"Hi, How Are You" promo codes up for grabs!

Discussion in 'Promo Codes and Contests' started by sbroumley, Jan 15, 2010.

1. sbroumley

sbroumley Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Video Games Software Engineer
    Austin, TX
    Hi everyone,

I have 10 HHAY promo codes to give away. This time, it's an easy challenge:

Simply install and play the free [app]Hi, How Are You Lite[/app] version of the game, then answer the following questions in this thread:

1) What don't you like about about the lite version?
    2) What do you like about the lite version?

Please post your answers to this thread and then hey-presto! - I'll PM you a promo code :)

cheers,
    Steve.

2. wubbs

wubbs Member

Jan 6, 2010
    I like the bright colors used in the game but i feel i have to tilt too much to control the character i like the music too.

3. zac of spades

zac of spades Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2009
    i like being able to play this awesome game for free
    and dont like that the lite version ends so soon....

4. sbroumley

Oct 16, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for the (very fast) feedback wubbs - code has been PM'd to you! As for your tilt problem, did you try changing the sensitivy settings on the options->controls screen? Maybe you can tell me a better default value (currently Horiz/Vert are at 50%).

cheers,
    Steve.

5. sbroumley

Oct 16, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Thanks zac of spades. I doubt you even played the demo, but I PM'd you a code for your humor alone :)

6. Drkdstoyer

Drkdstoyer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Artist for a developing game
    Tennessee
    Hi i downloaded the lite version of this game and loved it!
    the only thing i would say is that like someone else said the tilting thing... I tried what u said but it didnt help a ton :( But i love the way you play the game!!! thanks for a cool and awesome game :)

7. Autilian

Autilian Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Game Developer
    Ireland
    What I like from the lite version was the tone of the game, the graphics and the music/ sound effects gave a feel of the Beatles and there movie yellow submarine. However I hated that movie, but I think this type of style works very well in the game and gives a nice trippy feel, which is an art direction you don't see that often.

From the lite version I cant really pick a thing that I disliked per say, more then something that I felt I would have liked added, which would be the ability to reverse. I know I can turn around and move back but I felt wanting a button Ii could hold and tilt back to just hop backwards at some points in the levels.

8. Kevd

Kevd Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    I'm a big fan of the trippy style of the game. Not sure why this hasn't found more success. I think the screenshots don't really do it justice. You really need to play it to get a good feel. I have to agree about the tilting, though. I much prefer d-pad/joypad/touch controls for platformers. Just my opinion.....

9. abruce42

abruce42 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    I loved the way the lite version gave me a full sense of what the game whould be like and what I would be buying. Needless to say, I bought the game.

I dont really have any qualms about the lite, only the fact that I spent..... wait no it was free, and I guess perfect!

10. wubbs

wubbs Member

Jan 6, 2010
    tried the horiz/vert at 100 percent on both and is working better for me thanks :)

11. sbroumley

Oct 16, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Thanks Drkdstoyer - PM with code sent. Did you try the virtual joystick? I'm wondering if we should set the joystick to be the default control rather than the tilt.

12. sbroumley

Oct 16, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Thanks Autilian - PM with code sent! Did you try holding down the stop button + tilt backwards, and then quickly release/hold the stop button again to hop backwards a tad? If that doesn't work, any ideas on where such a back button would go? Also - did you know about the virtual joystick control option?

13. Drkdstoyer

Drkdstoyer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Artist for a developing game
    Tennessee
    Yes i did i just tried it and definately like it a little better :) I think it would be a better deffault :)

14. shishio99

shishio99 Active Member

Dec 13, 2009
    I definitely like the music and the unique concept of stepping on all the panels to win.

What I don't like is the controls. It could be improved.

15. sbroumley

Oct 16, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for the feedback Kevd - promo PM'd. As for the controls, did you know about/try the virtual joystick?

16. sbroumley

Oct 16, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Thanks abruce42 - PM sent!

17. sbroumley

Oct 16, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for the feedback shishio99 - promo code PM'd. Wrt controls - do you have any suggestions on how to improve them? Did you know/try the virtual joystick?

18. Autilian

Autilian Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Game Developer
    Ireland
    I went and try'd the stop button, but once i let go he runs back when i'm tilting back rather then a small hop. The joystick control didn't exactly do what i felt was needed either.

I suppose what i mean is i can tap to jump and tilt and direction and once i land ill be facing that direction.
    What i felt was needed was to be able to jump like that, but still be facing the same direction you were before the jump, so that u can jump back avoid an enemy and then tilt forward to run on.

It's that there is a slight delay to turning around that would not be there if this was implemented.

As to where i would implement it, if its possible to tell the difference between a tap and hold, then maybe a tap could be to jump as it is where u face the direction you jumped, while a hold could be a hop where you keep facing the direction you were before the hop.

19. sbroumley

Oct 16, 2009
    Austin, TX

Ok I understand what you mean now. That would be really tricky to tune due to the small time delay window for tap/hold etc.

What's interesting is that if you ignore the direction the character is facing asthetically, you'll find the character always moves in the direction you tilt (or push the joystick). So maybe I'm missing something else that you are trying to do?

20. sbroumley

Oct 16, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I've got 4 more codes remaining, but I have to go offline for a few hours. I'll check back later to see if anyone else plays the lite version and answers the challenge questions!

thanks,
    -Steve.