GameClub Hook Champ (by Rocketcat Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Slapshot, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    I can't believe how quick this update came through. Apple must know how much we are in love with HC. Just polished off a plate of pizza rolls while the update dl'ed, going to jump in and check it out now. :D Thanks RC!

2. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    #3222 mikeg123, Feb 13, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
    I managed to get #1 on all but Silver Furry (nice score, Twiddle). I found Silver to be the most difficult to me. I see qpawn already has OF #1 on Stone and Bronze. I'm sure he'll have the other two within the hour. I play the be levels a little more, but I don't see myself investing as much time as I normally have on the other levels. Maybe just enough to maintain my #2 spot.

EDIT: I see qpawn is #2 on Silver and #14 on Gold. Ha! I know that won't last, but it is good to see he is a mere mortal.

3. qpawn

qpawn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    California, USA
    I died. :eek: If you wanna see how mortal I am, watch me try a challenge. Not pretty. :rolleyes:

4. SirDarkened

SirDarkened Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Ha srsly?
    Where do I live?
    Update 4 is great with the new levels, but no hats for John Gore? No big deal.

What about a special hook though, that's possible...

Another small issue is there are no longer pro controls so that hat I unlocked way back is now impossible to get?

Last gripe is the main menu, why did you make it so inconvient the old screen was perfect. Obviously you guys did it to promote your twitter page, but I hope to see it put back to normal with the twitter button in the top right or top left corners. This new main menu is not as user friendly as the old one as really it doesn't have that clean feel anymore. Dunno I miss the old main menu. Hope its not just me.

5. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    Yeah, I saw you got #1 On Gold as soon as I went back. I definitely have lots of improvement I can make on that one. The set of rings to climb up drives me crazy.

I know what you mean by the challenges. ;-)

6. qpawn

qpawn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    California, USA
    I just played through to defend my Grand Total. *I got number one on a few, but they're beatable. *I'll go for a high quality speed run later. *I can only assume it's between me and you, tiger. :cool:

7. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    I can probably squeeze a bit more out of Stone and Bronze, but I feel like I had solid runs (and your already beating me on a pass through). The big improvements will come on Silver and Gold.

I'm at 7% battery power now, so it won't happen tonight.

8. omgsars

omgsars Member

Jan 28, 2010
    not sure if i'm the only one that will complain about this, but i'm guessing I will be...

i have made a habit of hooking/tapping on the lower right hand corner ofthe screen. my thumb crowded the upper right part of the screen and since that's obviously where the hook is going, it's the most important visual part of the screen. it kinda screwed me up if i eer happened to hit the ground and walk, but since the point of the game is to be *off* the ground, the last thing any of us should be doing is walking. is there any way we can go back to "if you're in the air no matter where you tap, you'll hook"? pleeeease?

9. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Ack. I didn't even think to try that--just assumed the one on the left fired to the left, etc.

Sorry for that, and nice job on the update.

10. 5duc29

5duc29 Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Hi,
    which hook is better to use? The Cursed Hook or the Grapplin' Cannon?

Silver on Minigore is hard. And I need to beat Gold Skull :)

11. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    You should be able to get that pro controls hat by using the Classic controls UI.

What you suggest was actually suggested in the beta. We did it this way to get opinions on it, but it would be pretty easy to change it to be the other way.

The hooks are the same, it's that the Cursed Hook is Jake's and the Cannon is Gunny's. We keep forgetting to make this more clear in the shop.

12. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    We changed it because new people got confused by it... we should have made it a setting or something. That or made Classic controls be that way. We might revert it, actually... it's hard to say.

13. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    I hate to come in here and say this, but I don't really like the Minigore stuff. Aesthetically, it's great. I like the 8 bit John Gore and Furries, but I really don't like the shooting mechanic. It doesn't feel like it adds anything. I just keep the shoot button held down, and play the levels like normal. I don't feel like I have to strategically shoot at anything. And getting hit 3(?) times is aggrevating too. I'm about 80% thru Silver and can't for the life of me not get hit too many times to die. It's not the first time I've got stuck in a level, but rather than being excited to figure out how to beat it I just want to get it over with and be done with it. Maybe it's just me. As a diehard Bionic Commando fan, I don't feel like the speed oriented hooking in HC matches well with the shooting.

The levels themselves are nicely designed, I'd love to be able to play them with different characters and no Furries just for fun. I did get the #2 OF score for Stone (damn you qpawn) but that's mainly because you can get through Stone without bothering to shoot at all. I'll keep at it, and maybe it will grow on me, but right now I'm just not a fan of the shooting thing. Sorry. :(

14. omgsars

omgsars Member

Jan 28, 2010
    would be great if you could make it part of the classic controls. actually switched it hoping that might be the case.

15. 5duc29

5duc29 Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Thanks. Now I need another 3000 for the Grapplin' Cannon.

And thanks for the update. The Minigore level set is the best. It's hard but fun, especially if you run and gun the whole time rather than hook and fly ;)

16. omgsars

omgsars Member

Jan 28, 2010
    mikeg, the levels have been out for maybe three hours but i'm happy to say i actually bested your gold furry score. qpawn, not so much...and i'm sure you'll surpass me soon enough but that level is the bane of my existence.

17. LunarKeys

LunarKeys Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with BOARDUMB here. I won't deny that the Minigore levels are well-designed and fun to play, but gamer schizophrenia sets in starting around Silver. I can just waltz through Stone and Bronze quite easily and ignore the furries entirely, taking maybe a hit or two along the way...but Silver and Gold want me to play two different games at the same time. On one hand, the speedrunner in me wants to get through the level as quickly as possible while ignoring or dodging obstacles, but the furries falling from the ceiling make that impossible. (Well, either that or my timing for getting out of their way is poor; I've only had a few hours with the levels). On the other, I've got a friggin' machine gun. This makes me want to play the game like Gunstar Heroes or Contra, which is great for once or twice through, but terrible for getting any actual scores. (And really, if I wanted to play classic shooter stuff, then I'd go play...well, Gunstar Heroes. Or Contra.)

Don't get me wrong, the levels are great, and I'm gonna go play them some more right after I hit the 'Submit Reply' button. It just kinda feels like I'm trying to play two games at the same time, and my brain's a little too small to be able to do that. But hey, I'm having fun speedrunning the first two levels. (And I'll admit, blasting the same blocks in Silver/Gold Furry that haunted me in Silver Skull and some of the Frog levels is incredibly fun) But yeah, it feels like the furries are more of an aggravation than a fun new opponent.

Irregardless, thanks for the effort, and I'll still support Hook Champ. =)

18. qpawn

qpawn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    California, USA
    There's still a lot more points to be had on Silver and Gold Furry. As for the first two, I think there's maybe a couple points to be had. :cool:

I haven't given the last two levels much time because my hands are never in a comfortable playing position to hold on the firing button for so long. :p

19. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Not sure I like the cluttered interface. Helpful, but ugly! Anyone else?

20. qpawn

qpawn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    California, USA
    It's possible to make it through Silver Furry without getting it. Of course, it's not easy. It's all timing. I tend to take just take the two hits I'm allowed. :cool:
    I switched to Classic in Settings->UI Display.
    I find the new menu much more conducive to the way I hold my device. I tap with my right index finger, so the important buttons no longer require a huge reach across the giant screen. :rolleyes: