GameClub Hook Champ (by Rocketcat Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Slapshot, Oct 17, 2009.

1. SirDarkened

SirDarkened Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Ha srsly?
    Where do I live?
    A cool thing you can do on the gold furry is hook onto one of the rings above the platform and you will get stuck underneath it leaving huge particles everywhere, I even got stuck once!

2. zoo

zoo Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    They're not really easter eggs, or secrets, apart from the shop. I think Gunny even explains the purpose of the hanging skulls in one of the intro chatters, and it's pretty obvious that the stalactites indicate where there's a stash of gems/coins. If I'm not mistaken they weren't in the earlier versions, were they?

3. farley

farley Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    I have a question about this game, and I'm not sure if it's worth reading 339 pages to find out...

It's a real simple question and maybe even a dumb question for those who already know the game, but I don't know the game at all...

So my question is - is the aim of the game simply to get from point A to point B in the fastest time possible, moving mostly in one rightwards direction only, with things like the coins being merely bonus items?
    Or do you *have to* pick up some hidden items along the way?
    Even if I don't have to, would I be *missing anything* by exclusively focusing on getting from A-B as fast as I can?

I think I just need a quick 101 on the game. Thanks! :)

4. LunarKeys

LunarKeys Member

Feb 1, 2010
    This mostly depends on what you consider to be 'fun'.

If you're like most of the casual players who pick the game up because it sounds like fun, yes, the entire point of the game is to hook from the entrance of the level to the exit. Coins and gems DO provide one necessity; they let you upgrade your character. You need money in order to buy rocket boots (to save yourself from a bad jump and avoiding lava), hot pants (in case you don't get the rocket boots in time and need an emergency bounce out of the lava), loot vacuum (to make coin collecting easier), then upgrades to your hook and rope, etc, etc. However, they are not a requirement to finishing a level. (and you can always go back and fetch them again and again if that's to your liking) Also, coins and gems are easy to come by, and, with few exceptions, you do not need to go out of your way to go fetch them.

If you are competitive, the coins and gems are a necessity, as you will not be able to score well without picking every last one of them up. Thus, you find yourself taking new pathways and scouting them out, then setting up a particular path in order to get through the level as fast as possible while still picking up all of the loot along the way.

If you are a casual player, you're probably looking at 8-12 hours of entertainment, depending on how good you are. If you are more competitive, well...I'm still going at 40+ hours. =)

5. qpawn

qpawn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    California, USA
    Yeah, what LunarKeys said. :cool:

The levels move from left to right, point A to point B. You are free to swing back left if you wish. You don't have to pick up any of the coins/jewels (known as Loot) to pass any levels. Your total score for the level is based on Time and Loot.

Picking up the Loot will give you some spending money in a shop where you can purchase item upgrades to help you speed through the levels, helping you avoid the spooky Chaser that hunts you through the level. If you are too slow, the Chaser will eat you and spit out your bones. :eek:

6. farley

farley Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Thanks a stack for the detailed answers there. Highly appreciated! :)
    (I just didn't know if there were critical items like keys or whatever that you absolutely had to find and collect before you could exit the level.)

7. Twiddle

Twiddle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    #3387 Twiddle, Feb 16, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
    I can assure you 90% of people that play this game didn't know about these things I revealed. Therefore, it was a secret. :)

It's a bit far fetched to say that it's obvious. Maybe for someone that plays every level 50 times, but otherwise, I disagree.

8. Kosikutioner

Kosikutioner Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2009
    The stalactite things were new to me from this thread (although, I did see it earlier than your guide Twiddle... not a knock, just... ya) But yea, the skulls thing was explained by a character. I wouldn't exactly call them an 'easter egg' as I would... I'm not sure. They are just a way devs show you whats coming up. Like green lights above doors in Halo you are supposed to go in next, just little visual hints.

They are valuable though for sure.

9. Twiddle

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    You can do that on any map, as long as it has a corner you can bug. Infact, I emulated it just for you.

Attached Files:

10. qpawn

qpawn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    California, USA
    The only real Easter Egg is the shop in Golden Furry. The other "secrets" are really just helpful information. Good strategy guide material. :cool:

11. Twiddle

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    Yeah, actually, the guide would have been called "Hook Champ Tips and Secrets". In fact, that's what I planned it to be, not "Hook Champ Eastereggs", as I *think* that was the only one.

12. qpawn

qpawn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    California, USA
    Your Achievements Guide is well done and I'm sure a lot of recent purchasers of the game, as well as those who don't get around to playing as much as some of us, would benefit from a guide featuring tips and secrets. Some of the obvious things to the hardcore players might not be so obvious to the casual gamer. Good luck. :)

13. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Looks like the weekly leaderboards have been reset (appears to be happening every other week), so go get those crowns.

And I'll make sure to not submit scores to the weekly boards anymore.

14. dotBrain

dotBrain Active Member

Oct 21, 2009
    I have to wonder why there isn't a Pizza Roll Hat for Jake yet.

Jake's ultimate hook is actually an overcooked Pizza Roll that he throws out and stretches from some of the cheese stuck to his hand.

15. EvilAnimePanda

EvilAnimePanda Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Two things.
    1) Silver Hatbox is insane... it feels sadistic ._.
    2) After beating the minigore levels it said something about the pro controls being availabe but i cant find it? Suggestions anyone?

16. Bluellama1

Bluellama1 Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Student
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    Lol, that's awesome

17. zoo

zoo Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    I was going to do this too. Then I realized my scores weren't really good enough to make it necessary. :eek:

I really hope the new game, or at least a new HC levelset, are out soonish. I have no desire to play the Minigore levels, and knowing I'm unlikely to get better than 3rd on any level is somewhat demoralizing.

18. RaptorF35

RaptorF35 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Computer Technician
    On a Motherboard
    I agree, the minigore levels just aren't that fun....

Everyone is welcome to send me challenges
    OF username: RaptorF22

19. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    But you do post some pretty good scores when you play -- especially on the Bull levels.

I haven't even played HC the past two days. I know there are a bunch of levels I can improve on, but I don't have any motivation to play. I know how you feel about 3rd place. No matter what I do in my position, qpawn always outscores me, so that isn't motivating me at the moment. And without the challenge for qpawn, I'm sure he isn't playing as much. Ha!

I am enjoying Broken Sword at the moment. =)

20. Shumby

Shumby Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2009
    They're resetting the highscore table every so often. I got a crown! I fail at this game. I haven't even beaten all of forbidden hat yet. I'm not trying to say I'm any better or worse than you, but I'm pretty sure if you time it right and play your strongest level - you can get a crown too.