"Hi, How Are You" promo codes up for grabs!

Discussion in 'Promo Codes and Contests' started by sbroumley, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Autilian

Autilian Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Game Developer
    Ireland
    Ok after going over and over trying to do what i wanted, i feel i can better say what my problem is now. The jump in the game is based on the current speed the character is moving. So my problem is that when i want to make a quick jump back i'm never moving fast enough backwards with the character to get the distance i would like from the back jump to avoid enemies.

2. secondtime

secondtime Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2009
    I tried the lite. Fun game! I actually prefer the tilt controls and adjusted the sensitivity as suggested earlier. That does seem to help. Sometimes it does seem to take a little effort to make the character go backwards (toward user). It's probably fine, but I did have to change the sensitivity to make it work better for me. So, you may want to make the default a little more sensitive.
    I like the art - very unique and fun. And having OpenFeint is a good thing, in my opinion.

3. Peje

Peje Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2009
    I like how it is designed but I don't like the tilt controls

4. pajo_ojap

pajo_ojap Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2009
    okay probably to late, but here goes the biggest complaint I had is I played it got to the second set, ran out of time and got killed and crashed out of the game (lite version). Maybe this was a one shot deal but. Other than that I thought the lite version was fun. It has more than enough game play to get a real good feel for the game. The music was even very listenable and I'm mostly a hard rock/metal fan. I'm going back to try it again so you'll have to wait for more comments.

5. sbroumley

sbroumley Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Video Games Software Engineer
    Austin, TX
    Ok - I'm back. And I get it - you basically want the in air movement speeds/acceleration to be the same as the ground movement. Sounds good. I'll have a tinker around to see if I can make jump speeds more responsive. Thanks Autilian!

6. sbroumley

Oct 16, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Thanks secondtime - I've just PM'd you a code!

7. sbroumley

Oct 16, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Hi Peje, thanks for the reply. Can you be a bit more specific please - what part of the design do you like, and what don't you like about the tilt controls? (how would you improve them?). Also - did you try the joystick controls? Did you actually try the game LOL?

8. sbroumley

Oct 16, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Thanks pajo_ojap. Sorry about the crash. Try the old iphone reboot incase the iphone ran out of memory. I'm curious to get your full impression of the lite build. Maybe there are too many levels for the lite version?

9. sbroumley

Oct 16, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I've still got 2 more codes to give away...

10. Autilian

Dec 29, 2009
    Game Developer
    Ireland
    Just wanted to add something else, I've noticed from this thread a lot of talk about controls and little knowledge of the joystick option.

Maybe before people play the game for the first time you should ask them to choose which conrtol scheme the prefer and after notify them that they can always change it again in the options to raise awarness of this.

If this is done then maybe before they dislike the controls in the lite version they will change and prefer the other scheme and it will end up in more upgrades to full versions.

11. sbroumley

Oct 16, 2009
    Austin, TX
    That's a great idea! I'll add that in the next update.

12. Autilian

Dec 29, 2009
    Game Developer
    Ireland
    Just glad to be of some use after your generosity.

13. lalala6

lalala6 Active Member

Oct 28, 2009
    What I liked: nice smooth graphics, nice music, and one of the funnest games I've played.
    What I don't like: tilt controls, when you tilt down, you can't see the screen. For joystick controls, sometimes when you move your finger to the left you move out of the screen, and the frog stop. I suggest you move the joystick a bit to the right.

14. sbroumley

Oct 16, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Thanks lalala6 - I just pm'd you a code. Joystick one is an easy fix. Not sure about the tilt. Have you tried going into the settings and calibrating/set sensitivy so you don't have to tilt as much? Maybe there are better defaults you can suggest? Also - is anyone using the tilt-meter in the top left of the screen. It tells you the analog input of the tilt so you know when you are at max tilt values or centered.

As for the promo code giveaway, I'm all out of codes until next time. Thanks for playing everyone!

15. lalala6

lalala6 Active Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Thanks for the code. I tried increasing sensitivity and now I can tilt better. Maybe you can try touch controls?

16. sbroumley

Oct 16, 2009
    Austin, TX
    That's funny you mention touch controls because the game actually has a virtual joystick (goto options -> controls). There has been a good suggestion of upon initial game launch, prompting the player to select either tilt or joystick controls and then remember that setting there on (you can still change in the options -> controls screen too).

Maybe I should ask the gamers a poll on which method should be the default. I hear more complaints about the tilt than the joysticks.

17. lalala6

lalala6 Active Member

Oct 28, 2009
    What I meant was, touch the top of the screen to move up, touch the bottom of the screen to move down.

18. sbroumley

Oct 16, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Interesting suggestion. Would you still want tilt to move left/right?

19. lalala6

lalala6 Active Member

Oct 28, 2009
    No, touch left/right to move left/right too.

20. sbroumley

Oct 16, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ok - so I'd have to remove/move the camera buttons that are currently at the left/right edge of the screen then?