GameClub Hook Champ (by Rocketcat Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Slapshot, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Chrono Gear

Chrono Gear Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Peoria, Arizona
    I was fortunate enough to get a code for a review (which is still up on my old site even though I'm moving on to a new site). I would gladly buy it if I could. I already bought both DLC characters and have convinced more than a few friends to pick it up and even pick up the DLC. I'm sure we will be getting codes from Kepa for review for future games but if we don't get them in advance or during the initial bonus hat period I'm definitely dropping whatever coin he asks for all future games. I have incredibly high hopes for the next game and I can't imagine them not being completely awesome. Check out my review on my old site still in my sig if you're really not sure about picking it up.

2. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    I bought it. Best purchase ever.

3. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    I just thought I'd say that this game has some of the best 8bit music ever. I whistle it whenever I open it up :p

4. Vester

Vester Well-Known Member

Lol. It is a pretty catchy tune huh

5. drunkhobo15

drunkhobo15 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Waiter
    Fort Worth, Texas
    My friend got his Iphone today and this was the first thing he bought because he loved playing it on my phone so much =D

P.S. Zoot! back off my #10 spot I want to take a break and play space miner

6. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Wow I can't believe I'm still #1 for G. Monkey.

7. Kosikutioner

Kosikutioner Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Problem with systems like the DS or PSP is licensing and if you are going physical media there are huge costs there. (not that this couldn't be a PSP mini or whatever its called) Not that you wouldn't make money, but that is largely why those games cost more.

But I do agree, Hook Champ is great value where it is. I think it would even be worth the $4.99 price point (although, the DLC sorta puts it there?). Personally, I don't love $9.99, simply because I often am not looking for a game that I sit down with for hours on my iPhone, I don't want GTA. (again, personal taste) So if you have to price your game at $10 because of the content in it... Maybe there's too much content? Heh...

I love the depth and replayability to Hook Champ, but I also love that I can pick it up and try 10 runs of Silver Hat (and fail) then just forget about it again. I'd drop $4.99 on it absolutely, if I knew what I was getting.

99 cents, I put LITTLE thought into it, but anything above will require probably a lite version to give a shot, a game I'm really hyped for, crazy reviews or trust in the developer.

8. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    I took care of that little problem for you!

9. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Youuuuu douchebag lol.

10. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Sorry, but I couldn't resist. Plus I haven't played that level for a long time.

11. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Gah you beat me by mere milliseconds lol.

12. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    Kepa
    thanks for the answer, OF scores are not being registered. Weekly scores are ok but in OF it still says not ranked even when i played these levels already many times.

13. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I haven't heard of that problem before... we'll look into it, though it's hard to pinpoint bugs if very few people are having the problem. Update 3.5 was a nightmare because of this, and that's with at least 10 people having the problem.

Reading the above, yeah, the app store pricing economy is really messed up. I'd actually love to port Hook Champ over to XBLA. It opens up a lot of possibilities. Detailed story, pixel art on a big screen TV, real-time multiplayer (I wouldn't do this for such a precise game on cellular), charging more than 3 dollars. What really scares me is the recent move over to free games sites. It's like many developers can't even sell their games for 99 cents anymore.

We plan to avoid the whole wacky pricing situation by just having most of our games be at least 3 dollars, never having random sales. We are going to do Early Adopter Bonus sorts of things, though. Some ideas are a discount for getting the game near release, and exclusive unlocks for getting the game VERY close to release. It's the main reason I've been trying to get more Twitter followers, so that people interested in our games won't miss these.

14. Chrono Gear

Chrono Gear Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Peoria, Arizona
    All I can suggest is hold firm and your fanbase will grow. HC is amazing and the fans are rabid. They will do the advertising for you, I know I have. There are a lot of devs that have good games but can't seem to make much headway in the ocean of apps, but the really good games seem to rise to the top and get noticed. There are people like me sniffing out the app store daily looking for cool games and when we find a gem we scream it from the rooftops.

15. deeetour

deeetour Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Also, Kepa, I think I mentioned this to you a few months ago on Twitter, but give us a PayPal donation link on your site. Or a $10 DLC hat (make it a lame hat so people don't get pissed or whatever) or something. I'd gladly drop more cash on you guys if I could, and I'm sure many more players would too.

16. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    Kepa
    thanks for answer. and about appstore, most of the games in appstore are really bad so no wonder why developers can not sell it. However your game is really little gem here, so next your game will be popular anyway just because it was developed by creators of hook champ for iphone.

17. jar0d

jar0d Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Europe
    I am kind of glad, that I missed the 0,99 cent sale when it first came out! It is such a great game. More than worth the 2,99$ and I am very happy that the devs got the money they want from me and I also bought both DLC! :)

18. miklamagic

miklamagic Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2010
    #3 on Forbidden Hat All-Stars!

19. Zemar

Zemar Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Denmark
    I have just purchased this game without trying the lite version. I can't wait to play the game. I took the chance with this one. But with all the great reviews and its reputation I cant' go wrong :)

20. miklamagic

miklamagic Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Watch out omgsars! I'm only 304 points off of your grand total!