Universal Hodappy Bird by Madgarden

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Eli, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

#1 Eli, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014

What started as a ridiculous proposal in a bar at GDC has since turned in to the game which will bring about a new era of iOS gaming. Forget everything you thought you knew about video games. Hodappy Bird is nearly upon us. It's going to be submitted soon, and will be quickly available as a free download.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

It has bitcoins you can find (and mine via watching Vungle videos) which are then spent to randomize Hodappy Bird's appearance along with ACTUAL PAY TO WIN MECHANICS where you can buy increasingly expensive continues. If that's not your thing, the alternate Super Hodappy Bird 64 is the pure pro gamer mode you're looking for with no continues allowed AND shifted color palette which makes Gunnar gaming glasses required.

COMING SOON FOR... ZERO DOLLARS.

2. geno11233

geno11233 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    What are you doing trying to hype this game up like that... "Forget everything you knew about video games" hahahahahaha

3. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Hodappy Bird is for gamers with discerning tastes, clearly you aren't hardcore enough.

4. mguniverse

mguniverse Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2009
  5. geno11233

Nov 29, 2013
    I wasn't trying to offend you. It seems like a joke. Literally and intentionally.

6. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

I'm not offended, I just realize that this game might just be too good for a lot of people out there to understand. It's like when you watch Citizen Kane as a child and your takeaway is "What the hell is 'Rosebud'?"

7. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    #7 coolpepper43, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
    Great 1! Lol. I wonder if anyone will believe this? I love that you have a screen shot of a video ad. It would be awesome if in the end the jokes on me. I wish I could add spoiler in the TA app.

8. zeromhz

zeromhz Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2009
    #8 zeromhz, Mar 31, 2014
    Hodappy Bird FIRST REVIEW

Hodappy Bird in a word, is complete iPhone perfection. Similar to how Casablanca and Citizen Cane are taught in film schools around the planet as the greatest movies of all time, Hodappy Bird will no doubt quickly become the text book example of a excellence in iPhone gaming and will serve as a benchmark for all new iPhone developers to aspire to when searching for App Store greatness.

Similar to JRR Tolkein's Lord of the Rings trilogy redefining the fantasy genre as we know it today, madgarden's Hodappy Bird has forever changed the flappy gaming scene. The game's protagonist, Hodapp, flaps in the air minding his own business. By tapping the screen, he begins flapping in the air towards small gaps between pipes that represent comments, PR e-mails, and toucharcade forum assholes.

During flight through the air, you earn points by making it through gaps between tubes and collecting bitcoins. If you even come close to a tube you will die, but don't fear because you can spend your bitcoins to continue the game! If you don't have bitcoins, the game lets you mine bitcoins right there! I mean come on what more can you ask for? No IAPs! The game even includes a Super Hodapp 64 Pro mode that makes everything more amazing by changing the colors.:D

Now you may think to yourself "oh this is just another dumb Flappy Bird clone!" However you would be mistaken! According to the creator Eli Hodapp, he actually met Grandmaster Dong and got personal approval for this project! That means this is the first officially condoned Flappy Bird clone EVER. Think about that for a minute. Doesn't that blow your ####ing mind?

While Hodappy Bird has a limited GameCenter setup, the amazing art and sound design will have both art snobs and audiophiles alike amazed with the overall production. Hodapp is drawn with such absolute clarity that the game almost feels life-like. The sound effects, whether a bloop or a beep, are masterfully recorded and feature a warmth and tonality which is often lost in highly compressed iPhone audio tracks. These things combined create an immersive gaming experience which is rivaled by few other titles on the App Store today.

But don't take my word for it, instead, watch the video- http://files.me.com/ehodapp/xm0wfh.mov

My only regret is not having a camera capable of picking up all the subtle nuances in the art, and while I believe the h.264 codec is the best video codec available today... Hodappy Bird is a game which truly must be experienced to be fully appreciated.

(Oh god please no one take this seriously.)
    (If you don't get it read http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=10211).

9. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    Needs more timers and premium currencies

10. HansKaosu

HansKaosu Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2013
    This is real hardcore stuff.. not for the faint of heart.

11. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    I wish there was a like button for the forums. Fantastic review!

12. geno11233

Nov 29, 2013
    Alllllot more!

13. Robot:String

Robot:String Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2013
    Game & Web Designer
    Madrid, Spain
    I just erased my iPhone in anticipation!
    I really don't need any other app, as long as I have Hodappy Bird in my phone.
    Counting the hours till release!!!!!

14. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    ... Oh my god. I understand now. We've had it wrong the whole time!

*Deletes Threes, smashes iPhone, goes to buy an Android*

15. squashy

squashy Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    Truly legendary! Already, a rage-quit gamer, even though no flap has been made yet :cool:

16. Robot:String

Robot:String Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2013
    Game & Web Designer
    Madrid, Spain
    If, like me, you're a HodappyBirdliever and you #believethehype, share this app with your loved ones as soon as it's released!
    :)

17. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    #17 Gov, Mar 31, 2014
    Haha nice one. Want to try the old school version.

18. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #18 JCho133, Mar 31, 2014
    No, not "rage-quit." Enlightened is more like it.

19. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    Ever since I saw this game, I stopped playing all my other ones. Everything looks and feels like boring crap compared to just staring at the preview screenshots posted in this thread.

Hodappy Bird will ruin gaming forever, simply because no game before or after will ever compare to the sheer amazement and unprecedented enjoyment that this game will bring. We are standing on the brink of both the apocaplypse and the rapture of the videogame universe.

20. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    So is this worth a download?