GameClub Hook Champ (by Rocketcat Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Slapshot, Oct 17, 2009.

1. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Just having a little fun is all. I mean I'm all for user reviews, however, he obviously didn't research the game at all, otherwise he'd at least have an understanding as to why the graphics are as they are. And he obviously didn't spend much time playing the game. To say it has bad graphics, sketchy controls, and is a "don't buy" seemed a bit off. Of course he doesn't have to like the game, but that review was ridiculous.

2. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I consider it an ok review. I mean, he managed to film the game, at least. Camera pointed in the right direction and everything.

Always have to look at the silver lining.

3. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
  4. Twiddle

Twiddle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    Yeah, same here. From the comments in this thread, it would probably provide a good laugh. What account on YouTube created this video? I want to give that guy a sandwich... a knuckle sandwich, of course.

5. misfitskater6

misfitskater6 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    The user was AppEachDay. Basically he was on one of the stone levels, was using the basic controls with the arrows, and did more running than swinging. At one point, he used the hook to pull himself up a wall instead of simply swinging up, or using the bounce pad directly underneath him. For his commentary, he said that the first thing you'll notice is the graphics are not very good, though they're a bit better during gameplay. He also didn't mention anything about upgrades or hats, nor did he go into the shop at all.

You could totally tell that he did no research on the game and spent almost no time at all playing it. He was playing bronze wimpy actually, and based on how he was playing, I'd be willing to bet that that stage was as far as he'd gotten in the game. What a great reviewer.

6. Twiddle

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    Checked out his account out of curiosity. I don't want to be hating on him, but how can he honestly put out quality reviews if he's dishing them out every day? My suggestion to you, AppEachDay, would be to beat every game you get before reviewing it, or else you will miss a lot of the games content. You should probably change your name to AppEachWeek.

I'll give this reviewer a chance if he gives his games he reviews a chance.

7. misfitskater6

misfitskater6 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Meh, he's only got a couple subscribers, and if he's not spending any time with his reviews, then they aren't going to be any good. That's probably why he pulled his Hook Champ review, four people calling him on his poor reviewing practices and he didn't want the bad feedback.

I would hope that people looking for decent reviews would look somewhere other than YouTube... like touchArcade :p

8. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Yeah, hopefully. I rarely check out YouTube videos of games. Basically, if TA reviews the game as good, or it makes the front page, or it is getting good reviews in a thread, then I will usually take the jump and buy the game given that.

9. Twiddle

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    It takes some looking, but there are a few legit iPhone reviewers on YouTube. TouchArcade is of course the best, mostly because they stay updated on the current iPhone gaming news. I actually go to a number of reviewing sites for iPhone games (4), but I always come back to TouchArcade for the most accurate and recent iPhone gaming news. For the most part, the good iPhone reviewers on YouTube actually have another site for reviews and news, so I'm not sure if that would go with what your saying or not.

10. poutini

poutini Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Student
    Calgary
    I don't want to divert discussion to something less interesting but ...

how the deuce do I get those diamonds in the gold forbidden hat level? I want them so bad! :confused:

11. Twiddle

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    It's not possible.

12. poutini

poutini Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Student
    Calgary
    Kepa! DLC Suggestion!
    A giant drill hat for hookbot so I can drill through to those diamonds. I would pay a dollar for that.

13. Bluellama1

Bluellama1 Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Student
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    That would be kewl. I want my top hat though.

14. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    You unlock the super top hat for Hookbot by buying his extremely expensive laser hook.

We're toning down the pricey purchases for the next game, by the way. We wanted money sinks, but it's actually better to have a lot of optional, smaller money sinks than it is to have a few huge ones.

15. BlazeX444

BlazeX444 Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    this game is definitely looking interesting, might have to buy as soon as it goes on sale.

16. Twiddle

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    That sounds like a great idea.

This game will never go on sale again.

17. sebasterbator

sebasterbator Well-Known Member

Sorry to dissapoint you but it's already been said that there won't be any furthur sales.

18. dotBrain

dotBrain Active Member

Oct 21, 2009
    I actually feel bad for having purchased Hook Champ when the one and only launch sale happened.

Kepa take my money pls.

19. MenaceInc

MenaceInc Well-Known Member

I bought it on it's launch sale for only £0.59/$0.99...bought both pieces of DLC though so don't feel that guilty :D

20. Twiddle

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    I don't really see any reason to feel guilty. You probably wouldn't have bought it at the time without the sale, as it wasn't well-known. Besides, you're not stealing Kepa's money when it was his decision to make the game go on sale anyways.