Universal High Rise - A Puzzle Cityscape (by smpl Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, May 18, 2020.

1. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Okay, now I’m upset.

I had a new strategy.
    Got a fine run going.
    Smashed my high score by 3x what it used to be.
    Had the board set up so that I could get into the 50k points zone.
    Locked my phone for literally under a minute.
    Open the game up again and it reset. No points. No board. No progress.

You guys seriously need to add some way to save progress between shutting down and reopening the game.
    In this situation I didn’t have much space left on my device (because of recording each run) and the OS dumped the game from memory in the brief moment the screen was locked.

I am now incredibly disheartened and disappointed. :(

Edit:
    It’s a huge testament to how great the game is though, that I’m going to go right back in. I just won’t see a run that good for a little while.

2. StraightlineBoy

Nov 10, 2012
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Definitely exactly what I’ve been looking for ages, something to replace Threes which I’ve officially played to death!

I do think there’s a bug where the next piece is incorrect sometimes which is frustrating. I thought I was imagining it at first but it’s happened too often for that to be the case (although it’s still quite rare)

I’ve not had the issue that is described above about losing progress. I seem to be able to pick the phone, swap apps etc without losing anything (yet).

3. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    I love this one. Great find.

4. StraightlineBoy

Nov 10, 2012
    West Yorkshire, UK
    #24 StraightlineBoy, May 30, 2020
    Last edited: May 30, 2020
    V1.0.2 is on the App Store now

5. fgrolig

fgrolig Member

Oct 9, 2014
    Game Designer
    Berlin
    Nice that you like it and thanks for your feedback. We just released a patch with a first try to solve this potential wrong block bug. Would be good to knowing you still have the problem w the update.

6. soniclife

soniclife Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Hamburg
    So after dozens of rounds (with a 20K-Highscore) I am pretty sure that High Rise will be my GOTY. I hope my suggestions above may find their way in an update. Another (personal) thing: I don‘t like the App-Icon very much since it does not reflect the overall aesthetics - and the blue building without a gap doesn’t “fit“...

fgrolig likes this.
  7. StraightlineBoy

Nov 10, 2012
    West Yorkshire, UK
    I’m going to play the game for a few days with screen recording on because I honestly don’t know if I’m imagining it or not. I’ll let you know how I get on

fgrolig and aussiepaul like this.
  8. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    I have several times.

9. fgrolig

fgrolig Member

Oct 9, 2014
    Game Designer
    Berlin
    That would be amazing! Thanks a lot!

10. StraightlineBoy

Nov 10, 2012
    West Yorkshire, UK
    I’ve got to say that the screen recordings are making me doubt my sanity at the moment. Each time something unexpected happens I’ve checked the video and it’s been me that was wrong. I’ll post if I capture anything but right now maybe I’ve just got to play more slowly and concentrate more! Still playing loads

11. aussiepaul

aussiepaul Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2013
    I too thought the wrong piece was being placed, but when I concentrate on the next piece all is good.
    I feel it is the mind looking ahead further than the next piece, hence making us error in our positioning.

Frispn and fgrolig like this.
  12. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    If it turns out that there’s no bug, this would make for an interesting psychological study.

For the record, my partner and I are in the same boat: we both would swear up and down that the block placed was not the block we thought it was, but every time I’ve gone back through my own recordings... it’s been correct.

13. fgrolig

fgrolig Member

Oct 9, 2014
    Game Designer
    Berlin
    I really would like to thank everyone here for your help. Even doing recordings, thanks so much for your time and the support! Please let me know if you can reproduce and verify the bug.
    For now i think that, while the bug stays a mystery, the most urgent issue is that the ui layout allowes the player to focus on the wrong block and we'll try to come up with a solution for that.
    We already changed it slightly since release, putting the active block in the center of the screen and adding a minimal animation but that seems to be not enough.

Frispn and aussiepaul like this.
  14. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    That’s actually helped a lot!

My partner did raise a concern that I share though - the contrast between placed towers can make it a little hard to see sometimes. As you move the view around, sometimes the towers blend into one another and edges disappear.

I don’t have a good suggestion, except maybe an optional “outlines” toggle where you get a darker solid outline along the corners of each tower? (Just thinking)

fgrolig likes this.
  15. fgrolig

fgrolig Member

Oct 9, 2014
    Game Designer
    Berlin
    Done. We found a solution. Ok Ok, it took a while, but did i mention, that we're a team of two with day jobs? Anyway, update 1.2 is live now and it adds:
    • autosave
    • two more color schemes (dark + contrast) that we would love to get some feedback on, as our possibilities to test with color blind players are very limited
    • optional 'double tap' to reduce wrongly placed blocks
    • no 'undo', because there's 'double tap' now ,and you don't need that anymore, right?
    Now that we have skin support it's not too much trouble to add new colors, so if you have a combination of 4 (+1 for the BG) you'd like to see in the game let me know.
    Hope you'll all enjoy the update and keep up the very useful feedback.

Echoseven and aussiepaul like this.
  16. ApexNautical

ApexNautical New Member

Jun 21, 2020
    I know this might be blindingly obvious but can someone tell me how I can call up the IAP screen again? iOS, iPhone 11. I managed to see it once, and I did the purchase to remove ads but I don't see it in the purchases section.

17. fgrolig

fgrolig Member

Oct 9, 2014
    Game Designer
    Berlin
    The IAP screen shows between two games. The easiest way to get there is to start a game, go to the pause menu and choose 'Rebuild'. Either the IAP is still detected, then you'll see nothing, or the screen pops up and you should have a 'Restore License' button at the bottom. Is there a problem with the IAP?

18. ApexNautical

ApexNautical New Member

Jun 21, 2020
    I think this is what confused me - I saw it once, and then it never triggered again so I couldn't be sure if the purchase had gone through or not. But looking at purchase history, I think it has so there isn't a problem.

I am accustomed to seeing the IAP control in options somewhere so it was a little surprising when I couldn't find it there.

Like the new themes in 1.2, thank you. Now to move out of the sub 5k score scrub zone

19. ggallin

ggallin Well-Known Member

May 10, 2013
    Photographer
    Argentina
    I love the new themes, a true dark black background would be great

Background

Buildings:
    #0dfc05
    #2c26f1
    #f706bc
    #ffff00

Dots:
    #cccccc

Menu:
    #00ffff

Again, awesome game!

20. Frispn

Frispn New Member

Aug 22, 2021
    Love this game. Finally hit the 40k!
    Going for 50k now :)

What are the high scores for this game?
    I can not access them on my Android.
    I see the "Leaderboards"-option but nothing happens when I try to press it.

Attached Files:

Echoseven likes this.