Universal Highrise Heroes - The Towering Word Game (by Noodlecake Studios Inc)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Dec 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fiskadoro

fiskadoro Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Do you still have some kind of profanity or "kid friendly" filter active for this game? I noticed this during testing because I couldn't use the word "fart" (informal, but certainly not profane or offensive). Playing just now it wouldn't accept the word "whore" which should surely be allowed.

2. Tastyfish

Tastyfish Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2011
    I am greatly enjoying this game.

It does not accept the word Penis.

3. Ryan_Noodle

Ryan_Noodle Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jan 29, 2013
    Biz guy at Noodlecake Studios
    Saskatoon
    There is a family friendly filter on currently. These kind of things are so subjective it is hard to say. Something seemingly harmless to one person could be offensive to another. Lots of words out there so best route is to just steer clear entirely ;)

4. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Hey, a word is a word. If someone is offended by the English language then they can not play. I doubt they'd try and make the word in the first place.

5. MasonHurst

MasonHurst Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Man I am loving this game - too much - ! The unhurried pace on most levels is awesome.

I tend to freeze up spelling decent length words when a timer is running so this game allows me to be the spelling *badass* that I always knew I was! #

I already got three bucks a fun out of it so I'm splurging to help the devs. Also left an embarrassingly positive review on the App Store if that helps.

It would be nice if there were some separate save slots so I could share this with my wife and kids though... just a suggestion for a future update.

6. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Just a note for the dev- this game is murdering my battery.

7. fiskadoro

Jan 1, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Yuck. I don't agree with this at all. Sure, certain swear words are not usually accepted in many word games, and I can understand those being filtered. But I can't remember a game that bans pretty ordinary and innocent words just because they may possibly cause offense to someone (like "fart" or "penis"). Where do you draw the line? What about legit words like "cock" or "bitch" which, when used in their normal context, are not offensive?

How about an option to turn a family-friendly filter on or off? You could still keep certain swear words out, but at least allow words we normally use like the words mentioned above.

As the proud dad of a toddler myself, I cannot possibly see how the word "penis" is in any way offensive -- it's simply the proper name for a certain part of the male anatomy and I'd rather she grew up using that word than something silly and made-up.

Please note -- this does NOT detract from my enjoyment of the game much -- I like it a lot. It's more about the questionable decision to not turn off the family-friendly filter, which I noticed when testing and was told would be turned off for the official release.

8. Ryan_Noodle

Patreon Gold

Jan 29, 2013
    Saskatoon
    To be honest I it has more to do with the actual filter being used than our personal opinion on which words are ok or not. That wouldve been a long arduous process that wouldve resulted in a lot of debate. I will have to double check with Fallen Tree as the type of filter being used and if there is one that is a little more liberal but you do hit the nail on the head when you say "where do you draw the line".

The answer is that line is much different for everyone. I will chat Fallen Tree and see if there is some middle ground that the filters will allow but also being dependent on these pre-determined word sets is also a logistical concern.

9. Ryan_Noodle

Patreon Gold

Jan 29, 2013
    Saskatoon
    Thanks for playing. That is a cool idea. We will run it by the dev team!

10. aconfusedkender

aconfusedkender Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    While on the topic of running stuff by the dev team. Maybe once the game is over I know people have asked for an "endless" mode. SO I have an idea to pitch about that.

Maybe start the game with a "X Turns" like say 50 or 30 turns but by matching certain "objectives" or by tile drops there are "extra turn" tiles in there too. So you have the option to take it to "endless" or just not spell with those letters to keep your turn count going down. I mean there has to be a stopping point or a way to end it somehow (which thinking about it doesn't sound endless but still) or it will go until your battery dies.

Idk just a random thought. Maybe throw it at the team or wall and see if some of it sticks.

Thanks

11. fallentreegames

fallentreegames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Mar 14, 2010
    Game Developers!
    UK
    Fantastic comments and feedback, guys! Rest assured that Joe and I are taking copious notes and all suggestions, criticisms and comments are being taken seriously, and considered for a future update.

Glad you're enjoying it, and keep the feedback coming!

12. fiskadoro

Jan 1, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    And thanks to you and Ryan_Noodle for responding in this forum! It's really encouraging when users leave comments, whether critical or otherwise, and see the actual devs taking note of them or responding to them.

13. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    LMAO on poor Lydia whom got always stuck with "the hairy ones".. I mean, the story is awesome, so enjoyable. I made it through 25 floors with all the bananas and stars possible so far but it's getting tricky to get everything. I'm not sure if it's just me or any other ESL/EFL players. Anyway, I'm still having fun and looking forward to uncover the whole story.

14. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    What are the gems for? There doesn't appear to be anything to spend them on.

15. cowtruck123

cowtruck123 Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Came here to ask this too. I hate that it shows the hints as it ruins my thought process. Other than that its my favorite word game on ios next to Letter Quest

16. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    #56 macplash, Dec 13, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
    if by hints you mean highlighting the words after a couple of seconds of inactivity it doesn't bother me at all cause those are always the simplest words possible (3 letters mostly), how does it affect your thinking process?

you can buy additional 45 seconds in timed levels in exchange for 2 gems if I remember correctly but I didn't try it yet

17. MasonHurst

MasonHurst Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2013
    The flashing arrows and then later... the flashing tiles bothered me too. It's distracting and unneeded...

The good news is that it finally quits at chapter two.

18. Dymonic

Dymonic Active Member

May 8, 2014
    Need to update your dictionary, satan/Santa/aquire and more words need to be added

19. Andrey1610

Andrey1610 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Cheats for 3 stars:

Kill characters, then revive by watching ads, you will get additional turns/time for building words and grinding high score. This also work for levels with bear and cat. But didn't work for banana level and numbers

Hope this will be fixed in update. Maybe with zero score after reviving.

20. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    The first two are proper names, which usually aren't allowed (hadn't tried in this game, so not sure) and the third sis spelled incorrectly.