GameClub Hook Champ (by Rocketcat Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Slapshot, Oct 17, 2009.

1. qpawn

qpawn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    California, USA
    I don't see anything wrong with the menu. The Twitter button is separate from the game options as it should be. I mean, it's not hard to figure out how to access the game features from there. It comes down to design taste. Ask anybody's grandma how to start the game and the old hag would be on the Global Leaderboard in no time. :rolleyes:

2. Twiddle

Twiddle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    Ha, well Kepa expressed how it wouldn't be difficult to switch around. I just miss the old menu screen. :(

3. Twiddle

Twiddle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    You know one other thing I would love in the next update? A count down.

3!
    2!
    1!
    GOOOO!

4. SirDarkened

SirDarkened Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Ha srsly?
    Where do I live?
    I see what you mean, but the old one was there since I bought the game 1.2
    and it feels so odd now, its the factor of getting used to something and now its gone.

5. qpawn

qpawn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    California, USA
    You'll adapt. :cool:

6. SirDarkened

Dec 20, 2009
    Ha srsly?
    Where do I live?
    Only deranged animals adapt.

7. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    ...and go on to survive.

8. SirDarkened

Dec 20, 2009
    Ha srsly?
    Where do I live?
    I do the job without any beta needed ;).

9. poutini

poutini Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Student
    Calgary
    Kepa - making the left gun shoot to the left and the right gun shoot to the right would really benefit this update, IMHO. Also new outfits for Gore. I need somewhere to spend my extra coins - I've already bought all the hats. :)

Keep in mind though - I love this update. It's fresh, fun and exciting - but there's always room for improvements, right?

10. Zoot!

Zoot! Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Is anyone else finding that John Gore's hooking is a little strange? I'm not sure why but every once in awhile while I'm in mid-air, I'll speed down extremely fast and hit the ground. Because of this, hooking onto the little silver rings in the Gold Fuzzy is really difficult, because the game will cause my hook to be late :(

Aside from that (lag?) issue, I would love to see Gore with his own special hook or a weapon upgrade to bust through the Fuzzies and blocks faster.

11. Kosikutioner

Kosikutioner Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Been playing the new levels. They're decent. They aren't as good as Hook Champ proper... buttttt... did we expect them to be? Hook Champ is one of my favorite games, if not the favorite, on my iPhone, and a game that sticks out above even some full retail games I've played. To change the mechanics significantly, did any one of us really expect it to be an improvement?

I was looking forward to them for the novelty, but not much else.

Thanks for the content Kepa, it's provided a few more hours of play out of your great game.

12. poutini

poutini Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Student
    Calgary
    YES.

So here's my Gore update wishlist so far -

1. L/R gun buttons shoot to the left and right, regardless of which direction you face
    2. Hook & Weapon upgrades for Gore
    3. Hat upgrades for Gore - but have different hats for top layer and bottom layers - so some hats only appear after he's been hit once.

I can dream, can't I? Thanks for the update Kepa.

13. SirDarkened

Dec 20, 2009
    Ha srsly?
    Where do I live?
    Dunno, it might be illegal... gotta look that one up.

14. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    We're pretty much done with the Gore levelset/character. He was a crossover/experiment in shooting mechanics. Next update will have a more traditional Hook Champ level, with a small gimmick.

If we were able to, we'd make the shooting controls as follows.
    [ShootLeft][ShootRight] [Pause] [Walk Left][Walk Right]

There are engine limitations that prevented us from doing this in Hook Champ. For the next game, we'll probably make the default controls like the above, with the look of the Simple Controls. That is...
    [Special] [Pause]

As an attempt to wean people off the Hook Champ controls slowly. The above lends itself much better to games with attacking/action. We'd additionally make a Pro UI option have super tiny buttons, with just those tiny guidelines to serve as a visual guide.​

15. miklamagic

miklamagic Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2010
    My highscores for the Gold and Silver Furries aren't being posted to the Openfeint leaderboards. If they did, I'd be #3 on the grand total scores again. When I beat them wasn't connected to wifi, so do I just have to beat them again?

16. SirDarkened

Dec 20, 2009
    Ha srsly?
    Where do I live?
    Yes, you have the beat them again with wifi connected.

17. miklamagic

miklamagic Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Noooooooooooo! The Gold Furry is harder than all the Forbidden Hats combined!

18. Vester

Vester Well-Known Member

Lol no it isn't.... Just walk the whole time

19. SirDarkened

Dec 20, 2009
    Ha srsly?
    Where do I live?
    Agreed, I got rank 14 from walking through the whole level I got all the gems and coins though.

20. LunarKeys

LunarKeys Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Yeah, I went back through today and found it was possible (though difficult). Looks like I just have to get through the entire first and last section without making a mistake. Thanks!

(Still not gonna go back and try Gold Furry again. One completion was quite enough)

Haha! Gunstar Heroes really was one of the best things about owning a Genesis back in the day. Come to think of it, I ought to go boot it back up and play another few dozen rounds...