GameClub Hook Champ (by Rocketcat Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Slapshot, Oct 17, 2009.

1. jar0d

jar0d Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Europe
    Why?

I cannot understand why some of you are so worried about a game which is not even close to a release...

I am pretty sure that Rocketcat will do a great job! Let them do their work!

Perhaps some of you Hook Champ Freaks (no offense) can beta test or so... calm down and enjoy Hook Champ while you are waiting ;)

2. Kosikutioner

Kosikutioner Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Good point. I'd LOVE to beta test for Rocketcat.... Just sayin'!

3. Chrono Gear

Chrono Gear Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Peoria, Arizona
    I think a lot of us are enjoying Hook Champ while we wait. Can you blame us if we want more? I think it's great that there's so much excitement for a small developer's upcoming game. I just hope that they can all go full time and stop just buying pizza rolls with sales and start spending all their time making more bad ass games. :)

4. zoo

zoo Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    I am curious to see how Rocketcat pull off randomly generated levels. It's testament to their great level design that all the Hook Champ levels flow so well, and that many of them can be completed without ever touching the ground or faceplanting a wall. I can't see how randomly generated levels can capture that same magic, but maybe the gameplay itself will be significantly different so it won't be such a big deal.

5. Kinsey93

Kinsey93 Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Avalanche Game sounds Awesome!!! i kind of hope for a cross between dino run (or is it rush?) and hook champ. New Graphics look great too.

Any chance of us seeing any teaser or preview for the minigore level sets?

Im well addicted to Hook Champ again now and i really cant get past silver hatbox (cant do any hatboxes as anyone but hookbot) anyone got any shortcuts or tips to potentially save me - i already know about practice practice pracice :D

6. Twiddle

Twiddle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.

Okay, first and for-most, where did I say I was against structured levels? I am far from against structured levels, and in-fact my whole complaint was that the game wasn't mainly structured levels!

Secondly, I know what the game is going to include as of now, although it's still being perfected. I made it clear that I realize Kepa is creating levels.

Finally, my point was not to make endless mode an unlockable, that was just a small suggestion. My point is, games that are structured behind endless mode are not for me(I'm not going to get technical here, because my complaint wasn't technical and still isn't) It is as simple as that. Perhaps you are misinterpreting my comments.

I'm sure they will, I just enjoy getting some opinions on the game. Also, I am a Hook Champ Freak and a beta tester, so there. :D

Zoo pretty much summed up my thoughts, I am, perhaps, just a little more cautious about the gameplay.

7. Metalbear

Metalbear Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Just unlocked THE CANNON.

But I still get beat silver hatbox. I guess that's it for me and this game, until the Gore levels.

8. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    #2848 Guise, Feb 4, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
    No. Please reread my post, Twiddle. Nowhere does it suggest that you are against structured levels. Its point is that your comments don't make much sense. You wrote:

"I've been doing a little bit of thinking about this "Avalanche Game", and what I'm thinking is that there should be levels, like in Hook Champ, and then an unlockable endless mode. I played Canabalt on the flash version, and, although it's fun, it doesn't compare to actual levels. I bore of that game quickly, but I can almost guarantee that if Canabalt had levels, I would have bought the game."

First and foremost, if you were aware that the game will include both structured and procedurally generated game modes, what exactly is your argument? Should the developer design the structured levels first and then deal with 'endless' mode?

Secondmost, the quotes you included in your original post all implied that the game would not have structured levels and only feature endless procedural generation.

You seem not to have understood my post and to be contradicting yourself a bit. If you really only want a Hook Champ 2, it's possible to consider each new level pack as such.

9. Tap Dat App

Tap Dat App Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Professional Actor
    In the App Store
    So I have a question. Is game progress saved through OpenFeint? I'm like 90% sure this feature is now available, but that doesn't mean every game is using it yet. I really hope so for a complicated and long reason but game progress is very essential in this game and if it is only saved to the app, all may be lost under certain circumstances.

10. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    No. Kepa has talked about adding that (as many others have requested that feature), but I don't know if it is in the plans or when if it is.

11. psionic

psionic Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    i think he said the next update actually actually has it

12. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    #2852 Kepa, Feb 4, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
    Should be in update 4, unless we have to remove it due to bug reasons.

In silver hatbox, it's best to take the rings two at a time rather that one at a time, whenever possible.

We plan to submit update 4 as soon as possible, so a video teaser isn't likely. We could do screenshots or something.

The gameplay, even in endless mode, will be pretty similar to Hook Champ. It's still designed so that if you're doing great, you won't ever have to touch the ground.

Also, we finally set up an official Twitter for fast news updates. Follow us for UP TO THE MINUTE NEWS. We're also going to change the blog into a behind-the-scenes/art/fan art blog, and we'll set up a press mailing list (detailed major news updates) that's also open to the public.

13. Tap Dat App

Tap Dat App Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Professional Actor
    In the App Store
    Do you know around when Update 4 will be released or submitted?

14. Twiddle

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    This is starting to get a bit point-less. I was trying to start people to comment on ideas for the new game.

"First and foremost, if you were aware that the game will include both structured and procedurally generated game modes, what exactly is your argument? Should the developer design the structured levels first and then deal with 'endless' mode?"

I already told you what my point was. I'm not telling you again.

"Secondmost, the quotes you included in your original post all implied that the game would not have structured levels and only feature endless procedural generation."

Well, you didn't respond after my first post, you responded after I said this:
    "I want Kepa to see it, even though I know he posted that it will have levels."

So you should know that I knew that Kepa was making levels. Again, that comment is pointless.

"You seem not to have understood my post and to be contradicting yourself a bit. If you really only want a Hook Champ 2, it's possible to consider each new level pack as such."

I am in no way contradicting myself. I believe you are contradicting yourself, because you said you had no idea what my intentions were, then you said my intentions were that I wanted Hook Champ 2, and although I said that would be nice, I never said I expected Avalanche Game to be Hook Champ 2.

15. dumbname

dumbname Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    guys, shutup

16. LunarKeys

LunarKeys Member

Feb 1, 2010
    He originally stated that it was (hopefully) due for release in early/mid February, if possible. Of course, things might go wrong in beta testing, but otherwise...

Meanwhile, I can't stop playing the skull levels (Except Gold Skull, which I'm still terrible at). Moved up to top five in Stone Skull and raised my score by fifty on Silver Skull.

17. Twiddle

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    Yeah, I'm sorry. In case it is still unclear of what my intentions were, I'll quote them. And then I would like to follow those intentions:

So let's start talking about the new game, but on a positive note, because Rocketcat created such a great game. No more off-topic please!

I think that possibly there should be a level in the Avalanche Game, where instead of an avalanche, the main character should try to take a treasure, and it sets off a trap, resulting in a huge boulder rolling after him! (Indiana Jones inspired) :)

18. deeetour

deeetour Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Hey Kepa - you didn't actually mention the twitter account name - is it still going to be @hookchamp?

19. LunarKeys

LunarKeys Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Actually, if you go to @hookchamp, it links to the new one (found at http://twitter.com/rocketcatgames )

20. deeetour

deeetour Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Oh nice. Already followed then :)