GameClub Hook Champ (by Rocketcat Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Slapshot, Oct 17, 2009.

1. qpawn

qpawn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    California, USA
    #3301 qpawn, Feb 14, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
    I only mess up on the rings if I manage to get through the blocks ahead of my ghost. :p

Edit: I just had to keep playing. I finally managed to get through the blocks at a decent rate and regain the number one spot. There's still room for improvement. :cool:

2. Kosikutioner

Kosikutioner Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2009

I gotta say this. Please be careful with the UI! I love Hook Champ and it's simplicity. I love the way the game mostly solves the (in my mind) problem the iPhone has with platformers. Big buttons on the screen are nasty and interfere. Hook Champ is basically free of that, the shotgun and boots being the exception, but somehow getting away with it.

Games like Soosiz or whatever just turned me off because of their controls.

I trust you guys, and think you know what you are doing. But be careful! :p

EDIT : That being said, I'm totally buying your next game regardless. So feel free to ignore me.​

3. Twiddle

Twiddle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    Hey guys, I appear to be missing a bunch of loot in The Bronze Rat. I got a nice time of 2:03, but I only got 6054 points. It appears that everyone else is getting around 8000 points at that time. I believe I got 50 loot in total in my last run. What am I missing?

4. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Are you getting the loot towards the beginning? There is one breakable block that you need to stand on. Fall down and I think there is a gem and coins.

I hope that is Bronze Rat - I'm trying to remember from memory.

5. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    Do you run against your actual ghost or the simple ghost?

Funny thing is that I rarely use the ghost. I always screw up - even with simple. That said, the simple ghost did help me set my Silver Hat best.

6. qpawn

qpawn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    California, USA
    Simple line. The regular ghost confuses and scares me. And I swear it's flipping me off half the time. :rolleyes:

7. LunarKeys

LunarKeys Member

Feb 1, 2010
    There is 68 loot total, from a quick test run I just did. (With a terrible result score of 73xx, but oh well). Most likely, you are missing the early loot. The very first batch you can pick up is the single breakable block mikeg pointed out. Then there's the more obvious second batch. For the third, you know the section where you bounce up from the springboards? Backtrack a bit and you will find a side area with another set of nine loot.

Otherwise, most of the loot is easily found (either very high or very low).

Good luck!

8. SirDarkened

SirDarkened Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Ha srsly?
    Where do I live?
    What do the regular and simple ghosts do I dont use either

9. LunarKeys

LunarKeys Member

Feb 1, 2010
    The regular ghost shows a ghostly version of your character swinging through the level. It can be pretty distracting, but it's also a good way to show exactly where you messed up and what you can improve on.

The simple ghost is just a vertical gray line that runs through the screen, showing how far the ghost has gotten.

10. SirDarkened

Dec 20, 2009
    Ha srsly?
    Where do I live?
  11. RJ

RJ Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    California
    It shows your best run on that map, and it plays through exactly as you did before. You usually want to beat it for a higher score.

Regular ghost shows your actual character, like John Gore, or Jake.

The simple ghost is simply a vertical line that scrolls across the map, which is still your best time.

12. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    Nice! I knew that wouldn't take you long. And now I can rest easy knowing that you have completely dominated me, again. :rolleyes:

If the challenge system ever gets the revamp Kepa wants to make, we should get a challenge going between the two of us. Then we can screw up like pros!

13. SirDarkened

Dec 20, 2009
    Ha srsly?
    Where do I live?
    I wish I was a pro, best I've gotten was #10 on OF.

I don't have much time for hook champ or godly skill.

14. qpawn

qpawn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    California, USA
    It's tragic how my challenge scores are much lower than my real speed runs because I play it safe. It works against most of the challenges I get sent to me. Half the time I swing along with the other person's ghost just for the company. I've lost many challenges doing that. :rolleyes:

15. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    We got rid of pro controls because users of it are in a tiny minority. Also, we're running out of room on the options screen without redoing the options screen to be scrollable or have sections. We might put it back in later, since there seems to be demand for it. Inverse is a good name for it.

We liked the UI too, but it ends up confusing a lot of people. People demand big huge walk buttons, basically. When I said there would be an option to make the big buttons tiny, I'm meaning really tiny. As close to making the UI invisible (as an option) as we can, except with small guidelines to act as visual cues.

16. nightbeaver

nightbeaver Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    please put back pro controls i really am starting to dislike this game and it was one of favorites before. maybe you should make UI options separate and place a userinterface options button above the clear all data button in settings. then you can put other options in there too. like transparency control slider and a resize buttons slider. i know im just one small nightbeaver and maybe not so important but i know this chick whos having a birthday soon, so do it for her. i mean cmon, its her birthday

17. qpawn

qpawn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    California, USA
    To all of those folks out there who maybe don't have this game yet or have never heard of the Pro controls... you're not missing anything. The control scheme had nothing to do with being more professional. It was an ancient setting that made the hooking controls inverted. In other words, instead of tapping to hook, you let go of the screen to hook. :rolleyes:

To all of those players that previously used Pro controls, have no fear, I'm sure they'll be back in a future update under a different name. Still, I highly recommend learning the current controls. I find them very intuitive for both casual play and speed running. :cool:

18. clintmeyer

clintmeyer New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Qpawn is a scrub, he is casual through and through.

Pro mode FTW!!!!!!!

It is not intuitive but i find it more responsive. Think about it this way guys, pressing is slightly slower than releasing. I would rather have it be faster when I throw than when I release. Also I can easily hit the boots/shotgun with my left thumb so I have never once ran into trouble hooking when i want to rocket jump.

Can you make it a 3x toggle so it goes, Casual-->Simple-->Pro

19. qpawn

qpawn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    California, USA
    It won't be called Pro. More likely Inverse or Inverted, as using it doesn't equate to being Professional. Unless, of course, the Pro is short for Productive... because of all the extra work you do. :rolleyes:

Call me casual or lazy, but I like to use one finger when I play. (that's what she said) :cool:

Tap to fire the hook, hold to keep holding the rope, let go to let go of the rope. Intuitive.

20. Twiddle

Twiddle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    I'm with you there. Casual controls are the best.

I don't see any reason to bring the old controls back, they've already caused enough trouble. Just get used to the Simple and Classic controls, they're WAY better than the Pro. I know I used to use Pro until Kepa said casual was better. It took me an hour, but I got used to the classic controls and I haven't regretted it since.