GameClub Hook Champ (by Rocketcat Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Slapshot, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Bluellama1

Bluellama1 Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Student
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    @Kepa:
    Of you were to put it on XBLA please put it on PSN also! I would love to buy Hook Champ for consoles but at this point it would be hard for me to purchase it on XBLA (because I haven't gotten my Xbox online) but on PSN I could purchase it within 0.3 seconds of it's release.

2. AgentOrange

AgentOrange Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    I would love to see this on XBLA too, I would love to play this with a regular controller.

3. miklamagic

miklamagic Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2010
    I just moved to #4 in grand total scores!

4. jar0d

jar0d Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Europe
    I am not sure about this. Don't get me wrong but I love the game the way it is and on the platform we can play it. Right now I cannot imagine to play this game without taping the screen... but of course, do what is more successful for you ;)

5. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    Kepa,
    sorry for bothering you but after i managed to improve scores on these levels - they got registered by OF. so everything is alright.

6. Morenar

Morenar Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Congrats! Omgsars was hunting my score for the longest time...finally went back to some of the earlier levels and had a field day widening the gap. You have a week to get 3rd before I take the time to play the game again, though. Bioshock 2 is eating my life ;) Congrats again, and good luck on the jump to 3rd.

7. Kosikutioner

Kosikutioner Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2009
    XBLA would rock. Face buttons all just do your hook. Triggers are rocket and shotgun. Perfect. Almost as simple as 'Splosion Man. (awesome game btw)

What do you mean by free game sites? On the internet proper you mean? Cause without flash on the iPhone, I don't know of any free games besides the, mostly, junk in the app store.

I like the no sales, or not MANY. Not knowing if a game will go on sale next week for FREE even totally stops me from buying stuff. I always hold off on EA cause they consistently drop prices within weeks. I think your guys ideas on pricing are pretty solid. Maybe there's a way to let the majority of people know that there won't be further sales though? I'm no marketting guy though, so no clue how that would work.

8. Grohl960

Grohl960 Active Member

Jul 1, 2009
    You guys are nuts. I've played gold monkey enough times to buy two of the 3000 coin hooks, and the highest I've ever gotten on the leaderboards was 9th :p . I must hook on!!

9. Chrono Gear

Chrono Gear Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Peoria, Arizona
    Am I the only person on the planet that doesn't care for Splosion Man? Boring.

10. Kosikutioner

Kosikutioner Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2009
    You can not like whatever you want, although I do find it strange you love Hook Champ but don't care for Splosion man. I wouldn't say they are the same, but they have the same idea of momentum and timing I think. Just different methods of achieving those. I just loved how fast you could get running in Splosion man, getting on a crazy run you didn't think you could do. That being said, the boss' were the worst boss fights I've seen in awhile.

11. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Lots of people thought Splosion Man was merely average.

12. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Qpawn, you finally topped all of my high scores by finishing me off on Silver and Golden Frog. I can officially say I'm done with competing for high scores for a while. I'll put up decent scores when the new levels come out, but I have zero motivation at the moment to continue playing the existing levels. It has been fun!

13. drunkhobo15

drunkhobo15 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Waiter
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I feel so loved qpawn added me as a friend.

14. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    Since you are a drunk hobo, probably living under a bridge, I'm sure qpawn wanted to make sure that there is still love for you, and that someone cares. It brings a tear to my eye. =)

15. Zoot!

Zoot! Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Finally #9 all-time global :D

Gaining on Guise heheh.

16. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Wow, those are hilarious. I might actually start looking at iTunes reviews just for entertainment purposes. Apple should implement a quick IQ test you have to take before you're allowed to post your review. And if you fail, it automatically deletes the game from your hard drive so that stupid people aren't allowed to play awesome games anymore.

I actually agree with your whole post, but this little part stuck out at me. I tend to think the same way, picking up a dollar game without putting much thought into it. But it sure adds up quick. I wonder if the people who spend days on end debating whether or not to spend $5 on a game have collectively put that much though process into their last five $1 game purchases (myself included).

17. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I don't think we'd do that. Actually, maybe we could do that for the RELEASE DAY EXCLUSIVE hats. Buy the game early, get the hats for free. Wait, and pay 10 dollars. With a DLC description that says YOU COULDA GOTTEN THIS FOR FREE.

I hope not! Let me know what you think of the game. Fresh perspectives are always good.

That's weird. OF scores should register when you go online, even if you're offline when you get them. If anyone else has this problem, we can investigate it, but it was possibly just a weird fluke.

We'll just make it clear about the EARLY ADOPTOR DISCOUNT WILL BE THE ONLY SALE EVER in the app store text itself. Plus word of mouth on this travels pretty far. And yeah, sales seem more damaging than they are helpful. Even if you snag a lot of extra purchases with a sale, seems like you're attracting people that will only buy your next game if it's on sale.

FreeAppaDay style sites are springing up everywhere.

Haven't seen Explosion Man. If we ported Hook Champ to a console, we'd add a ton of stuff so people got their money's worth. It'd basically be Hook Champ 2.

That's an interesting way to think about it. Maybe prices above a dollar are considered so high because people are blowing tons of money on bad $1 game purchases. It's a double edged sword, really. The low barrier for entry makes the app store both terrible and great. Hook Champ wouldn't exist without this low barrier for entry.

18. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009

Oh, snap. I'll have to put in some time on HC during this current snowpocalypse. Though with mikeg123 announcing his semi-retirement and qpawn obviously at least a cyborg, the global leaderboards have lost a little luster.

19. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    #3139 mikeg123, Feb 10, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
    I'm thinking of it more as a short break. :) Though I always seem to think or say that, and then I never really stop playing. But I think I've really gotten to a point on the current level sets that I can play for hours and days, and never break any of my local #1 scores.

I wouldn't let that stop you guys from competing on the boards. Regardless of whether I'm playing, I like to think that it will be awhile before anyone reaches #2. That would make things more interesting, as I'm basically competing with the cyborg at this point. :p I know I have no chance at #1, so I'm not even thinking about that. ;)

20. omgsars

omgsars Member

Jan 28, 2010
    for all his whining about this thread, eev simply missed the update; your hat scores didn't "register" because you didn't surprass your pre-3.5 update highs. if you read all the "worthless chatter" or whatever you called it, your couldve easily found your answer.

also, have people always updated the board as to their OF rank with such fervor? i'm #23! now i'm #22! just got #21!