GameClub Hook Champ (by Rocketcat Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Slapshot, Oct 17, 2009.

1. swishinj

swishinj Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2009
    CEO at Apple Inc.
    ya LOL, openfient is SLOW!!!!!!!!!!

2. Metalbear

Metalbear Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Kepa,

GLITCH REPORT:

When playing the silver skull, everytime I'd attempt to walk in the lava as Hookbot, I would get stuck. When I attempted to move, all hookbot did was throw the hook.
    (I gave no idea if this is a glitch, but check into it)

3. Twiddle

Twiddle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    Checked this out, and it does appear to be a glitch but it can be resolved simply by latching onto the ceiling. So, I don't think it would be worth redoing the whole level for.

4. Chrono Gear

Chrono Gear Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Peoria, Arizona
    Twiddle, I just read your sig. I can tell you that there are ~zillion awesome games that take up less than 10MB. I'd be willing to wager everything I own that pretty much every NES game was less than 10MB. There are a ton of incredible games for that system. Is Super Mario Brothers 3 less than 10MB? I wouldn't doubt it.

Now that I have successfully torn apart your thought, I would just like to say that it's very catchy and I would go ahead and use it anyway. :D

5. Twiddle

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    #2825 Twiddle, Feb 4, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
    Look what was on the front page today.

Umm, you didn't tear apart my thought. First and for-most, Hook Champ is THE best game for the iPhone(In my opinion, ofcourse) And secondly, compared to computer games that are well known and good games that take up over 1 gig of memory, 10MB is nothing. I find it obvious that NES games would take up about as much memory as Hook Champ, because Hook Champ was designed with that in mind. But those NES games don't compare to Hook Champ. What my real point was, is that it's amazing that I would like an old school game like this that takes up 10 MB, more than all the big time companies that have games that take up gigs of memory. I didn't even like Mario that much, which is a bit of a shock since I like platformers and retro-graphics.

EDIT: I've been doing a little bit of thinking about this "Avalanche Game", and what I'm thinking is that there should be levels, like in Hook Champ, and then an unlockable endless mode. I played Canabalt on the flash version, and, although it's fun, it doesn't compare to actual levels. I bore of that game quickly, but I can almost guarantee that if Canabalt had levels, I would have bought the game.

Here are also a few quotes I agree with:

6. Metalbear

Mar 21, 2009
    #2826 Metalbear, Feb 4, 2010
    I agree about the "Avalanche Champ" (I like that better) gameplay. IMO it should have some actual levels.

The glitch I found earlier should still be looked into, even if it can be "Resolved" by the player.

7. Twiddle

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    #2827 Twiddle, Feb 4, 2010
    I added your comment to my list of quotes I want Kepa to see it, even though I know he posted that it will have levels. What I think is that it should be based around levels and endless mode should just be a bonus. Not the other way around.

EDIT: And actually, when I think about it, most of the people that are going to be buying this "Avalanche Game" are going to be Hook Champ fans. I realize, Kepa, that you want this to be your big shot and that you think that Hook Champ didn't get it there,(did to me but hey whatever) so you're going to try something different so you can hopefully get on the top paid, but don't leave me hanging!(pun unintended) I don't want to start gripping about a game I haven't even played, but this whole gameplay element behind the "Avalanche Game" is getting me worried that it will be another Canabalt!

8. deeetour

deeetour Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Personally, I can't wait to see what Rocketcat can do with a procedurally generated world.

This is a new game, not Hook Champ 2.

9. Twiddle

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    #2829 Twiddle, Feb 4, 2010
    Good point, good point. But the thing is, I would be 100% happy with a Hook Champ 2 :)

And I've played many many games in endless mode for the iPod like Doodle Jump etc, and I just can't force myself to play for very long. Because to me, unless I'm proven otherwise by this game, endless mode is just repetitive mode.

10. dumbname

dumbname Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    bam, thats what got me. i see your point now.

11. justingamer

justingamer Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    get my nerve nervous , really cool. excellent creative:cool:

12. deeetour

Jan 15, 2010
    That's your opinion, which you're entitled to. If that's the case, Avalanche may not be for you.

I freaking love Canabalt. I freaking love Hook Champ. I'll probably freaking love Avalanche.

13. Twiddle

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    #2833 Twiddle, Feb 4, 2010
    I know it's my opinion. And I'm telling you my opinion so we can get some more feedback and opinions about the new game, as you're expressing. I'm excited for the new game, but I am also wondering how it could possibly top Hook Champ. Hook Champ was Rocketcats second game(for the iphone atleast), so I'm not sure they could pull off another game this good. I have faith in Rocketcat and Kepa, but at the same time I cannot help but bite my nails as I have plenty of time to think about how the new game will turn out.

14. deeetour

Jan 15, 2010
    Righty-o. Carry on :)

I think there are a few things going for the new game that will set it apart from other run / chase type games. For instance, it's going to have a deeper set of mechanics than say, Canabalt (which is a 1 mechanic game).

Also, the collection aspect that we all love in Hook Champ is returning, which will give you a reason other than score chasing to keep playing.

15. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    #2835 Guise, Feb 4, 2010
    Your argument confuses me, Twiddle. Unless I'm missing something, you seem to be against a procedurally generated game and for a game to have structured levels.

Hasn't Rocketcat announced that the main game mode will be procedurally generated but that designed levels will be included? And more importantly, that they plan to do level pack updates (like they do for Hook Champ) for the new game?

Unless you're just opposed to procedurally generated-type games in general (or you're saying you'd like the endless mode to be unlockable rather than the other way around), this new game sounds like it could be the best of both worlds. Correct me if I've misinterpreted your opinion and/or Rocketcat's statements about the new game's features.

16. Chrono Gear

Chrono Gear Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Peoria, Arizona
    But wouldn't a comparison to other similar style games be more apt? I mean, after all we are talking about an 8 bit game (more or less). Wouldn't you want to compare apples to apples? Is this game better than Fallout 3 for example? Probably not. You can't compare the scale and scope of the two on the same terms.

17. Bluellama1

Bluellama1 Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Student
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    Avalanche Game is NOT going to be procedurally generated, but randomly generated. The difference is that, in a randomly generated game, one game you could get to 5000 points and see swamp, sewer, and desert, but another game of equal score you could see swamp, lava, and snow where in a procedurally generated game it would always be swamp, snow, lava, desert, sewer, ect. In the same order.

18. deeetour

Jan 15, 2010
  19. Metalbear

Mar 21, 2009
    Ahem...

Avalanche Champ. :D

20. TheSporkWithin

TheSporkWithin Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2010
    College student, studying English/Japanese lit.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Procedural_generation

No. Procedural generation is just content generated by an algorithm rather than being coded into the game. Think Diablo or Torchlight dungeons.