GameClub Hook Champ (by Rocketcat Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Slapshot, Oct 17, 2009.

1. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    I guess my main gripe about this update is the fact that there aren't any upgrades for John.

2. qpawn

qpawn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    California, USA
    I think he could use another outfit in the future. It'd be nice to switch up his look like you can with the other peeps. As for item upgrades, I'm against anything like rocket boots, as they'd take away the speed running challenge, but I'm all for a weapon upgrade. I'd give all my loot for auto-fire... :cool:

3. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Yea that's what I thought, I was surprised to see he didn't have his own hat set and weapon upgrades. Ah well..Maybe a future update..

4. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    In Minigore levels, if you lock the screen while shooting, John Gore will keep shooting continuously without the need of holding the fire button.

5. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Control Schemes

App Store listing says there are two control schemes. How do iswitch control schemes? I didn't see anything in Options that looked like it would alter the controls.

6. qpawn

qpawn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    California, USA
    Settings->UI Display... Classic and Simple are your options.

7. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    #3247 mikeg123, Feb 13, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
    Nice job! I got through Gold once, and called it good. I have a lot of room for improvement on Silver and Gold. I won't get a chance to play probably until later this evening. Once I can improv my scores a bit more, that will be it for me playing these levels. Silver drives me crazy, and not in a good way. =)

EDIT: oops, this was in response to omgsars. I forgot to include his message in my reply here.

8. Elliohow

Elliohow Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    May i ask, what does speed fix do?

9. qpawn

qpawn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    California, USA
    I like to make up my scores as I go along too. Sometimes I'll even take suggestions from the audience. :cool:

10. miklamagic

miklamagic Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2010
    No! I'm at #10 grand total score! I won't be able to download the update until tonight. :mad: I'm going to take back #3!

11. writingsama

writingsama Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    I am officially in love with you, sir. They who said we had nothing in common were wrong. Gunstar Heroes is a bond stronger than 'Nam.

12. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Thank you. What's the difference? I tried both.

13. qpawn

qpawn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    California, USA
    Simple adds left and right arrows to show you where to touch to walk and the buttons are borderless. Classic is just two buttons, each with a thin white border (the previous default). I prefer the latter.

14. Elliohow

Elliohow Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    What does speed fix do?

15. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Thank you :)

16. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Is thee a way to turn off the chasing ghost? I heard there was dlc to turn him off but can't find it.

May want to add an instructions page in the game or at least a web page with instructions and include a link or the web address In the game.

17. qpawn

qpawn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    California, USA
    #3257 qpawn, Feb 13, 2010
    Hookbot has no chaser and can purchase a special item from the shop to make himself immune to lava. There's also a handy item to make breaking through blocks a piece of cake. He doesn't get a shotgun, however, but his rocket boots can recharge after a few seconds. He's available on the map screen at the bottom. Third from the left.

Edit: Not to mention a variety of his very own hats!!! :D

18. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Thank you :). What does speed fix do? Last question I promise :)

19. qpawn

qpawn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    California, USA
    Somebody else might have a more detailed answer. All I know is that some people were having some lag issues and the fix makes the game run better. I have it off on my iPhone 3GS⃣. Whatever works best for you I guess.

20. Twiddle

Twiddle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    #3260 Twiddle, Feb 13, 2010
    Possibly as qpawn was suggesting, an alternative outfit would be nice, but I don't see any reason for an extensive hat selling option, as:

#1 He would lose it after he got hit once.

#2 He only has one levelset.
    I think maybe a special hook devoted just to him could be an option, though.

I've been hearing some complaints about the main menu screen, and hopefully Kepa will include a clean main menu screen in the next update.

I also noticed a few people complaining about the new levelset, because it was unsure of itself, as if it was Bionic Commando, or Hook Champ. This levelset were partly an experiment to see how Bionic Commando like gameplay would work in a game like this. It would be much smoother in a completely new game, as this levelset was limited due to the scripting. Believe me, Kepa could make a very nice Bionic Commando levelset, if it wasn't limited due to this script. Nonetheless, I think he did a excellent job, and the difference between the first beta build and the release was a drastic improvement. I think that one thing that could get this levelset feeling a bit more like Hook Champ, and less like Bionic Commando limited, would be an auto-firing feature. Many people have already complained about how it's difficult to hook and hold down the firing button at the same time. I understand that it might feel like the levelset was too easy or automated, but come on, this is Hook Champ, not Bionic Commando limited.

EDIT: I am also a fan of Contra, actually a large fan. I think it would be a good idea to implement Contra shooting features into the next Bionic Commando like game created. If you think about it, Contra is very similar to this levelset, as moving right is the only option, and the main gun is very similar to that of Contras.