GameClub Hook Champ (by Rocketcat Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Slapshot, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Morenar

Morenar Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Thanks for keeping 3rd warm for me :cool:

2. miklamagic

miklamagic Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2010
    No problem! But you might want to reckeck the leaderboards... ;)

3. jhill151

jhill151 New Member

Jun 5, 2009
    I'm all for this being fixed to..this is how I played as well and thought it was weird that by going to classic controls it didnt really switch to the controls I was used to. Please implement a 3rd control scheme or make the classic controls actually be the classic controls.

4. Twiddle

Twiddle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    Hey, Kepa, when's then next time you have some free time to answer a few questions regarding game development and coding?

5. Yohanetsu

Yohanetsu Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Yo peeps!

Just finished gold furry level. Not really happy with the new levels, not bad per say... but not my cup of tea. I didn't really think the shooting added anything, just annoying. Still nice to see some new shit going in even if it isn't super. Looking forward to new game and new updates :D

Anyway, I got the achievment for beating the new level set but still got 2 secret achievments (new ones)... anyone know what they are? Secret achievments for the lose.

6. zoo

zoo Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Of all the things to complain about, I'm surprised people have picked the menu and interface. I'm glad a few people share my opinion on the Minigore levels, I thought I was the only one. The shooting ability doesn't add anything to the gameplay - in fact, it detracts from it. Running along holding down the shoot button isn't fun, it's distracting. The only consolation is that hopefully this crossover will make Rocketcat disgustingly rich. Also, it's funny to see the few pro control devotees come out of the woodwork, you guys seriously need to use the regular controls and accept that they're better. And I used italics, so you know I'm serious.

7. RJ

RJ Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    California
    Still trying to beat the Gold Furry after it crashed before i beat it...and this cool thing just happened. I was holding down the shoot button, and tapping to hook with another, and when i let go of the shoot button, it kept shooting without me tapping it. :D

8. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Why not post the question(s) here? I don't know about anyone else, but I'm all for hearing a discussion about coding.

9. Twiddle

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    zoo, I personally am satisfied with the gameplay. My one suggestion toward the gameplay was to add an auto-firing feature, which would solve your complaint, I believe. As I said before, I am ,for the most part, satisfied with the new levelset. the main screen just doesn't look right.

I'm not quite sure I want to do that. If anyone here has any experience in iPhone game coding, then I will glady post my questions.

10. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    I was thinking more from the standpoint that Kepa would see your questions here, and could answer them, as opposed to some random person that may know. I'm just curious myself as I have dabbled in a small amount of iPhone coding, but I couldn't even come close to answering questions (I'm a Linux and C programmer by day).

But whatever you want to do.

11. zoo

zoo Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    I wouldn't mind an auto-fire option personally, but I think it'd detract from the whole idea of a Minigore crossover. Minigore is all about shooting fuzzies (or whatever they're called), if you're not even in control of shooting then the Minigore set is just an extremely rudimentary Hook Champ levelset, with the minor irritation of furries.

Once I've set a few half-decent times on the levels for the sake of my OF points, I think I'll forget about them and await the (hopefully disgracefully difficult) ice levels. :cool:

12. Kosikutioner

Kosikutioner Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2009
    I'm liking that you still allow a minimalist UI as an option. Do you think that could be possible in the future with your new game as well?

13. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    I feel the same way about the new levels. I might try and improve my Silver and Gold Furry scores, but that will be it. I'm an anxiously awaiting the ice levels, too!

14. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    well having third place on monkey and whimpy levels feels like first place, because mikeg and qpawn are on another level of competition :eek:

15. zoo

zoo Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    mike, you said you can code. I can do pixel art.

Are you thinking what I'm thinking? Hook Champ clone full of nothing but insanely difficult levels requiring pixel perfect hooking. Then we'll find whichever game has the TA thread with the most posts in it, do a crossover with said game, and call it Grappling Supremo. :eek:

16. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    That would be a lot of fun. How about a Pocket God Champ crossover? Ha!

Now if I could just find the time to read my iPhone development book, and learn Objective-C, I might get somewhere.

17. nightbeaver

nightbeaver Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    i tried to get used to them but the game just didnt seem as fun. i would like to be able to use pro controls again but i know im in the minority. so if the people at rocketcat feel like they shouldnt put them back in becuase there are not enough people that use them then i understand. hook champ is still a great game and rocketcat are some great developers. though i might start to play this game less i still look forward to seeing more rocketcat games in the future.

18. zoo

zoo Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Pocket God would be perfect. When you're finished Hook Champing, you could pass your iDevice to your girlfriend/wife/sister/mentally challenged neighbor, and they could spend hours aimlessly flicking Jake and Gunny into the lava and dropping fish on them. This idea = $$$

19. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    Sounds like we have a cash cow on our hands! I can already see the bottles of Cristal bursting open, and the fleet of luxury cars I'll be driving. :D

Err, wait...

20. Twiddle

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    #3340 Twiddle, Feb 14, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
    Alrighty then, here's the questions:

What languages do I need to learn?

I know I will have to learn Xcode, and also a little bit of Objective-C. But what about C++? And which language should I start learning first? If I learn C++ will that help me to learn Objective-C? Would it be easier to learn Objective-C first, or Xcode?

Also, how well will I have to know each of these languages, from minimal, moderate, or advanced?

And, which programs would be could for creating a rougelike with 8-bit to 16-bit graphics? 10mb download at most. Unity seems to always produce games over the 10mb limit.