GameClub Hook Champ (by Rocketcat Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Slapshot, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    *Logs in* :eek: You are a machine.

Does anybody else have a problem where it shows you have new challenges, but they aren't there in OF? Also, it doesn't show anything as far as my challenge history, when I have done plenty of challenges. I'd love to be able to go back and see how I did on them. Is this a bug or am I missing something?

2. drunkhobo15

drunkhobo15 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Waiter
    Fort Worth, Texas
    same thing is happening to me

3. qpawn

qpawn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    California, USA
    I play using one of the lovely ladies on most levels. I only used Jake on Golden Skull and Silver Hatbox. I used Hookbot for Bronze Hatbox and, sadly, now Silver Skull. I feel so dirty. :cool:

4. Vester

Vester Well-Known Member

Lol. One of the "lovely ladies." I just went on a total failbot run on the silver hat level. I can even fail with hookbot :) I'm a pro huh :)

5. drunkhobo15

Feb 5, 2010
    Waiter
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Even though I'm terrible, I'm in the top 10 now =D

6. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Interesting. I usually use Gunny on Stone Skull, but I tried with Jake and got my personal best. I still think I'm mssing something with the second open (spring) area. And I have always used all of Jake's rockets on Gold Rat. I don't think I've ever tried that level with Gunny. Hmm. Other than that I also only use Jake on Golden Skull and Silver Hat.

7. Twiddle

Twiddle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    How do you beat Silver Hatbox with Hookbot?

EDIT: OH wait, I read that wrong. Sorry it is Silver Skull. Haha.

8. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    He uses Jake for Silver Hat and Hookbot (now) for Silver Skull.

EDIT: ack, nm.

9. qpawn

qpawn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    California, USA
    I would have liked to have separate scoreboards for Jake, the ladies, and Hookbot for the fact that I rarely play as Jake. If he had his own scoreboard, it would give him a lot more replay value for speed running purposes.

I was worried when they announced a fancy shmancy DLC robot that he'd end up taking over the top scores from what I would consider more difficult, well-executed runs. Luckily, this wasn't the case. He only owns a few top scores on OF. Still, what took me a long time to do with one of the female hookers, took me twenty minutes to do with Hookbot. I waited until somebody topped me to finally finish a speed run with him. :rolleyes:

10. drunkhobo15

Feb 5, 2010
    Waiter
    Fort Worth, Texas
    your one of those guys who plays as a female character in WoW...I can see it now lol

11. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    I play mostly with Zelle, and Jake when I have to. I'd never really used Hookbot except for a couple times when I first bought him. But when you guys said he's best for Silver Skull I took a crack at it, and Hookbot is actually really fun. His block bursting gives him a different dynamic. Although I'm sure he's not ideal for most levels, I'll probably play as him more now just to mix it up for fun.

And despite my best efforts, I can only get the #11 spot on Silver Skull. I don't know how you guys get those scores, my best runs feel near flawless and I can't imagine that even if I did correct my couple small mistakes it still wouldn't give me that many more points to where you guys are. I'm a little over 200 points off the #1 spot, so is that extra milisecond or two really worth that much? I must be missing something.

12. qpawn

qpawn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    California, USA
    That reminds me what's so blatantly missing in Hook Champ... a generous amount of 8-bit cleavage. Maybe next game...

13. LunarKeys

LunarKeys Member

Feb 1, 2010
    What I did (Though I'm at #4, so, hey. =P):

- Use your steam jump at the beginning
    - Use your steam jump to plow through the first three sets of nine blocks
    - When you get to the fourth and fifth set of blocks, swing halfway into the set of the blocks, then throw your hook again. If you time it correctly, you will swing through the entire set without slowing down.
    - When you boost to snag the last red jewel at the end, throw your hook. If you time that correctly, you will freeze just above the set of blocks you bust through, then drop back down, saving you about half a second.

And, of course, don't mess up. Ever. At all. Seriously, a single hesitation on one of the sets of blocks was what cost me #2!

Good luck!

14. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Ohhhh, I didn't think about doing that. Everything else I'm doing, but this might give me that extra little bit that I need. I'll try it out, thanks!

15. drunkhobo15

Feb 5, 2010
    Waiter
    Fort Worth, Texas
    yah we need some generous anime style DDDDDD breasts lol

make it so kepa

16. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    That is a good tip. I hadn't thought of doing that. And that opens up some possibilities on other levels (e.g. Stone Skull). I'll have to play around with that one, and see if I can't improve my times. Thanks! ;)

17. Fluffeh

Fluffeh Well-Known Member

May 25, 2009
    student :P
    east coast.... somewhere
    Can I ask a noob question? On the Stone Wimpy about halfway through the level right where the hooks are there's a platform and beneath that there's a coin. How do I get the coin? Or at least a hint?

I had no idea I'd be so hooked on this game I'd care about a single coin. (pun intended :))

18. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    You should be able to walk on the platform, over the coin, and get it (or shotgun across the platform). However, you may need to upgrade your loot vacuum for that to work. Do you have an (fully) upgraded loot vacuum?

19. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    Dang! Qpawn, I see you crushed my Stone Skull score already. No surprise. I was trying to get closer to your 12185 score last night, and was quite surprised when I pulled off a 12253. However, your new score of 12411 blows mine away. You must have found some new technique or something. I thought I had a pretty good run. I think the key to that level is making the hallway transitions without slowing down. I did alright with those, but I have no idea how to get another 200 points.

20. miklamagic

miklamagic Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2010
    I see that zoo is improving his scores recently, but you're still about 9k points off me! As soon as I can get a good run on the Stone Skull (which I hate more than the Stone Hatbox) I will get another 1.5-2k points. I'll never let you reach #5, until I'm #4, them you can have it.