GameClub Hook Champ (by Rocketcat Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Slapshot, Oct 17, 2009.

1. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    #3341 mikeg123, Feb 15, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
    I think I can at least answer this one. Xcode itself isn't a programming language. It is the Integrated Development Environment (IDE) that is used to input your source code, compile it, debug, and run it through the simulator.

So you will want to learn Objective-C, and you will probably want to add Cocoa Touch to that list, as that is essentially the GUI framework that you will probably be using quite a bit. I don't think it is necessary to learn C++ first, though the object-oriented concepts will help in your learning of Objective-C.

I also can't remember if I have seen developers write their apps in C++, but Objective-C seems to be the standard.

I would assume that you will at least need a moderate understanding of Objective-C and Cocoa Touch to write an app.

Of course there is the whole graphics programming side of things which is another beast to learn.

The books I got are: Beginning iPhone 3 Development (this appeared to be somewhat of the Bible of learning iPhone development),and Learn Objective-C on the Mac.

2. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    #3342 Kepa, Feb 15, 2010
    Twiddle: Totally not going to help you at all with coding. I don't have that kind of time. You could ask me questions about game design in this thread, I wouldn't mind talking about that whenever I have a spare moment.

Hearing the opinions on Pro Controls. We might try to squeeze that into the upcoming update 5... we'd just call it Inverted. We're going to use the sequel to revamp the controls from the ground up, though we might have a Hook Champ controls mode option as a transitional thing. Any games after that would just ditch those controls, though.

I was pleased with how the Minigore set came out. I designed it so you can swing through at full speeds while taking no damage, if you time it and angle yourself just right. The shooting also came out pretty well, considering that the game wasn't designed for that kind of thing at all. However, a lot of tweaks and changes would have to be made to make a proper Bionic Commando style game. The most obvious being a huge reduction in swinging travel speeds. It's something we'll revisit in a future game. It won't become the de facto gameplay style of future levels.

I'm pretty much going to move all important announcements/revelations to the Twitter feed and use this thread for general discussion purposes. I've started to really like Twitter for news update purposes. Mostly because of how easy it is to look up information on there, if you're careful to not just list what you ate today as news. (Spoilers: I ate Deluxe Special Pizza Rolls carved into heart symbols)

People keep suggesting a Pocket God crossover. I have no idea if the Pocket God guys are Hook Champ fans or not. I'm also trying to envision how that would work. Maybe you could run from a giant finger that shoots lightning bolts and fireballs at your grass-skirted pygmy character.

3. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I don't think I've ever seen an announcement on Twitter. There's so many people talking at once it just passes me by... then someone points it out on the forum and I see it ;)

4. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Woohoo! Congrats, guys!

5. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    The twitter account for rocketcatgames is pretty much chatter free. Each post has something relevant.

6. sandy79

sandy79 Member

Feb 15, 2010
    i have heard so much about this game. downloading now.

7. Twiddle

Twiddle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    Oh okay, thanks for the information. Wait, so Xcode is a program that helps with using Objective-C and Cocoa Touch when developing iPhone Apps? So, does the mean Objective-C is the primary language used in Xcode, or Cocoa Touch?

I'm sorry, I'm not very good with the coding languages. To be completely honest, I had to look up IDE on Wikipedia just to understand what the third sentence meant. I still don't think I understand what it means. :rolleyes:

I heard about that iPhone Development book, and I plan on getting it later on. I actually had a C++ book for dummies just sitting around, so I was curious if I should pick it up and read it, but since it's 800 pages long, and doesn't seem significant for iPhone development, I'll just skip on that.

Like I said, I haven't even touched any computer languages. The closest I have ever gotten to learning a computer language was reading an article online about HTML coding, which I've already forgotten.

I promise I'm a fast learner, though! :D

8. Lil_Harv

Lil_Harv Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Los Angeles
    "I'm pretty much going to move all important announcements/revelations to the Twitter feed and use this thread for general discussion purposes. I've started to really like Twitter for news update purposes. Mostly because of how easy it is to look up information on there, if you're careful to not just list what you ate today as news."

I would make sure you keep yourself alive on this thread though, I think having you on here for feedback is what sets you apart from some of the other developers. You have done a great job of listening to your fans, and the result is a game that people feel really connect to. Twitter is cold, and not personal. I think it's good for you to do that, but don't leave us alone on this thread!

9. Twiddle

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    I second that 100 times, because this is my 200th post.

10. Lil_Harv

Lil_Harv Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Twiddle, I just checked out your achievement guide, nice work! I love it!

11. Yohanetsu

Yohanetsu Member

Oct 21, 2009
    #3351 Yohanetsu, Feb 15, 2010
    And about that... What are the new ones (besides beating the new levels)? Kepa, stop with secret achievments! :p

12. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Kill big monsters, kill little monsters, complete the new levelset. That's it. We're actually running out of achievement points space... if we can't request more, we're going to have to really skimp on them.

13. deeetour

deeetour Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2010
    #3353 deeetour, Feb 15, 2010
    Some tips for Twitter for people who are new to it or find themselves to be missing stuff they want to not miss instead;

1. Get a desktop / iPhone client. I use TweetDeck on my iMac and Tweetie on my iPhone. TweetDeck is really nice because you can set up a column just for @Rocketcatgames and you'll never miss a tweet:

[​IMG]

2. Twitter is only as cold as you make it. I've had one on one discussions with some of my biggest inspirations and heroes on twitter, and had people respond to my tweets with some really helpful, insightful things. Reach out, and you'll see the benefits pretty quickly.

Twitter is the best thing to happen to the internet since filesharing. It's IDEAsharing!

14. Twiddle

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    Hey, thanks! I have to update my achievements guide, but to be honest, I've only gotten 1 of the 3 new achievements. The other 2 are from killing a lot of those monsters? Do I have to kill a certain amount of monsters in a given time, or in total?

15. jar0d

jar0d Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Europe
    It took me about 10 minutes to get all the 3 new achievements... Just play it again (and again) you you'll be fine ;)

16. Bluellama1

Bluellama1 Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Student
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    20 big in a single level
    100 small in total
    complete the minigore levels

17. Twiddle

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    Hey, thanks. Sad part is that with these new achievements, I got over my 1337 score I had, literally.

Attached Files:

18. Bluellama1

Bluellama1 Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Student
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    That's awesome

19. Twiddle

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    #3359 Twiddle, Feb 15, 2010
    Okay, guys! My achievements guide has been updated with the Minigore levelset! Check out the link in my signature! :D

And please don't be scared to post feedback in that thread! I'll gladly answer any relevant questions.

Kepa, when are you going to provide a link to the guide on the blog?

20. deeetour

deeetour Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2010
    When he gets time.