Hey Parents! Free promos for 3 kids' games

Discussion in 'Promo Codes and Contests' started by fairlady, Aug 30, 2010.

1. fairlady

fairlady Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Owner: Fairlady Media
    Raleigh, NC
    I have a couple of Whizzit 123 and Whizzit Words codes left. Who'd like 'em for the kiddies? :)

2. dsigns

dsigns Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    I'll take the 123 game

3. fairlady

Dec 31, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Sent! Enjoy! :)

4. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Whizzit Words please.

5. fairlady

Dec 31, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Sent! Enjoy! :)

6. jackii

jackii Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Thanks a lot! My son would love Candy Blast( or Whizzit Words).

7. fairlady

Dec 31, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Sent! I hope he likes our games!

8. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

I haven't written my reviews yet, but feel posting here would be better.

Candy Blast, unfortunately, is my least favorite out of the apps. It seems 100% pointless, the controls are messy and out of all the games you can buy out there for kids, entertainment wise, I couldn't really recommend this - sorry. I won't post this in a review, because if there were other things you could add into it, maybe SOME features to make it interesting, then it might deserve a second look.

And it might be appealing to a young child, but to a 3+ year old child, it's just... Not interesting. And the background "music", while kinda cute, tends to get annoying fairly quickly.

NOW - Whizzit Words has a lot of potential. I'm always looking for spelling applications, and ones that have a phonics twist on them. This one I was intrigued by, until I started it up and realized that it is pointless for any child over 2 or 3.

You could have a 20 letter word, but because the mouse immediately displays the letters, and in order, it becomes nothing more than finding the letter and putting it in its spot, something a very young child could do.

If he weren't there to help, at least not initially, then there would be promise and I'd like my children to play it more, as it WOULD help them learn how to spell, but for now - it doesn't do anything or help them with anything, unfortunately :(

Any chance you can at least change up Whizzit Words? Because if so, that's a must have for my kids!!

9. jackii

jackii Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Disturb! I'v got two games' code.If it is convenient,I'd love a code for Whizzit Counting 123, Thank you very much!

10. fairlady

Dec 31, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks for the detailed feedback... if you have a chance to elaborate on a few of my questions below, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Hm, that's interesting; we've gotten feedback from others that Candy Blast is more fun (although less educational) than Whizzit Words and Whizzit 123. You had mentioned difficulty with the controls, which was a bit surprising because all the player needs to do is touch the candies to blast them (moving the ship up and down is completely optional). I'm wondering whether you can elaborate on that? Or offer suggestions for features that would improve the game?

In our play-testing with kids, we found that without the hint the kids didn't know what to do with the letters... so we added the hint. Would it be helpful to add a setting in the options menu that would allow the hints to be turned off?

Thanks again for the feedback; we're always looking for ways to improve our games!

11. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Sorry - I didn't clarify enough regarding the controls. It wasn't that they were difficult, just a bit messy - moving the ship, pointing the "firing cannon", they all worked but it wasn't very sturdy, it seemed very rubbery, if that makes sense?

Outside of that, adding things like facial animations to the character, putting some sort of goals to scoring and achievement progress for kids, or maybe making it educational by shooting specific letters based on vocal queues - adding that into the game would most certainly help the "value", that way it can be educational and fun - maybe leave it as an option.

You could do word sounds, or phonic sounds and have it just as great for a small child (candy shooting mode) to a kindergarten or someone that's just starting to read/spell.

I think having the option to turn it off and/or having the hint hidden unless clicked on would be the best.

OR in place of the initial hint, word sounds. Maybe word sounds if you click on the empty space and if you need a lot of help, you click on the character to the left?

It's just tough as a parent, with games like Super Why and the "TeachMe" series, as well as the new Montessori applications to justify purchasing games that don't cover multiple bases.

I'm still amazed there aren't more phonic based reading games out there, word sounds, etc. Super Why and the TeachMe game work well for that - but outside of that, it's few and far between.

Again - both games are very much suited and entertaining for very young children, but when you're coming closer to late preschool/kindergarten level, they lose much of their appeal.

Does that make sense?

12. fairlady

Dec 31, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks for the great feedback; we'll definitely take these points into consideration for our next round of updates (and our new games that are in development as well!).