GameClub Hook Champ (by Rocketcat Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Slapshot, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Tap Dat App

Tap Dat App Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Professional Actor
    In the App Store
    Which character did you use to beat these levels? Hook Bot makes them easier but what's the point of going through all that if you don't even get the treasure chest full of hats at the end! :eek:

2. RJ

RJ Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    California
    Does anyone have an idea on which characters to use on each Stone Level?

I beat Stone with Hookbot, but that was only because i couldnt beat it with Gunny. :(

3. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    I used Zelle/Gunny for Stone and Bronze. You pretty much have to use Jake for Silver, because of his hot pants. I don't really ever use Hookbot so I'm not sure if he's good for the Hat levels or not.

The thing about Stone is just knowing the level. You get a bit farther each time, and start to develop a routine. The trickiest part are the rings. Eventually, it comes down to just executing everything in that one perfect run. It's a really cleverly designed level, my favorite Hat level actually.

Bronze is kind of confusing, because it's sort of all over the place. Blocks here, blocks there. It seems really haphazard. But it wasn't really difficult to beat, it only took a few tries. There's probably some really perfect route you're supposed to take that gets you all the loot, but I'll never bother to find it. It wasn't pretty, but I beat it, and I'm happy to leave it at that.

Silver is a cruel mistress. It's like one solid wall of skill challenge. It's pretty straightforward, but even if you know exactly what to do it's a whole different story actually doing it. If you thought the ring parts in Stone sucked, then you will hate Silver with a passion. I both love it and hate it at the same time. Just keep practicing is all I can say, and hopefully you can beat it before the madness sets in in your brain. Hardest. Level. Ever.

Gold I'm pretty sure everybody will be able to beat within the first couple of trys. ;)

4. Twiddle

Twiddle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    I'm still stuck on Gold. It's really hard.

5. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    That's sarcasm right? :p

6. Tap Dat App

Tap Dat App Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Professional Actor
    In the App Store
    Why is it like really easy? Haven't gotten there yet.

7. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Minigore levels completely done. The gameplay actually turned out really well. Tried to have it fairly easy for people that want to play it straight, and very difficult for speed runners. It's still possible to speed run these levels, it just requires some crazy precision.

8. Foozelz

Foozelz Well-Known Member

Can we have a sneak preview of whats going to be in his level? or the character himself

9. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Let's just say it's straight forward... literally.

That is really great news! I'm actually TOTALLY excited for the Minigore levels, despite the claims they're more "casual". I'm mostly excited to see how the gunfire gameplay turned out, because that may be a glimpse into the future of the possible Metroidvania type game. But if you guys have it dialed in to be both casual and hardcore, then that sounds perfect. Rocketcat rules. :cool:

10. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    qpawn, oh no you didn't! You already surpassed my Golden Skull score I set last night. Good job! At least it took you a few days to take back Stone and Silver Rat. I still didn't have perfect runs on those levels, and I don't know if I have the patience to try and do better on the Rat levels.

11. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    If we have time. I'm not sure, as we're really limited on time recently.

We'll be very carefully monitoring people's opinions on the Minigore level.

12. Foozelz

Foozelz Well-Known Member

Well anyway, good job on getting it done!

13. canadiandude

canadiandude Active Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Ok I was wondering if I play somebody in a level I haven't beat yet but I die and they beat the level, will the level be completed after?

I really need someone to add me and challenge forbidden silver. I can't do it.

14. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    I think I understand what you're asking, and no, you have to beat the level yourself. It has nothing to do with the challenges.

15. mitchell.

mitchell. New Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Does anybody have any of the 3000 coin hooks (Laser Hook, Grapplin' Cannon, Cursed Hook)? Do they have any special abilities or advantages over the regular maxed out hook?

16. zoo

zoo Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    *smashes head against wall*

I'm seriously going to add the answer to this question to my signature. But for now.. they're slightly better than the maxed out hook and rope, and have different graphics and sound effects.

mike, unlucky on Golden Skull. I wonder if qpawn uses the hotpants trick you revealed a while back?

17. miklamagic

miklamagic Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2010
    I just broke the top 20 grand total scores! Can someone send me a challenge so I can get the last achievement? My OF name is the same as my TA name.

18. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    But at least I can say that I was the first to break the 109XX score barrier. ;) Actually, I'm totally cool with qpawn breaking my scores now that I know he is a real person. I'd also be curious if he uses the hot pants trick. That is what I did when I got my latest run.

And as you mentioned I wish there were a way to get game videos of runs. Not that others (like qpawn) would want to share their secrets, but I think it would be cool to see if we run the levels in a similar manner or not. Plus I'd just like to see how he does run a level.

19. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    We thought about doing this early on. We decided against it. What really helped us decide against it was a Tower Defense game where you could see the playthroughs of everyone on the highscore boards. The whole thing just seemed kind of lame...

Looks like we might be doing a screenshot preview of the Minigore levels we're beta testing right now. Look for that fairly soon.

20. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    #2960 mikeg123, Feb 7, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
    Is there a reason you thought it was lame? It seems like it would be a cool feature for people that want it. And if you don't, then you don't have to do anything with it.

I don't want the feature to steal secrets for running a level or anything. I'm just a curious person, and in the case of qpawn, zoo, and others, I'd love to see how they run levels. Of course you have the choice to not share a video. I just think it is cool how we can continue to drill away at levels, and if we could combine techniques, maybe we could achieve that perfect run.