunge and buy the full version.

At first I didn't really like it, but once I was used to the controls and got better at the game, it was loads of fun. I was especially drawn in by the lava levels.

Now I'm stuck on Golden Skull, but I have no regrets about buying the game.

7. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    The main problem with the lite is just exposure. A large amount of people that try the lite get the full, usually around 20%. This is pretty significant, I hear lite to full conversion is usually around 1% to (rarely) 8%, depending. However, this is limited by how many people get the Lite. A bad game that somehow gets to #1 on the free chart and has a .01% conversion rate is in way better shape than a free game that never gets on the chart and has a 30% conversion rate.

8. Urthop

Urthop Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Speaking from personal experience, it's not that the lite is bad, it's that the game needs some getting used to. I know I installed the lite at first, played it for a while, and deleted it soon after at first.

After seeing all the hype in this thread I decided to give the lite a go again, got through the beginning hurdles of learning to play, and then fell in love with it and bought the full version :p

9. elnombre

elnombre Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2009
    I get considerable lag on my 3G too, even with Speed Fix enabled.

10. Mag

Mag Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    If you reboot your iphone and then launch the game, does it still lag?

11. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    What is this? :)

Cannot wait.

12. Mag

Mag Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    A Hands-On Preview of Avalanche Game

13. misfitskater6

misfitskater6 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    I can't wait for Quickhook. And more hats to spend all my money on in Hook Champ.

14. felnan

felnan Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    I really dont like the title.. Quick Hook? Why not Avalanche Game.. Quick hook sounds like an hook upgrade lol :D

15. dotBrain

dotBrain Active Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Got dang I can't wait.

That said, take your time and do what you gotta do to put it out as you see fit!

16. Mag

Mag Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    I'd prefer just "Avalanche". I hate both names, "Hook Champ" and "Quick Hook".

17. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    You don't like the name Hook Champ? Its one of my favorites. Though I agree, Avalanche would be cool, Quick Hook doesn't catch my fancy at all.

18. Mag

Mag Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Btw, whats the technique for going fastest? At what angle do I need to unhook and at what angle should I shoot the new hook?
    I'm at the point where I'm 9th in the global leaderbord in a certain level but I nearly have to shave off a whole second when my run was pretty much perfect. Some tenth of a second could probably be improved just by trying, but to beat that whole second I should probably know what the fastest hooking method is.

19. felnan

felnan Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    In my opinion i think that if they put QuickHook to the game , the game isn't gonna catch the people attention to buy it... Again..?? QuickHook ?? Are you serious kepa..? I prefer The Avalanche Game, Avalanche Game , Avalanche or Hook Champ 2 but i dont really like the other name its sounds like an hook upgrade / so kepa think about that!

20. Mag

Mag Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Yeh, "Hook Champ 2" would be okay too, but I'd still prefer "Avalanche". Hopefully Kepa will take notice when he's back from GDC, but I doubt he'll be convinced :p