GameClub Hook Champ (by Rocketcat Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Slapshot, Oct 17, 2009.

1. SirDarkened

SirDarkened Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Ha srsly?
    Where do I live?
    I feel like the crown isn't too hard to achieve once you have the skill to beat the Silver Hatbox level. I'm so proud I beat it at 6:30 am ;) I'd like to see someone try that!

2. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    #3402 mikeg123, Feb 17, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
    Actually, zoo already has a crown. He was just referring to the point I made that I'm not going to submit my scores to the weekly boards -- and zoo was commenting that he might do the same, but wasn't sure if that really mattered for him.

3. zoo

zoo Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    I have crowns aplenty. :) I was referring to trying to get up to #3 in the All-Time rankings... but isn't 3rd place 2nd loser? Without qpawn and mike's scores making the weekly leaderboards, I could probably get all the top spots. But it'd be a hollow victory. :eek:

I really hope the ice levels prove to be fun for us speedrunners. The Minigore ones aren't. And with very little else to achieve apart from beating my best times by milliseconds, or speedrunning those horrible Frog levels, Hook Champ has taken a backseat to the new Angry Birds levels.

4. qpawn

qpawn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    California, USA
    You forced me to leave my cave and venture out into the real world. There's this beautiful stuff called "fresh air" and it's actually quite breathtaking. (pun intended)

5. Shumby

Shumby Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2009
    I'm like ... 1000th loser, then. You could always hold out and wait for qpawn or mikeg's significant others to delete their OF account... that's one way to win - by default. :p

6. zoo

zoo Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    I don't think qpawn's sock puppet has the limbs or motor skills required to delete an OF account.

7. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    Did you also shave your big, burly beard? :)

8. qpawn

qpawn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    California, USA
    I like the Minigore levels. They're perfectly suited for speed running. The gold one is a little rough because of the long chain of blocks, but the other three are pretty fun. Sure, they're missing the strategy of where to Rocket or Shotgun, but they take some skilled hooking to get through quick. :rolleyes:

9. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    I actually really like the Frog levels. I didn't at first, but once you get used to them, they aren't that bad.

Oh yeah, I've been spending my time playing Angry Birds, too. I have almost 3 starred all of the new levels. I don't have hopes of breaking the top 10.

10. qpawn

qpawn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    California, USA
    My sock puppet is an avid hooker herself. She also plays Hook Champ. :rolleyes:
    She wouldn't delete my account, unless she wanted to boost her own OF ranking.

I am officially baby-faced. :cool:

11. SirDarkened

SirDarkened Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Ha srsly?
    Where do I live?
    Yeah angry birds is sick game, picked it up last night ;).

MiniGore levels are okay, I really don't like Gold at all though. So annoying...

12. miklamagic

miklamagic Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Zoot, congrats on passing me and moving to #3! I'm taking a break from Hook Champ to play Minigore. I'll be back after I get a million kills!

13. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    3-5 dollars for 4 solid months of gameplay isn't that bad.

We're working a lot on the next game this week. We hope to have it ready for previews in a month, then released in less than a month after that.

14. Twiddle

Twiddle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    TIPS or GTFO!

Kepa, I'm really loving how you're posting "random tips". It's a great idea. I also absolutely love how you're going to be adding a lot of Easter Eggs into the Avalanche Game. Everyone, follow Kepa on his twitter, so he'll post more useful content! http://twitter.com/rocketcatgames

I own the legal rights to an Avalanche Game Easter Egg Guide, so don't even try it, or I'll sue you for everything you've got. Even if that means a sock puppet and a cardboard box. (Yeah, I'm talking to you!)

By the way, you people shouldn't expect Kepa to be able to produce quality levels in 5 days.

15. zoo

zoo Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    If that's directed at my previous comments, then don't get me wrong - I love this game, have got 100x my money's worth out of it, and have recommended it to countless other people. If anything, I was bemoaning my own inability to beat the top scores. I just hope that by the time you guys decide to stop making new content for Hook Champ, that it'll have been replaced as my favorite iDevice game by your next title.

Has the Minigore crossover attracted many new customers?

16. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I know. Also, I don't think we'll ever abandon Hook Champ. We plan to do a content update (new levelset, hats) whenever we release a new game. This will go on until we run out of map room. Even when we do run out of map room, we'll still support it with tweaks and small feature requests and so on.

The crossover attracted a surge of customers, but it died down.

17. tzual

tzual Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Include a Pizza Roll character or hat :)

18. Shumby

Shumby Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Kepa doesn't want to be FILTHY rich - just regular rich. That plan is far too lucrative. ;)

19. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    Who said they had that expectation? I know I'm always looking forward to new levels, especially the ice level set. However, I know that you can't whip those out in a matter of days.

20. zoo

zoo Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    In that case, my first small feature request is a pinch-zoomable map with room for unlimited expansion. :)